The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    It's worth noting what happened on the World Climate Conferance in Bonn, Germany. The US is now the only country in the world that won't sign the Paris agreement. the delegation from the most powerful nation on earth showed up to speak about how great coal is. Everyone else laughed at them, shook their heads and ignored them. USA is making themselves irrelevant on this key issue, while China (with plenty of polution problems of their own) is taking leadership. It's a strange world.
    Number24 wrote:
    Yes, it really worries me that Trump has called the part of the press that's questions his politics enemies of the people.

It also worries me that North Korea has launched a missile that probably can reach the entire US mainland.
    It's a horrible situation, but removing these missiles and the nuclear bombes for good is almost impossible without war. Such a war is sure to lead to heavy losses, both military and civilian.

The freedom of the press hasn't been lower in more than a decade. Countries like Poland and especially Turkey are moving in the wrong direction. :(

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/nov/30/press-freedom-at-all-time-low-journalist-safety-article-19-v-dem-study
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:

All that worries me too, and so does Trump putting up extreme right wing images and videos on twitter!

And I totally appreciate how the UK leaders, parliament and the major of London replied to it.

However - that'll be it with the "Special Relationship" as long as Trump is in power.
    I've voiced my concerns about how and that May was the first leader to visit Trump after the election and it seems that all dreams about a special and mutual trade deal with the US have busted now overnight. They are not gonna happen.

Are you still sure that it was a good idea to leave the EU? ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

All that worries me too, and so does Trump putting up extreme right wing images and videos on twitter!

And I totally appreciate how the UK leaders, parliament and the major of London replied to it.

However - that'll be it with the "Special Relationship" as long as Trump is in power.
    I've voiced my concerns about how and that May was the first leader to visit Trump after the election and it seems that all dreams about a special and mutual trade deal with the US have busted now overnight. They are not gonna happen.

Are you still sure that it was a good idea to leave the EU? ;)

In the long term... Yes I do but not for the reasons you'd expect. I don't believe Trump can undermine a relationship built up over decades.
    What I find remarkable are the people defending Trump and arguing that he doesn't realise the connotations or history of the videos he's re tweeted!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    As long as he's in power, there will be no progress anymore as he's now p*ssed off and we all know that he does not forget.
    That will not reset everything, but it'll be tough to find a trade deal with him in the coming years for example.

Higgins wrote:
    As long as he's in power, there will be no progress anymore as he's now p*ssed off and we all know that he does not forget.
    That will not reset everything, but it'll be tough to find a trade deal with him in the coming years for example.
    You may be proved right, but he won't see a second term and trade deals go both ways so he well be rambunctious enough to cut off his nose to spite his face.
    I'm not convinced Trump won't get a second term. His followers are extremely loyal, both the Republican and Democratic parties are a mess now and the economy looks really good.
    And if he manages that CNN falls to Murdoch, then Fox News will be undisputed :#

edited November 2017
    Reading about rumors that Rex Tillerson may get fired.

I must say that I‘ve had great concerns about him but he performed much better than I thought.
    I am also reading about a kind ofsuicide pact between Tillerson, Mattis and Munchin, that if one of them gets sacked, the others will resign. They are called the axis of adults :D

Mathis in DoD sees like a competent and level-headed man, the type of person the Trump administration needs desperately!
    A question: is the political divide in the US to some degree a rural Vs. urban conflict?
    Almost all major cities voted Democratic and rural areas were largely Republican voters in the last election. Do you think this is reflected in the conflict issues?
    edited December 2017
    It would be nice if more members joined in :)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think it best to keep it for the intellectual elite ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Submitted for your (Twilight Zone) approval:
    2021 Post War Interview with Paul Ryan in Rio- America, Mexico and his new car!

FOX NEWS PUBLIC INFO: So Paul, what’s new?
    Secretary Of World Enforcement Policy PAUL RYAN: This CAR! Isn’t she a beauty? Zero to sixty in 9 seconds! And totally bulletproof!
    FNPI: Yes, very pretty. Aston outdid themselves there. Ejection roof too?
    PR: Haha, no… they said it would compromise the bullet proofyness.
    FNPI: So, Mexico… big win there, eh?
    PR: Yes, decisive, strong, total… we’re very happy. When they attacked the wall, that was when the pricetag was ultimately called in. Now they can make our clothes to do penance for their lack of vision. Heh, I love that line from Return of the Jedi…
    FNPI: That’s not the actual line…
    PR: John, do I need to disappear you?
    FNPI: No sir, I was just…
    PR: No worries man, I was just messing with you.
    FNPI: Yes sir. Sorry. So, what are these little ‘L’s I see on your car?
    PR: Every time my car gets hit with some AntiFa bullet, I have the car guy cover the chip with an ‘L’... for Liberal. Or loser- take your pick. Kind of like small scars of enemy impotence… I love them.
    FNPI: So funny! I was wondering, if you get fired on wherever you go, isn’t that a little disconcerting? Does it seem like a good trade-off for your power?
    PR: It’s completely exciting. And my tail guys always finish them off. Seen the Youtube vids?
    FNPI: Yes, we all have. How has it been working with Mike since Don was committed?
    PR: It’s fine.
    FNPI: That’s all you have to say?
    PR: Look, my new Wife and I are on holiday here; THAT’S what’s on my mind. Not Donald.
    FNPI: I know your time is short- any last comment on America for Americans?
    PR: Hey, N.Korea is pulling itself together, the levels are coming down and it didn’t even all drift as far south as they said it would, U.S. profitable mining in Africa is at an all time high, Putin finally resigned in utter disgrace after his latest Pee Tapes surfaced, and Rio is an amazing addition to the union! America rules. Ayn & I need to go now. Unlike Alexander, I have more worlds to conquer.
    FNPI: Ayn?
    PR: I named the car Ayn. After Rand. Look- don’t ask who she was or I WILL have you disappeared. Later, John.
    FNPI: Thank you sir.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters

:))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    Chrisisall, close. You just need to throw in one reference to reparative therapy.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    Chrisisall, close. You just need to throw in one reference to reparative therapy.
    The Alt-Right has an extensive agenda... satirizing it all would be multiple paragraphs... :D

What?! We have an intelectual elite?
    Where has he/she been hiding? :o ?:)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Modesty forbids ;% :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Number24 wrote:

What?! We have an intelectual elite?
    Where has he/she been hiding? :o ?:)
    Under your bushel
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

If this isn't constructive political discussion, I don't know what is B-)
    Number24 wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

If this isn't constructive political discussion, I don't know what is B-)
    Yep. ;)
    That article is spot-on IMO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    That article is spot-on IMO.
    Exactly! I was shocked at how well they nailed it.
    Very interesting. "Moore innocence will be judged by the voters of Alabama". I thought such allegations must be investigated by the police, and if enough evidence is found the courts will judge if he's innocent or not. That's what US law says, right?

I find the difference between European and US political parties fascinating. In Europe parties are political organisations with party programs. Politicians run on these programs as representatives of their party.
    It seems to me the parties in the US are mostly election machines. Politicians who agree more or less with the ideology of the party run for that party and make their own political program. We can disagree on what system is the best, but I think we can agree there are differences.
    It is very hard to prosecute anyone here for any kind of sexual crime. Additionally many states have statute of limitations on trying sexual cases. I am not sure if Alabama has any limitations. Really, in this case it comes down to if 1- voters believe the allegations, 2- if they do, do they care, 3- if they care more for the party than electing a potential sexual predator. He is also innocent until proven guilty under the law.

Right now exit polls say it is tied but exit polls don't mean much. I think even if democrats come out in swarms Moore will win because the republican base is so strong. And Trump is supporting him.

He also rode his horse in to vote. It makes my eye roll so hard. Yes, I get it. You are an all American salt of the Earth, cowboy.
    I can't believe it. Moore received 48.4% of the votes and Jones WON with 49.5% of the votes! An automatic recount already took place and the difference is only 21,000 votes!
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I can't believe it. Moore received 48.4% of the votes and Jones WON with 49.5% of the votes!
    I can’t believe it either! :o
    793877_E0-_E73_B-473_E-855_D-_B07_CBA8851_B6.jpg
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
This discussion has been closed.