The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,839MI6 Agent
    Trump has been in office for a year. In this time 34% of the people he hired to work in his administration has left, some voluntarily and others not. This is a solid reccord.
    The numbers for other presidents are:

Reagan 17%
    Clinton 11%
    Obama 9%
    Bush jr. 6%
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    6F14ECED-914C-4D45-BB9E-CFB0F9DB6916_zps7lvlphyn.png

Chief TRUMPet blower as well it seems.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,701MI6 Agent
    Could it even be The Last Trump?

51Bli8ex81L._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

:o
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited January 2018
    it could be a very good Bond thriller: Atom bombs in the wrong hands, a megalomaniac with the finger on the trigger facing off against an Asian dictator, a shady Russian connection and a pretty blonde with no real impact on the plot. :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,701MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    it could be a very good thriller: Atom bombs, a megalomaniac with the trigger on the button and an Asian dictator, a Russian connection and a pretty blonde with no real impact on events. :))

I'd buy that for a dollar! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Wow, that‘s a new level of stupidity!!!

If he‘d had a sensible amount of intelligence, he would let those stories fly.
    But he‘s jumping over the stick.

Anyone imagine Obama replying in this manner do dispute a lack of intelligence?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    Wow, that‘s a new level of stupidity!!!

If he‘d had a sensible amount of intelligence, he would let those stories fly.
    But he‘s jumping over the stick.

Anyone imagine Obama replying in this manner do dispute a lack of intelligence?

As much as I would support Trump, it's perhaps a case of fools rushing in where angels fear to tread. Twitter has its advantages in terms of modern mass communication but it also has its inherent dangers in terms of knee-jerk reactions to often complex problems.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It would seem Prez Trump knows a lot about Horse boxes, as he claims to be a " Stable Genius " :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    It would seem Prez Trump knows a lot about Horse boxes, as he claims to be a " Stable Genius " :D

Strong and stable, even? :D

conservative-ge2017-strong-stable-leadership.jpg
    :)) That phrase will Haunt her for years :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) That phrase will Haunt her for years :D

Yes, doubt they'll ever use that one again. Back to the drawing board...
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,093MI6 Agent

I'm waiting for "Super Genius." Just like Wile E Coyote.
    I give it less than 4 weeks until Trump gives himself credit for and boasting about making „Fire and Fury“ a # 1 bestseller.

Anyone betting against me?

I see that the German election is in the news again today with Chancellor Angela Merkel starting new talks to end the caretaker government and create a new coalition government.

Perhaps Higgins could fill us in with more details?
    edited January 2018
    Meanwhile, politics in Northern Ireland...

Utterly disgraceful conduct from Sinn Féin MP Barry McElduff. He should resign immediately, not that he takes his seat in Westminster of course. X-(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42590874

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akkfb5ji3Cs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsmill_massacre
    Agree, watched it last night on the News. A total disgrace. If he
    had any decency he'd have already resigned ! .... There are times with
    N.Ireland politics that you think they couldn't stoop any lower, .... but
    they ALWAYS can !
    edited January 2018
    I see that the German election is in the news again today with Chancellor Angela Merkel starting new talks to end the caretaker government and create a new coalition government.

Perhaps Higgins could fill us in with more details?

As you asked....

So far, we had 4 parties in the parliament:

The CDU/CSU Union (the CSU is the very conservative sister that run only in Bavaria - so far they had the absolute majority in Bavaria, but are on a steady decline for a decade. They fear to lose that majority in the upcoming 2018 Bavarian election which will basically make them losing a lot of influence there and in Berlin). The Union was the big party, coming from over 40% in the previous elections. Under Mrs. Merkel, the Union went from conservative right to the middle (and thus cannibalising the SPD) and many Union voters are looking for alternatives at the gap at the very right.

The Union where the big losers of the elections (coming from over 40% down to 33%) and their losses went straight to the AfD

The SPD, the Social Democratic Party, they were over 30% for quite some time, lost badly in 2013 (25%) and are now at 20,5%.
    The SPD has been the other big party in the middle but shrank to 20% because the workers don't vote anymore for them, they go green, left or radical right.

The Green Party, who have been always around 10% and are going steady

The Linke, follow up from the DDR block party, very left, communist approach and not capable to really govern.

The "Grand Coalition" after the elections 2013 had a comfortable majority and did a pretty good job.
    aktuelle-Sitzverteilung-BTW2013.png

But the upcoming populists from the AfD filled the Gap on the right flank and the FDP (The Liberal "Hipster") party rejoined the parliament with a big win, so now we have 6 parties in the parliament, with big losses for the Union and the SPD.

csm_ergebnis_btwahl17_600_27703834e2.png
    Sitzverteilung-im-Bundestag-Ergebnis-der-Bundestagswahl-2.png

After losing again over 5% and making the SPD a minority party with 20%, their leader announced 5 minutes after closing that the SPD won't be part of a future government anymore. They understood the voter's decision and that it will be now up to the Union + FDP+Green to build a Coalition.

These talks went for 8 weeks until the FDP pulled the trigger out and announced, that they'd rather have no government than a bad government and so the coalition talks where over.

The only realistic alternative is another Grand Coalition with the Union and the SPD, who are both the big losers of the 2017 elections and both fear to lose more substance on both borders left and right.

The SPD refused again and only after our President was speaking with them, they agreed to negotiate again and we are still in the process today.

The issue is, that the SPD cannot afford further losses while Merkel is taking more and more SPD positions in a Grand Coalition and the CSU is scared to hell losing their majority in Bavaria and tries to gain back votes from the far right by being even more radical than the radical AfD.

My forecast is that they manage to find a deal in the Grand Coalition this week with big concessions for the SPD.
    But the Bavarian elections will change a lot this summer. The CSU will lose their majority and they will refuse to support Merkel in another Grand Coalition and that that will be the end of the Merkel government.

Pretty sure that we'll have elections again late 2018 which nobody wants now and will probably mean an even more complicated situation and gains for the AfD, which will then be close to 20%.

3694.jpg?w=940&q=20&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&dpr=2&s=cc616178c05517383a3f5ed787c43a2f
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Does anyone think trump will see a full term? Or even 2 terms?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I would never have imagined, that he'd be elected in the first place - so what do I know??

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I think there is no doubt that Mr Donald Trump is a very foolish man in many ways.

Also I watched a documentary today about the holocaust in WW2. There was a Nazi news reel from the time of the invasion of Russia. It was of course in German but there was writing in the English so that the persons watching the documentary could understand. It was very interesting to see that many of the words there were very close to what some politicians in Europe are saying today. The man was saying that the Jews had flooded into Europe and brought crime and disease with them and also were going to destroy the European culture. If we take the word Jew and and place refugee there instead, it tells us that the message being told to many voters today is much the same as in the Nazi times. I think this is worrying and some thing which to keep a watch on. I think the far right parties in Europe have made much progress in many places by selling these messages to people who are quick to blame others for the fault of their own leaders or perhaps even themselves. Once it becomes acceptable to begin marginalizing certain people who have different beliefs or ethnic backgrounds or are different in other ways then the road is open to very bad things indeed.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited January 2018
    I know and love many Americans but as one said to me after his election - only we could put ourselves in a position where 300 million people have a choice in choosing between the least worst candidate in a Presidential Election, which made me smile (and have spent the last 18 months apologising after he tweets) Got to say the my button is bigger than yours is a cocker,, but really no need to apologise it’s great entertainment what a **** fight (see it is easy to get the auto correct to work for you) :D

That said his US first policies will resonate with many for sure and if his finance strategies succeed he will get another term - who wouldn’t. I am not putting my money on Mrs ‘O’ just yet (though her speach was impressive but it’s just words).

Ultimately all political careers end in failure its nature of the beast :D

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    Joshua wrote:
    I think there is no doubt that Mr Donald Trump is a very foolish man in many ways.

Also I watched a documentary today about the holocaust in WW2. There was a Nazi news reel from the time of the invasion of Russia. It was of course in German but there was writing in the English so that the persons watching the documentary could understand. It was very interesting to see that many of the words there were very close to what some politicians in Europe are saying today. The man was saying that the Jews had flooded into Europe and brought crime and disease with them and also were going to destroy the European culture. If we take the word Jew and and place refugee there instead, it tells us that the message being told to many voters today is much the same as in the Nazi times. I think this is worrying and some thing which to keep a watch on. I think the far right parties in Europe have made much progress in many places by selling these messages to people who are quick to blame others for the fault of their own leaders or perhaps even themselves. Once it becomes acceptable to begin marginalizing certain people who have different beliefs or ethnic backgrounds or are different in other ways then the road is open to very bad things indeed.
    Very true Joshua and if we take the UK example without those from foreign lands many government service like the NHS would fold or be in a worse position than they are now. There are always minorities out to make or take from any race, background or religious belief (unfortunately true), but for every law abiding citizen of any race who earns a wage, pays their dues there should be a safe and secure home.

In this globally connected world borders are lines on maps but we all depend on each other like it or not.

Just my thoughts

Number24 wrote:
    3694.jpg?w=940&q=20&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&dpr=2&s=cc616178c05517383a3f5ed787c43a2f
    A friend I once met in a certain street in Hamburg once told me that all large middle aged men have small weeners. I countered maybe it was a trick of the light and maybe the size of one (belly) offset what looked like the size of the other (wonky). Obviously she had much more experience than I so I was on thin ice. Needless to say looking at these two there may be some merit in what she said :D

I saw only today on the news that an asylum seeker and his wife has been put in prison for planning the terrorist plot. I do not know the details of this plot. Unfortunately I think this person and persons like him who come into countries then wish to harm people by acts of terrorism and crime, are only handing firewood to the far right people. I also think they should lose their right to stay in the country which has been generous enough to give them aid.
    It is my opinion that the asylum seeker (I was one myself) must always respect the people and the law of the place where he or she has come to ask for safety. They must also earn respect in time if they stay by showing everyone that they will contribute to the country by hard work and integration into the society. I think many people think that asylum seeker are dirty words. Yes I think this system has been abused, but this abuse is at the expense of the genuine people who have fear for their life.
    I think many asylum seekers like me are determined to show our thanks by being good citizens and helping others. Perhaps it is more profitable for some with the agenda in certain politics to only show negatives.
    Bond44 wrote:
    A friend I once met in a certain street in Hamburg once told me that all large middle aged men have small weeners.

I am a large middle aged man! I do not think I fit into this stereotype - without fitting into the stereotype of the black man in this subject either! ;)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    I think this thread is beginning to lower itself to Trump's level.

It needs to be elevated by some Bond talk - after all this is a Bond website!

And I have a scoop for you. British Prime Minister Theresa May is to produce the next James Bond film. Her position allows the film-makers a new scope, with access to all sorts of locations hitherto off-limits, and she promises us a radical shake-up and reboot of the franchise.

Here's what we have so far: Daniel Craig will be James Bond. Naomi Harris will be Moneypenny, Ralph Fiennes as M and Christopher Waltz as Blofeld. Rory Kinnear is back too, so the big hitters admittedly are the same.

She was going to get a new director in, but Sam Mendes refused to move and after an hour-long discussion, he remains as director and is also now co-producer. :D

Locations will include a pts set in Mexico or Spain, an Italian city, maybe Rome, maybe Venice, lots of shots of London and some place in the desert, so it's all change.

There is going to be some new blood though, I think there's going to be a new villain's henchman. :) Exciting times for us Bond fans.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited January 2018
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Does anyone think trump will see a full term? Or even 2 terms?

We have to remember that the US economy is doing really well. Some think Trump can take the credit for this, others don't. But it's a fact that the economy is essential.
    We must also keep in mind that Trump put a very conservative judge in the Supreme Court, just as he promised. He also managed to reform the tax system, and it's a major change. While the reform was a huge gift to the rich, most get their taxes cut.
    While Trump is the least popular first-year president in the history of polls, he has very loyal core voters.
    My prediction is that if the economy remains healthy and he isn't brought down by the Russia-investigation he might even get a second term.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,490Chief of Staff
    I think this thread is beginning to...

.... us Bond fans.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) Oh, very good!!!
This discussion has been closed.