No Time To Die wardrobe: possible spoilers

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    We used to put laces in the issued ‘woolly pully’ collar ourselves to stop the neck sagging and to keep the lines tight. I still have several of mine.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent
    edited December 2019
    JTM wrote:
    Minus the drawstring it looks pretty much identical to a sweater issued in the navy, at least here down under and I’m assuming UK as well.

As well as in Finland, in addition to a genuine mil issue peacoat it's the only piece of swabbie (or "Paramilitary Boat Club" as the navy is known in Finland) kit I will ever stoop down to wear... :)) :)) :))
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • shilton125shilton125 SCOTLANDPosts: 355MI6 Agent
    Hi yes i'm still serving and have been since 1988. The drawstring is not done now but was back then to keep the neck line looking smart as they often stretched and looked untidy. The drawstring did have to be on the inside though.
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    I guess the question will be, at least once we confirm the official version's price, what is the best alternative?
    "Better late than never."
  • sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent
    It seems like i am in the minority here but i am not a huge fan of this look and the jumper. It probably fits the film but i am not sure about the practicality of wearing it and how this will look for the regular person as day to day wear. I would have thought a drawstring is not the ideal thing to have around the neck of a jumper...it can be used to strangle the person wearing it!!
  • NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    Skippy wrote:
    Noi wrote:
    yeah and if its really from the navy/military we can take a breath because those jumpers aren't very expensive and they will produce them over and over.
    but the collar is indeed very odd. especially with those drawstrings. never seen that before in combination with military-jumpers.
    you can combine that sweater with the connolly jacket and you've got an blue in blue double drawsting outfit, höhö.

The military jumper with a drawstring on the outside configuration is a nod to old-school UK Special Forces. Think 1980's British Special Air Service (SAS) barrack dress - they had a thing for having the boot-lace on show at the front, but unfortunately I can't find a picture from that era that shows it. I have no idea if it was something the Special Boat Service (SBS) went in for though, given Bond's Naval back history and all that.

Back when I served in the 1990's those jumpers were still being issued and the unit I was in (not SF) had you put paracord in the neck so your could keep the top of the jumper tight and looking smart (as someone else here mentioned), but we had to do it on the inside of the collar and then tuck the loose ends in so you couldn't see them.

If you get yourself a proper military wooly pully and want to do it, there is no sewing kit required. Just put a safety-pin through the end of your boot-lace and then push that through the weave of the wool so it ends up inside the 'tube' of the wool material making up the jumper's collar. Feeling through the wool material the feed the safety-pin around the collar until your all the way round and out the same hole. Take the pin off the lace and pull the lace round until you have two even length ends. Tighten and tie as desired when worn.

I had been thinking about getting one of these wooly pullys again for that old-school military look, so this is an amusing development in the Bond clothing stakes. Now if I could only find someone selling NOS issue NI gloves!!

thanks for the explanation! i like the military-look on Craig/Bond and in general and I own some of those sweaters (without the drawstings, I wonder how the collar looks when its tightened). they keep warm, are hard-wearing and a practically and thats why I have a problem N. Peal releases such a sweater. the brand is just to noble and high-class for an item like this in my eyes. its like drinking beer from a Cumbria Crystal tankard if you know what I mean.
    but I know me: complaining now and when the postman with the n.peal box rings my bell I jump up and run to the door faster than Usain Bolt.

hopefully we are going to see more of the outfit today, the shoes would be interesting too
  • HG1940HG1940 Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    Any idea about the gloves? I guess is too soon to know
  • SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent
    HG1940 wrote:

I’ve tried looking at the earlier hi-res poster pick and some of the lines and the tab on the back of the wrist suggest PIG FDT Alpha’s to me, but honestly it’s hard to tell from that one picture.

The PIG gloves are super popular with SF operators at the moment, particularly in the US -
    https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/pig-fdt-alpha-gloves-new-style-23354-p.asp
  • writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent
    So N. Peal confirmed tactical sweater being theirs (lots more to budget for).

And Omega confirmed they will be doing a reveal today, with Babs, Michael and DC themselves.

Instagram and Twitter sources, FWIW.
    "Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent
    Skippy wrote:
    HG1940 wrote:

I’ve tried looking at the earlier hi-res poster pick and some of the lines and the tab on the back of the wrist suggest PIG FDT Alpha’s to me, but honestly it’s hard to tell from that one picture.

The PIG gloves are super popular with SF operators at the moment, particularly in the US -
    https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/pig-fdt-alpha-gloves-new-style-23354-p.asp

Opps, cancel my last; closure tab is in the wrong place for the gloves to be PIG Alpha’s.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    If you click through to this, it should link the highest-res version that was on the EPK.

bond-25-NTTD-Daniel-Craig-rgb.jpg
  • k5211k5211 UKPosts: 164MI6 Agent
    The funny thing is this jumper looks just like your old woolly pully that has seen a load of use, has been washed and ironed to death and has lost its 'chinese burn' qualities. There are probably screen accurate replicas in the bargain bucket at the local surplus shop. I wonder what Bond will be wearing next ? A Green Helly Hansen Lausane fleece ?

Tennyson wrote:
    k5211 wrote:
    LOL, the good old British Military Wooly Pully , this is a Royal Navy version, you can pick them up, like this condition, old and worn, from many surplus and Army/Navy shops in the UK. Silvermans will sell them now. Soldiers (and obviously Sailors and Airmen) would thread an old shoelace through the collar so it could be pulled tight when it inevitably stretched. Looks like they snipped off the epaulettes.

Nice bit of kit, glad its getting a run out.

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/collections/clothing/products/crew-neck-navy-woolly-pully?variant=4193805891

Looks like he has a pair of black nomex pilots gloves, cut down. Again, widely available, buy size down for a tight fit.

https://transair.co.uk/pilots-clothing/pilots-flying-gloves/flying-gloves-nomex

I had a navy one issued in the Police, and like my old green army one, I couldn't wait to get rid of it - anyone who has any experience of the NATO jumper, will know it would have been a lot less itchy in Cashmere, however i doubt the Queen would have stretched to that with her budget! Nice to know MI6 get the luxurious cashmere, whist the real workers itch!!! :))

To top it off, now I'm thinking about actually buying one!!!!
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent
    Although the jumper has a NATO military inspired look, none of the issued versions and commercially available cheaper options had/have that square neckline.

You can easily make a frugal look but you won’t be able to match this.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Although the jumper has a NATO military inspired look, none of the issued versions and commercially available cheaper options had/have that square neckline.

Actually a bit earlier in this thread AugustWalker did find a frugal option that has the square neckline and the drawstrings. It's not navy and it has epaulettes, but it does show that there are actually cheap options out there (well at least one) that have the same features as the poster sweater https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/1013-UK-Commando-Sweater/
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Those aren't just the braces showing through?
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent
    Those aren't just the braces showing through?

Maybe.
    But the issued NATO jumpers that are being referred to, with Velcro epaulettes, have a crew neck collar not a square neck like the NPeal.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Regarding the discussion a bit earlier in this thread (around post 1730) over whether or not the off-white henley was R&B because the buttons didn't look like they had the classic R&B black edges, there was a shot in the new trailer (1:32) of Bond wearing the shirt and you can definitely see that the buttons have the black edges. So if the R&B ID is not confirmed already, I think it's fairly safe to do that now.
  • _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent
    Some screen grabs from today’s trailer in case it helps any investigations. Brightened up the NPeal

2-D15-C12-D-E468-4454-9-D41-5-FDCFD37-F741.png

EC07-DF4-F-1-CB1-4485-BA12-F82-B05-B6103-A.png

D2-DAF075-9-D70-4-ABD-B86-F-CA3-CA92-AA1-A0.jpg
    Murder | Employment.
  • _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:
    UNCLE27 wrote:

Actually a bit earlier in this thread AugustWalker did find a frugal option that has the square neckline and the drawstrings. It's not navy and it has epaulettes, but it does show that there are actually cheap options out there (well at least one) that have the same features as the poster sweater https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/1013-UK-Commando-Sweater/

Outdoor Knitwear do one called The 1945 with the shock cord on the collar but it’s in black:
    https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/crew-neck/89-the-1945.html?search_query=The+1945&results=1#/size-xs/colour-black
    Murder | Employment.
  • TheExit148TheExit148 Posts: 562MI6 Agent
    _Stocks wrote:
    Some screen grabs from today’s trailer in case it helps any investigations. Brightened up the NPeal

2-D15-C12-D-E468-4454-9-D41-5-FDCFD37-F741.png
    This for sure looks to be the Rag & Bone henley. You can clearly see the metal buttons here with the worn paint.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    So far my favorite look from the film is the N.peal tactical outfit. Although I am interested in seeing more of the Norway look. Beyond those and the TF suits of course most of the wardrobe we've seen seems pretty forgettable.
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    edited December 2019
    Rothco does one in the navy color... no epaulettes either..

Halfhitman is right I believe in that the sweater does not have a square neckline.. but rather the braces underneath showing through give it that appearance.. the neckline is actually like a diamond shape.. If you zoom in on the hi-res version of the poster you can clearly see the texture and color difference between the sweater and the braces.

https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-commando-sweater

Side note... Rothco also sells on eBay... the sweater on the ebay shop is only $36 compared to $49 online..
  • CharlesRobinsonCharlesRobinson Posts: 53MI6 Agent
    Having worn commando jumpers, it's the material you want to look out for. Proper wool, and as fine a weave as possible - would be relatively easy to square off the neck line a touch. The synthetic ones are incredibly scratchy and look 20 years old after you've washed them twice.
    another look at the sweater (I like the elbow paddings!) and the gloves, maybe it helps to identify them
    Sweater.jpg
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    Loved the trailer!!! Looks like some black pants and shoes still to identify with this outfit.

36979-CD5-9-EB6-4-FC8-B562-F0-B8-CDE8-B71-E.jpg
  • HG1940HG1940 Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    edited December 2019
    Having worn commando jumpers, it's the material you want to look out for. Proper wool, and as fine a weave as possible - would be relatively easy to square off the neck line a touch. The synthetic ones are incredibly scratchy and look 20 years old after you've washed them twice.

Have you seen the TW Kempton? I imagine is well known to you. Is it any good? I actually have been interested in getting me one for years. I would not get something in cashmere myself. I would go for a v neck instead. I prefer loosley based rather than SA.
  • FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    drum007 wrote:
    Loved the trailer!!! Looks like some black pants and shoes still to identify with this outfit.

Does anybody know what that coat is???
    Yes. Considerably.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    drum007 wrote:

Has the coat been identified?
    edited December 2019
    drum007 wrote:

Has the coat been identified?

Massimo Alba wrote on Instagram that Bond wears a "RAIN duster coat" in corduroy from them, this should be it
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Ah, must have missed that. Very different but I kind of like it. Thanks.