Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Perhaps the new film should be called.....

Better Late Than Never

or

What Took You So Long

:))
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
    :)) :))
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    In my opinion for what it's worth, the longer the wait the higher expectation only increases so I think EON are on a hiding to nothing.

Closing in on 5 years between Bond films the chances are this could be a serious letdown. I hope I'm wrong but the wait between Skyfall and Spectre was bad enough and what did that bring us? A good but hardly a great Bond film.

I hope 2022 (60th anniversary) will be the next one after this.

Craig won't do another Bond film (and neither should he) so start planning early Barbara. Find your next Bond and skip all the cloak-and-dagger.
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 675MI6 Agent
    Is there still a teeny tiny chance that Craig'll do another one?

I'm holding out hope that they'll do another one for the 60th, despite the fact that part of me knows it'd make more sense to use that 60th anniversary media blitz (and hopefully Christopher Nolan) to help give a warm reception to the new Bond.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • John Francis KennedyJohn Francis Kennedy South lanarkshire, ScotlandPosts: 88MI6 Agent

I'm holding out hope that they'll do another one for the 60th, despite the fact that part of me knows it'd make more sense to use that 60th anniversary media blitz (and hopefully Christopher Nolan) to help give a warm reception to the new Bond.

All the delays might be for a very particular reason..

They’re not filming ONE movie..
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,546MI6 Agent

I refer you to my excellent posts setting out the 'facts' for a secret two-movie production.

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/926937/#p926937 - read this one first

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/928695/#p928695

It would also explain why Norway and Italy have both been described as being for a PTS. You leave the location filming, which inevitably attracts attention, for both films to the 'official' single film's filming period. All the interior filming for both films having been done in secret already. So, Norway and Italy, which location is for Bond25 and which one is for Bond26?
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 675MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:

I refer you to my excellent posts setting out the 'facts' for a secret two-movie production.

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/926937/#p926937 - read this one first

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/928695/#p928695

It would also explain why Norway and Italy have both been described as being for a PTS. You leave the location filming, which inevitably attracts attention, for both films to the 'official' single film's filming period. All the interior filming for both films having been done in secret already. So, Norway and Italy, which location is for Bond25 and which one is for Bond26?

Thank you for your time and dedication to all these posts, Someone!

I get the feeling someone at Paramount/Christopher McQuarrie/Tom Cruise read your posts and liked your idea enough that that's what they're doing now!

But I can only imagine how awesome it would be if the Bond 25 press conference has a shocking surprise as well, like the 2014 Phase 3 announcement for Marvel where Avengers Infinity War is announced for 2018....

And then Part 2 for 2019..... just hearing that audience go from cheers to roars @ part 2 still gives me chills....

https://youtu.be/L2VoJuVfbjI?t=1090

I love the theory and the effort, especially the Rhythm Section coincidence.

But the problem is, why would EON only do a deal for the distribution of 1 movie and not 2?

After a 4 year wait and a cold reception to Spectre, why not make it a big deal and show that it was worth our wait by announcing 2 movies?

Other than that, the attention to detail is incredible.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
    edited March 2019
    But the problem is, why would EON only do a deal for the distribution of 1 movie and not 2?

They would have, Universal would be distributing both films with my theory. The claim of a one movie deal was always BS.

Mark Strong spoke today about how he would like to be a Bond villain. He makes the Bond comments at 4min 43seconds.
    https://youtu.be/5sdz2rCcS2Y
    Is it just me, or is there a cheeky knowing smile in there?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    After SF, they were going to shoot back to back films, then Mendes came back and SPECTRE happened. In May 2016 they revived the back to back shooting idea, but I’ve not heard anything since.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent

If EON sticks to its release date of April 2020 for Bond 215, there's not enough time to do production for two Bond movies and post-production for one. That's an absolute minimum of thirteen months plus another month for distribution.

By comparison, filming for Infinity War/Endgame started January 2017 with release of Infinity War on April 27, 2018 (fifteen months).

Also, last we heard, a script for Bond 25 hadn't been completed, let alone a script for Bond 26.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    After SF, they were going to shoot back to back films, then Mendes came back and SPECTRE happened. In May 2016 they revived the back to back shooting idea, but I’ve not heard anything since.

Because it's all been done so secretly... :)) :D
    Look away now anyone who doesn't want to feel anymore disheartened.

ThePlaylist.net's Rodrigo Perez has another Bond25 story which would seem to be sourced from script maestro, Scott Burns, who was hired to work on the Purvis & Wade/Fukunaga Bond25 script for 4 weeks, which would have ended on 18 March.
    https://theplaylist.net/ralph-fiennes-hasnt-seen-bond-25-script-20190321/

The new Perez story does seem to fly in the face of this story, which clearly states that all is well and Burns' services are not needed.
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/bond-25-cast-billy-magnussen-bond-girls-1203151088/
    "Fukunaga turned in his recent draft at the beginning of the year, and while reports surfaced that major rewrite work was done to the script, sources say no significant changes were made, and the producers and Craig were excited with what Fukunaga had delivered."

Anyway, the horrible bit from Perez's new story is the following;
    '“Bond 25” is racing closer to its start date and yet, the screenplay seems to be a work in progress, and isn’t complete yet enough for producers to circulate it to the cast, despite being just weeks away from filming'

Perez participated in a podcast recently, the details of which I relayed here;
    https://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/940162/#p940162

The relevant part of what Perez said in the podcast was: 'there could be further filming and/or release date delays if Burns' script is not well received.'

Now we know Burns did not even finish the script. I've speculated before about how Bond25 is becoming very Quantum like, and I caught some flak for it, but now I'm thinking that comparison was nearer the mark.

I also wonder, when Ralph Fiennes said this week he expected filming in May or June, people here speculated that that was just for his days on set. I wonder now, if Fiennes wasn't actually sign posting another delay.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Fiennes speculating on shooting dates are just his scenes as he is almost constantly filming KM The Great Game until then, and wont be free to shoot Bond. There are at least another six weeks of filming left on KM and he plays Oxford the main character.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    They should just get McQuarrie to help right the ship and make bond on the fly. Seems to work well for the last few mission flicks.
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    edited March 2019
    The last mission impossible was very bad. X-( They had the exact same problem with Spectre. They have gone about it all wrong and wasted too much screentime on tertiary characters no one cares about and traded true action choreography for budget blowing stuntpieces. It uses to take Bond 7 minutes to kill 1 guy. Now their is a drawn out chase with no vehicular combat, going back and forth between Moneypenny or Q doing something boring on the laptop, an expensive crash, then he just shoots 8 people in the head like Clint Eastwood or the Terminator. Next setpiece, wash rinse repeat. Mi6 had the same 'Meanwhile with the Scooby Gang', same fake chases and Clint Eastwood shootouts, just with Cruise doing some of his own stunts. True action has been dormant for too long. Now that John Wick is 54, Cruise and Craig have no excuse that they can't be jumping around anymore.
  • 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    The last mission impossible was very bad. X-( They had the exact same problem with Spectre. They have gone about it all wrong and wasted too much screentime on tertiary characters no one cares about and traded true action choreography for budget blowing stuntpieces. It uses to take Bond 7 minutes to kill 1 guy. Now their is a drawn out chase with no vehicular combat, going back and forth between Moneypenny or Q doing something boring on the laptop, an expensive crash, then he just shoots 8 people in the head like Clint Eastwood or the Terminator. Next setpiece, wash rinse repeat. Mi6 had the same 'Meanwhile with the Scooby Gang', same fake chases and Clint Eastwood shootouts, just with Cruise doing some of his own stunts. True action has been dormant for too long. Now that John Wick is 54, Cruise and Craig have no excuse that they can't be jumping around anymore.

You're welcome to your opinion. I suspect my view of the film is in the majority though. I also think i'm in the majority for liking fallout much much more than Spectre.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed them both, but both are flawed. There are some
    Massive plot holes in fallout, but I'm very forgiving to movies
    If they're entertaining. I also love a bit of IMAX cinematography.
    Wish they'd used a bit for a big Bond sequence.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited March 2019
    McQuarrie has done a great job with Mission Impossible, but the Bond movies should focus on what makes them a breed apart. Trying to emulate MI by hiring McQuarrie won't work.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,737MI6 Agent
    005 wrote:
    They should just get McQuarrie to help right the ship and make bond on the fly. Seems to work well for the last few mission flicks.

That would be my dream but I don't see him doing it.
    Danny Boyle comments on his departure from Bond25, but won't say what the fininshed script from Hodges and himself contained because he doesn't know anything about the current script.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/bond-25-danny-boyle-director-great-shame-daniel-craig-dead-a8834661.html
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:

ThePlaylist.net's Rodrigo Perez has another Bond25 story which would seem to be sourced from script maestro, Scott Burns, who was hired to work on the Purvis & Wade/Fukunaga Bond25 script for 4 weeks, which would have ended on 18 March.

The new Perez story does seem to fly in the face of this story, which clearly states that all is well and Burns' services are not needed.
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/bond-25-cast-billy-magnussen-bond-girls-1203151088/
    "Fukunaga turned in his recent draft at the beginning of the year, and while reports surfaced that major rewrite work was done to the script, sources say no significant changes were made, and the producers and Craig were excited with what Fukunaga had delivered."

'“Bond 25” is racing closer to its start date and yet, the screenplay seems to be a work in progress, and isn’t complete yet enough for producers to circulate it to the cast, despite being just weeks away from filming'

The relevant part of what Perez said in the podcast was: 'there could be further filming and/or release date delays if Burns' script is not well received.'

Now we know Burns did not even finish the script. I've speculated before about how Bond25 is becoming very Quantum like, and I caught some flak for it, but now I'm thinking that comparison was nearer the mark.

I also wonder, when Ralph Fiennes said this week he expected filming in May or June, people here speculated that that was just for his days on set. I wonder now, if Fiennes wasn't actually sign posting another delay.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Perez wrote because we don't really know for sure whether Burns was doing a polish or full blown rewrite or if in fact whatever it was that Burns was doing was left unfinished because all the author's info is from unidentified sources who aren't even referred to as being close to the production. Also, using Fiennes quotes to support the idea that there is no finished script is really shaky at best. Just because Fiennes or the other cast members don't have the script does not mean there is not a complete script (I don't think EON would want to take any chances on the script being leaked). You know it's funny how McQuarrie basically writing the script to Fallout as the movie was filmed is looked upon as some great daring accomplishment, while anything that is put out there about Bond 25 (whether real or not) is twisted into a doomsday scenario for the film. Part of the problem lies at EON's feet as they have been mute on so many things. In this day and age of the minute to minute news cycle and constant need for material to feed social media and the internet, any and all manner of nonsense gets put out there as "news". Most of these internet outlets are not real news, but gossip disguised as news.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:

Oh, just get on with it!

Fiennes probably has 15-20 minutes of screen time. He can learn his lines in a week, if necessary.

Most of Jaws was written during principal photography and it turned out to be a masterpiece. All the producers of Spectre obsessed over the script and it turned out . . . not to be masterpiece.

My theory is that unless the director is Hitchcock or Wilder or Spielberg or somebody like that, how the film turns out is mostly a matter of luck.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    edited March 2019
    You are correct that a troubled production is not indicative of the final film. I think it’s unfortunate how much visibility (mixed with idle chatter and speculation that gets treated as fact) modern film audiences now have into the productions. It skews opinion of the film before it’s ever released. The Han Solo movie is a great example. It’s production woes were well documented and surely hurt its box office. The film itself was very well made and I really enjoyed it.

Although I’ve been frustrated by this production, my main issues have been (1) I didn’t want Craig back, and (2) how long it took EON to get going. As for the film we ultimately get to see, no one can know how it will come together. Could be a masterpiece. Could be another Spectre. We shall see.

Also, as for media negativity, do not discount the alterior motives of those who would like to see Bond undergo a significant transformation after Craig steps down. I am not the paranoid type, but in the current climate it can’t be ruled out.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Also, as for media negativity, do not discount the alterior motives of those who would like to see Bond undergo a significant transformation after Craig steps down. I am not the paranoid type, but in the current climate it can’t be ruled out.

It was interesting how the Playlist report zigzagged from the script "issues" to Fienne's being asked how he felt about a Black or female Bond. It's pretty apparent that the "article" was cobbled together.

Re the Han Solo film, I happen to like that film also. The visual's and action set pieces are stunning and I think they did a good job script wise with something that was tricky to begin with.
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    Clearly the media wants to talk about those transformations because it gets them clicks. For the film to follow through would be box office suicide. They can complain about pc bs all they want but no one will see it without an attractive male.
  • ggl007ggl007 SpainPosts: 388MI6 Agent
    Sebastien Soudais: picture from Pinewood, tagged #Bond25, and story from Norway https://www.instagram.com/sebastiensoudai/

He was in The Rhythm Section, too.
    I can't find it. Can you help me out?
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I can't find it. Can you help me out?

It’s an Instagram story, not a written story. You have to click on his photo when you’re in the app.
    Thank you, but I still don't get it. "In the app" - does that man being in Instagram? What's an Instagram story? Sorry, I'm really a internet Luddite at heart.
  • Arbogast777Arbogast777 Minneapolis Posts: 252MI6 Agent
    The first picture is the one tagged Bond 25 from Pinewood