The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,793MI6 Agent
    I suspect Mugabe was voted into the WHO by countries that also have bad human rights records. The idea is that Mugabe will call all human rights violations "internal issues", I think.
    The WHO has removed Robert Mugabe from the position as their goodwill ambasador. He was a horrible choice, they shouldn't have nominated him in the first place.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    If the WHO needs a real ambassador, they could do far worse than to choose someone from the white helmets who operate in Syria.
    I agree, but I fear Russia will block it.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Mick Jagger has had to rethink some of his song lyrics following condemnation of Labour minister Clive Lewis' comments.

Rather than 'Get down on your knees, Brown Sugar' he's going sing 'Would you please position yourself in such a way that in no way implies patriachal superiority on my part, Brown Sugar?'
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :))
    Many rap songs will also have to be rewritten, no more
    Bitches and Hoes. Unless it about gardening of course.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    447173.jpg
    People who want to feel better about last year's US election should read up about Kenyan elections ..... :#

5010.jpg?w=1010&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=bfbed2eeeec0aaf2dba719f3996e06ea
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Robert Mugabe represents the most disgusting, evil, corrupt and self-centered elite that are responsible for making their own people‘s lifes worse and worse.

Announcing him as an embassador for the WHO is so wrong on all levels -I wonder who came up with that idea. They should never get a job in the UN organisation anymore X-(

Mugabe - Hitler? Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure what Hitler has to do with anything? Both he and mugabe may be dictators, but very different ones.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    I probably should have highlighted Higgins initial comment. But for what it's worth I thought this interesting reading.

https://allnewsnetwork.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/mugabe-and-hitler-share-the-same-ideologies/
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I am reasonably gutted hearing that the catalonian president has left country and is seeking asylum now in Belgium. He knew exactly what was coming when he started all this and like many other politicians, he does not stand with what he has started and deal with the consequences.

The leaders are on the run and it‘s now up to the ‚mainstream“ politicians and the people to clean up after him.

Shame on you!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I am not sure I agree with you. Yes this vote was not legal but I think much of the 'cleaning up' to be done there is because of the way the Spanish goverment acted. There is no excuse for ordering viloence against people who just wish to vote. There should also be never any attempt to justify such action as these. There were many ways to deal with this matter for the Spanish goverment but brutality should never have even been considered.
    I do not know much about this situation but I think the calalans leader has not souht asylum.
    Mugabe does does not try to follow Hitler, he admirs the North Koreans so it is them who you should compare him with. 5 Brigade was trained by the North Koreans. It was part of the ZNA but it was not under control of the ZNA, it got orders direct from Mugabe and still does. I suppose it is a little bit like his private army. They operate often in civilian clothes so they can get close to opponents. The CIO also has agents in every country where Zimbabwean refugees are. They monitor the opponents and report and sometimes even act against the opponents by threatening and such.
    Joshua wrote:
    I am not sure I agree with you. Yes this vote was not legal but I think much of the 'cleaning up' to be done there is because of the way the Spanish goverment acted. There is no excuse for ordering viloence against people who just wish to vote. There should also be never any attempt to justify such action as these. There were many ways to deal with this matter for the Spanish goverment but brutality should never have even been considered.
    I do not know much about this situation but I think the calalans leader has not souht asylum.

Well, I guess that it's not that easy.

That "vote" was for sure illegal and could have let to riots and civil war.
    I agree that the violence from the spanish authorities was not adequate, but you never know which actions lead to which consequences.
    The spanish government had every right to surpress the illegal vote and in our societies, the state has the power of action.

I am pretty sure that some spanish authorities may argue that the violence was necessary to keep the peace though.

Perhaps but I don't think there was violence from the voters? If this is true then why violence from the police? Nothing to make the police act this way exept orders. Please I did not say the violence was not adequate, this means there was not enough and should be more violence?

Yes the spanish governemt has the right to stop this vote, but by setting the police to attack the voters who were not causing trouble?

"I am pretty sure that some spanish authorities may argue that the violence was necessary to keep the peace though." I have heard this before but never in Europe. It sends a chill down my spine. If the action is acceptable in Europe against people who were doing nothing but vote, even when the vote did not mean anything and was illegal. You should be prepared for the same thing in other countries in Europe when you all wish to make your political points. That is my warning to you all.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I don't know about Spain, but in the UK police are bound by reasonable force to attain a legal objective, force used must be proportionate to the situation.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I agree to the proportionate use of force.

The election was not just like that it could have consequently lead to riots and other bad things, that may be the reason why the spanish authorities stepped the line and reacted the way they did in order to keep the peace in the long run.

My personal opinion is that they overstepped the line, but you never know what may happen if no action is taken or only actions with less force.

edited October 2017
    Joshua wrote:
    sIf the action is acceptable in Europe against people who were doing nothing but vote, even when the vote did not mean anything and was illegal. You should be prepared for the same thing in other countries in Europe when you all wish to make your political points. That is my warning to you all.

The illegal vote was not about a tax raise or something minor.
    It was about splitting a part off from a souvereign nation which has the right to protect the territorial integrity.

If you follow the history of the spanish independence groups, you will notice that they where willing to commit terror attacks in the past and other actions. And I was there when an ETA bomb exploded next to me in Madrid airport. So the spanish authorities may have had good reasons to put down that independence movement because they knew, where it could all lead.

If you want to vote - vote - but legally.

Please Barbel, understand that Higgins is my friend on AJB. We are not arguing, only discussing!

I said I do not know much about Spain, but I do know that the terrorist you mention give up their campaign. The Spanish did not face the terrorist threat with this vote, they neither did not face violence from the voters themselves, so why did they want to use violence on them? It is unacceptable whatever way you try to look at it. Yes they have the right to defend themselves, but do they have the right to attack people who were not causing offence or violence? All they have done is to perhaps push people away from them and towards the opposition and perhaps even given the terrorist excuse to restart their campaign. What happens now? They get away with out anything said against them or when even people defend them so when other people want to express their view they are able to be set on by the police? It is a slope which is very slippery. In my mind to support or defend action like this is never good.
    What if now the Scottish people have the referendum without getting permission? Yes it would not count, but should the British send the police to beat the people at the poll stations? I do not think they would do this. They would not do this in Northern Ireland also, so why is it acceptable for the Spanish to act to abuse their own power by attacking their citizens?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,313Chief of Staff
    Joshua wrote:
    Please Barbel, understand that Higgins is my friend on AJB. We are not arguing, only discussing!

No worries, Joshua, I'm not reading this thread anyway... oh... wait...
    :)) :)) :))

Just wanted to add, that I see the discussion the same way like my friend Joshua ;)

I heard on the radio that there is no real word for compromise in Spanish and compromises have little status. This might explain the trouble in Spain. if both the government and the seperatist had shown more will to compromise this mess could have been avoided.
    Number24 wrote:
    I heard on the radio that there is no real word for compromise in Spanish and compromises have little status. This might explain the trouble in Spain. if both the government and the seperatist had shown more will to compromise this mess could have been avoided.

This is perhaps true. What I can not forgive is the use of force by any state against its people who are not engaging in or threatening force. There can never be any excuse for this.
    Donald Trump ranting about the System of Justice after the NYC terror attack and demanding heavier punishment for the terrorists.

As if anything will scare off these radicals from doing what they do... 8-)

Yes. The death penalty isn't much of a threat to a member of a death cult.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,205MI6 Agent
    But once dead at least they cannot radicalise anyone else.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    As far as I understood, Trump's concern is not so much the radicalisation of others.
    And to prevent a country from terror attacks the call for heavier punishment is pretty useless as most of the terrorists accept to die during their attack.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,205MI6 Agent
    No arguments there - I was just stating that if they're dead they can't radicalise anyone else which is what is happening in British gaols according to reports.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Actually they can radicalize others when they're dead - so-called martyrs are one of the most effective recruiting tools terrorists have. If they instead spend the rest of their lives in prison they are much less effective in IS propaganda.
This discussion has been closed.