Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited March 2020
    The delay has less to do with reality but more to do with people's perception of what is going on. Whether NTTD was released in April or as reported delayed until Nov it's all a calculated risk on the part of the producers. As pointed out in previous posts, the market for Bond films in China, Japan and the rest of Asia is huge and with the threat of other countries closing theaters or people being afraid to go to theaters, the losses could be enormous. Now one might think, why can't they still open in the USA this spring and delay overseas until the fall? One of the biggest problems with that strategy is pirating. Back in the old days before computers and digital media it was not uncommon for films that were released in the US not to get to other countries until months later. China has a big problem with pirating/bootlegging as it is and a Bond film that cannot be seen for some months that is currently showing in other markets would be a prime candidate for piracy and the market could get flooded with bootlegged/pirated versions of NTTD.
    As far as ticket refunds are concerned, I would think that most online ticketing services, including the theater chains themselves won't be a problem to get a refund. I purchased my tickets through Fandango and it's easy to get refunded even if you just change your mind. This certainly will be a challenge for EON to pick the marketing back up in the fall. Like most others around here, I am very disappointed but there's nothing else we can do. NTTD has sadly been star crossed from the beginning but I still look forward with great anticipation to seeing it. The one small positive for me is my local IMAX is apparently slated for an upgrade to Dual 4K Laser Projection soon hopefully that will happen before November 25th. :)
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    As others have said, hopefully this will give Eon productions more time to polish the film.

I certainly hope that with the new release date, the promotional side of thing will not be to badly effected. Daniel Craig is set to appear on NBC's The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon this week. Still, I have faith that despite all of the hurdles this movie has to deal with since original director Danny Boyle left it will be successful with audiences.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    Let's not focus too much on the Asian market when it comes to this delay. While most of those affected are in Asia, Corona has affected other markets too. Even today all schools in Italy were closed.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Imo the main reasons for the delay are the asian markets.

The streets in the chinese metropoles are empty, noone is going out and this will affect heavily EONs bottomline.

As an example, schoolkids in HK are not going to school until mid of April (for now) since end of Jan.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Perhaps, but other markets are affected by Corona too.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    edited March 2020
    Higgins wrote:
    Imo the main reasons for the delay are the asian markets.

The streets in the chinese metropoles are empty, noone is going out and this will affect heavily EONs bottomline.

As an example, schoolkids in HK are not going to school until mid of April (for now) since end of Jan.

It’s that, but it’s also more than that. We will most likely see total outbreak in the United States in the next 45 days. Theaters will be shut down as public gatherings are limited. Maybe it won’t come to that, but I think it will. We can argue about whether it’s all really necessary, but if it happens EON won’t have one bit of say in the matter. Their hands were tied and they made the only smart choice.

As an aside, I don’t get the anger from fans? It’s not like EON invented this virus (which is, by the way, a public health emergency). It’s a responsible choice, and it’s going to cost them.
    I am very angry, because it‘ll cost me around 400 Euros

Higgins wrote:

I guess what I’m trying to tell you is if EON didn’t pull the plug someone else was going to take the decision away from them and do it anyway. So I guess be angry at the virus? This isn’t really anyone’s fault.
    That does not make me feel better about shredding lots of money.

They could have communicated it earlier, I‘ve booked my flights last week.

Higgins wrote:

Not sure how closely you’ve been following it, but the situation is fluid and they probably waited as long as they felt they could. We’re talking about a possible global pandemic. No offense, but it’s a little bigger than your 400 euros. Perspective is your friend.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,728MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    You have tickets to the premiere? They can’t be cheap: I’m sure you’ll get reassigned to the rescheduled one.

The flights are what bother me.
    2 people non refundable from Duesseldorf to London and back.

If I can afford tickets to a world premiere I probably wouldn’t worry about European flights! :D
    The premiere tickets will hopefully get reimbursed.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

I guess what I’m trying to tell you is if EON didn’t pull the plug someone else was going to take the decision away from them and do it anyway. So I guess be angry at the virus? This isn’t really anyone’s fault.

It's really unfortunate that some folks are going to take a financial hit because of the postponement and that's gotta be frustrating and painful but the reality is you need theaters to be open to see the film and even if theaters remain open in the USA, people will be less likely to go out of fear. I just hope they get this virus under control and get a vaccine asap.
    Higgins wrote:

Not sure how closely you’ve been following it, but the situation is fluid and they probably waited as long as they felt they could. We’re talking about a possible global pandemic. No offense, but it’s a little bigger than your 400 euros. Perspective is your friend.

I guess that that makes me feel much better now....

• BondpuristBondpurist VauxhallPosts: 26MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

I'm not sure how much earlier they could have postponed since the news of the increase in transmission only began three weeks ago.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

Quite your moaning. I’m down ten times that.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    What are you guys finding to spend money on?
  • BondpuristBondpurist VauxhallPosts: 26MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

Understatement of the year, emtiem! -{
    Won't the airlines be able to change the tickets to November for you?
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,545MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    You have tickets to the premiere? They can’t be cheap: I’m sure you’ll get reassigned to the rescheduled one.

The flights are what bother me.
    2 people non refundable from Duesseldorf to London and back.

I fly often for work. You should be able to delay your flights for a small fee, contact your airline/travel provider. As we know the UK release date is now 12 November you know when to delay the flights too.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Quite your moaning. I’m down ten times that.

I fly often for work. You should be able to delay your flights for a small fee, contact your airline/travel provider. As we know the UK release date is now 12 November you know when to delay the flights too. The hotel should be the same but potentially without a fee.
    In my case. No.
    The date is fixed and ticket can‘t be refunded.
    I‘ve been sitting on the fence for a long time booking them but shorter than 4 weeks prior to the flight, prices will likely go up.

But I am small potatoes compared to Asp9mm‘s losses

Higgins wrote:
    In my case. No.
    The date is fixed and ticket can‘t be refunded.
    I‘ve been sitting on the fence for a long time booking them but shorter than 4 weeks prior to the flight, prices will likely go up.

But I am small potatoes compared to Asp9mm‘s losses

It's NOT A REFUND, you ask them to DELAY the dates. I have done it a few times with tickets paid for, not just reserved. I even did it with a low cost carrier once.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    People have been suggesting that EON will use this delay to revamp the film. How likely is that?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

Two rooms at Dukes for a week. Amongst other things :))
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • JacobJacob DenmarkPosts: 294MI6 Agent
    Higgins, with which airline should you have been flying?
    Most often, you can claim a refund for the “airport taxes” part of your flight ticket. Since these taxes are claimed by the authorities only in case you use your tickets, you can claim a reimbursement easily from the airline. Often, it amounts to 50% of the total bill. Look at the airline website for a form or contact them directly.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Two rooms at Dukes for a week. Amongst other things :))

Is Dukes closing then? If you don’t like it enough to go there without watching a film on one evening, why did you book it?
    On the bright side, if EON get their act together they could find DC's replacement and in November, use the release to announce the new Bond actor and the credits can have 'JAMES BOND WILL RETURN IN,' and the name of Bond26. We can dream...
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    No wonder Barbara Broccoli looked a bit somber at MoMA last night.
    Jacob wrote:
    Higgins, with which airline should you have been flying?
    Most often, you can claim a refund for the “airport taxes” part of your flight ticket. Since these taxes are claimed by the authorities only in case you use your tickets, you can claim a reimbursement easily from the airline. Often, it amounts to 50% of the total bill. Look at the airline website for a form or contact them directly.

British Airways, will contact them tomorrow.
    My hopes are around zero