The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I have mentioned it before and it‘s really sad that I have to explain:
    The Oysters have been in one sentence and have been used to draw a pic about Johnson and the world (and lack of reality) that he‘s living in.

In his Brussels years, he certainly enjoyed all the treats and pleasures of living there ( and there are a lot of them in Brussels!) and he‘s still enjoying that lifestyle.

He could care less that the supermarket shelfs are empty for the normal people ( in fact, he was blatantly lying about Tesco‘s „robust supply chains“ just some days ago), the only way that Brexit may affect him is a shortage of French Champagne and Oysters.

I thought that this was crystal clear from the article - not sure how anyone could interprete it differently - may be the negative obsession with all things EU I guess.

Again, it‘s sad that I even feel the need to write all this.

You don't have to explain Higgins. I know exactly what the author was doing.

It's obvious that the he was just using lazy cliche's to have a go at Johnson.

It's actually an unpleasant article which will only serve to annoy a lot of people who read it. I am a Remainer but all that article did was wind me up. He sounded like he just had a massive chip on his shoulder.

And why do you suggest that it's to do with negative obsession with all things Europe? I certainly don't feel that way.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    I can confirm that Higgins is in a decidedly odd mood these days.

I sent him a PM about how to post pictures on AJB in a nice, large size like he does.

In response, the explanation was so complicated that I can only assume it was done deliberately because the UK is no longer in the EU. :D Twas done to spite me!

That said, our German friend wrote 'it's' when it should have been 'its' so national pride was restored!

(PS Only kidding Higgins -{ , Thanks! :) )
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Complicated??

In all honesty, I gave you the easy and short version :D :D :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    UK politics - it's a funny old game:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55477424
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,205MI6 Agent
    An alternative view of Brexit by Alexander Von Schoenberg, editor of Germany’s biggest selling newspaper. Its an excellent piece, devoid of the usual hatred posted on this thread - and remember this is the non-argumentative thread :)

Germany is famous for its Christmas: our lights, our markets, our delicious food — even the brightly decorated Christmas trees we popularised centuries ago.

But, along with the raft of new Covid vaccines, the best Christmas gift any of us could have hoped for is the new Brexit deal between the European Union and Britain.

And the man the continent should be thanking for that is Boris Johnson.

This week, I wrote in my column in the German newspaper Bild that Boris has made world history.

‘Often ridiculed by our opinionated elite as a juggler and joker, he has led his country out of the EU — without being forced into economic self-mutilation,’ I wrote.

‘For years, all supposedly sensible pundits [in Europe] have told us that Brexit spells doom for Britain. Now they have to eat their words.’

Politicians in Germany tend to be efficient but lack sparkle. Our long-standing Chancellor Angela Merkel almost seems to make a conscious effort to seem dull and technocratic, and perhaps this has served her well.

So when someone unconventional appears on the political scene, there is a tendency to write them off as unserious.

Well, never again. Perhaps it is precisely the more eccentric politicians like Johnson — who do not at all resemble the dull, stiff men and women in suits who roam most European corridors of power — that are most likely to achieve the impossible.

Just because someone has tangled hair, is prone to bursting into Latin and has a somewhat chaotic private life doesn’t mean they cannot be a statesman of historic importance.

Today, Europeans of all stripes know Boris as the man who stood up to the behemoth that is the European bloc and, against all the odds, won the day for his country.

Of course, it was not all down to him: the European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen showed grace and integrity in making the French climb down from some of their more preposterous demands, while Mrs Merkel and our unsung foreign minister, Heiko Maas, also played key parts in helping to bring off the deal.

Britain was also blessed by a brilliant negotiating team led by Lord (David) Frost, who never left Brussels in doubt that he was willing to walk away from the talks.

Those of us who believe Britain made the right choice in leaving the EU were tickled when we heard how Lord Frost tended to infuriate his erstwhile opponent, the Frenchman Michel Barnier, by referring to the EU as ‘your organisation’.

'Perhaps it is precisely the more eccentric politicians like Johnson ¿ who do not at all resemble the dull, stiff men and women in suits who roam most European corridors of power ¿ that are most likely to achieve the impossible,' said Alexander Von Schoenburg +4
    'Perhaps it is precisely the more eccentric politicians like Johnson — who do not at all resemble the dull, stiff men and women in suits who roam most European corridors of power — that are most likely to achieve the impossible,' said Alexander Von Schoenburg

German EU diplomats told me they would be in stitches whenever Frost drove Barnier up the wall like that.

Yet we must not ignore the fact that this historic deal could have come about only under a British Prime Minister who refused to be bullied by Brussels — as, I’m afraid to say, his two predecessors were.

Boris’s approach was unique. Surely no prime minister in modern history would have dared to inflame negotiations so deliberately by threatening, as Johnson did in September, to break international law and renege on the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement signed last year.

Five former PMs — every surviving one, indeed — were roused to indignant fury at the prospect.

Yet that may have been the decisive moment that helped to unlock the terrible stasis in Brussels — and bring both sides back to the table.

After years of docile, easily intimidated UK premiers, the Brussels machine realised for the first time that it was dealing with a government deadly serious about defending British sovereignty.

Boris knew that most British people, proud of Westminster as the cradle of parliamentary democracy, would simply not accept surrendering their Parliament’s independence to an assembly elected under dubious regulations in Strasbourg.

Alexander Von Schoenburg said: 'Boris¿s approach was unique. Surely no prime minister in modern history would have dared to inflame negotiations so deliberately by threatening, as Johnson did in September, to break international law and renege on the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement signed last year'

Alexander Von Schoenburg said: 'Boris’s approach was unique. Surely no prime minister in modern history would have dared to inflame negotiations so deliberately by threatening, as Johnson did in September, to break international law and renege on the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement signed last year'

I was there when your Prime Minister came to Berlin on a swelteringly hot day in August 2019. With the rest of the German press pack, I stood in the Chancellery to see him be greeted by Mrs Merkel.

It was clear that many of my fellow reporters had been briefed to watch out for mishaps: most were desperate to accuse Boris Johnson of some faux pas or to quote some remark that could be branded as ‘insensitive’ (and it’s true that Boris did serve up a few of those during his stint as Foreign Secretary).

Yet the moment that all of us remember to this day was how deftly he dealt with Mrs Merkel. At the press conference that afternoon, Boris said he would do all it took to bring about an orderly Brexit.

Then he glanced over to Mrs Merkel and said in almost accent-free German: ‘Wir schaffen das!’ (‘We can do it!’)

Our Chancellor’s smile dropped.

That little repetition of her most famous remark made at the height of the refugee crisis five years ago — during which she pledged to find a way to incorporate the huge numbers of migrants entering Europe — duly hit the spot and the headlines, and made his point perfectly.

'Boris knew that most British people, proud of Westminster as the cradle of parliamentary democracy, would simply not accept surrendering their Parliament¿s independence to an assembly elected under dubious regulations in Strasbourg,' said Alexander Von Schoenburg
    'Boris knew that most British people, proud of Westminster as the cradle of parliamentary democracy, would simply not accept surrendering their Parliament’s independence to an assembly elected under dubious regulations in Strasbourg,' said Alexander Von Schoenburg

Mrs Merkel, he was saying, had shown she was willing to act unconventionally by opening her country’s borders. So why not craft a deal that created a special bond between Britain and the EU without forcing the former to be tethered to the latter’s laws?

To this day, in common with much of Europe, Germany’s Left-wing media deplores Britain’s departure, even as it grudgingly welcomes the deal Johnson has brokered.

I invariably try to explain that Brexit has always been a question of when, not if.

Boris was right to call the EU a respectable project created by honourable men who were determined never again to wage war against each other.

But within that noble and blameless ambition has always been the implicit drive to integrate ever further — and ultimately make Europe’s internal borders blur into one other.

In the end — as Germany’s most respected politician today, Wolfgang Schaeuble, the President of our Bundestag Parliament, admits — the urge is to align fiscal and budget policies.

This will centralise the EU to such an extent that not only separate national governments, but even the nations themselves will become a thing of the past, at least in all practical and legal senses.

That is the final meaning of the ‘ever-closer union’ to which the British could not and would never agree.

Whether or not it is right for Germany, France, Italy and the rest of the EU27 is one thing: but it is wholly irreconcilable with the British idea of sovereignty — based on your position as an island and also (in the case of England) as a geopolitical entity unconquered for almost a millennium.

Part of Boris Johnson’s historic triumph may have been to help the rest of Europe to understand all this.

By enhancing our knowledge in this way, perhaps he has taught us an important lesson — and given us a Christmas gift of sorts, too.

And though I could offer him some of my country’s famous stollen cake in return, to tell the truth I’ve always preferred your own Christmas pudding.

So next year, I’ll be putting one of those on my family’s table. And I’ll be glad it will have crossed the border thanks to a successful, free-trading partnership between your country and mine.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    edited December 2020
    First of all - freedom of opinion - also for AvS.

Alexander Von Schoenberg is a commentator for Germany‘s largest tabloid ( with a strong populist agenda) and he‘s in charge for the far right stream on this „newspaper“ which it isn‘t.
    He‘s a strong supporter for everything Trump does - so take his opinion with a grain of salt. And his francophobe opinion does not represent any significant part of the population here.

I‘ve read the quoted piece - it‘s a nasty piece - one of the most that he‘s done.
    Frost driving Barnier up a wall - ridiculous :)) :))

He has been the frontrunner and still is the posterboy for the AfD, he takes every occasion attacking Mrs. Merkel (from the right) and he is the one who constantly rants against refugees and other minorities!

So well chosen, CHB! :D

Because of all that lunacy, ignorance and lack of any sense for the hard reality, I‘d have preferred a clean cut with a Hard Brexit - just to put an example.
    Now the legend is that Johnson wrestled the EU down :)) :))

Add to say, that if UK would have left without a deal, the legend would have been that the evil EU where treating the UK unfairly.

That‘s the negative obsession with all things EU that I spoke about earlier.

My private bet that your comeback would be that his opinion does not count, has been won.

In fact any opposite opinion to yours is derided, sanctimoniously, every time.

What he writes is true, you don’t like it, but even so, the fact remains that the EU capitulated, as was always going to be the case.

No further posts on this subject will be written by myself.
    Oh and you are wrong again.

His opinion counts, but he and his opinion - fortunately - does not represent any significant part of the german population.
    Consensus about the EU, Brexit, Johnson and his team and the Brexit deal is exactly opposite to his by I‘d say 95%

Seriously?
    What he writes is true, you don’t like it, but even so, the fact remains that the EU capitulated, as was always going to be the case.

Not about Brexit so my reply is allowed :)

Seeing as Bild has the highest circulation figures in Germany, thus reflecting its readership’s opinions, your 95% estimation is seriously flawed, showing it is you who “is wrong again”.
    edited December 2020
    Bild is in Germany like The Sun in the UK.

And I have tried to explain that AvS presents the far right populist wing in a tabloid and wrote his opinion. He‘s allowed and welcome to do this.

But that doesn‘t mean that he significantly represents german‘s opinion re. the EU, Brexit, Johnson etc.

If someone wrote a Pro-EU editorial in the Express or the Sun, this wouldn’t necessarily mean that this represents the majority of their leaders, readers or the population, no?

Feel free to disagree

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,567Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    First of all - freedom of opinion - also for AvS.

Alexander Von Schoenberg is a commentator for Germany‘s largest tabloid ( with a strong populist agenda) and he‘s in charge for the far right stream on this „newspaper“ which it isn‘t.
    He‘s a strong supporter for everything Trump does - so take his opinion with a grain of salt. And his francophobe opinion does not represent any significant part of the population here.

I‘ve read the quoted piece - it‘s a nasty piece - one of the most that he‘s done.
    Frost driving Barnier up a wall - ridiculous :)) :))

He has been the frontrunner and still is the posterboy for the AfD, he takes every occasion attacking Mrs. Merkel (from the right) and he is the one who constantly rants against refugees and other minorities!

So well chosen, CHB! :D

Because of all that lunacy, ignorance and lack of any sense for the hard reality, I‘d have preferred a clean cut with a Hard Brexit - just to put an example.
    Now the legend is that Johnson wrestled the EU down :)) :))

Add to say, that if UK would have left without a deal, the legend would have been that the evil EU where treating the UK unfairly.

That‘s the negative obsession with all things EU that I spoke about earlier.

I have to agree with most of what Higgins says here - and yes, I’m going for a long lie down in a darkened room immediately :o

One of the few things I disagree with is his last line about some perceived negative obsession with the EU...like every multinational corporation/group the EU doesn’t get everything right, in fact many EU countries recognise that the EU needs reform...what I do find tiresome is you banging on about wanting the UK to be forced into a hard Brexit - that’s not in the spirit of peace and compromise...
    YNWA 97
    The problem is that many in the UK see compromise as capitulation and weakness.
    I only wished that the UK would get was has been voted for in the referendum: Brexit and following to the majority of Brexiteers here - that meant a hard Brexit :D

Higgins wrote:
    I only wished that the UK would get was has been voted for in the referendum: Brexit and following to the majority of Brexiteers here - that meant a hard Brexit :D

That’s one big brush you are wielding there :o

I don’t think we are ALL that stoopid - undoubtedly many are...after all we voted Johnson in 8-)

I’m not convinced that the majority of the (roughly) 52% that voted for Brexit wanted a Hard Brexit...although I am convinced that many had no idea exactly WHAT they were voting for :s
    YNWA 97
    Hey, don‘t go the dictatorial path and doubt the voter motives in a „free and fair“ democratic Vote!

I‘ve leaned my arse out of that window for 4 years - you want to join me finally?

Higgins wrote:
    Hey, don‘t go the dictatorial path and doubt the voter motives in a „free and fair“ democratic Vote!

I‘ve leaned my arse out of that window for 4 years - you want to join me finally?

There has NEVER been a “free and fair” democratic vote - ever X-(

And that’s your arse...? Nice smile :v :D
    YNWA 97
    Well, a compromise WAS worked out in the end. In the final days the EU did capitulate to a large,but not total, extent from their previous stance. It’s best for both sides that a deal was finally agreed.

The leave vote won by 4%, or over 1.3 million votes.

Mrs May, possibly the worst PM ever (Ted Heath is in competition here), submitted to the EU for a right shafting, leaving Britain as a vassal state. The public quite rightly upped arms and got shot of her, leaving Boris in as PM who promised a proper divorce.

He won an 80 seat majority, swathes of Labour votes went to the Conservatives to make this happen.

I still find it amazing that the old “didn’t know what they were voting for” expression keeps getting bandied about, I have more faith in the general public of the working heartlands of Britain than the smug, pretentious, sanctimonious, sneering, elitist metropolitan mob who look down on us mere mortals.

The deal is good for the EU and it’s good for Britain. There will be periods of hardship on both sides but down the line it will be fo the best for both sides.
    You are deflecting!

I was talking specifically about the Brexit referendum and my opinion still is

- the campaigning was misleading - full of lies ( in particular about the EU) with a strong xenophobic undertone
    - Russia where influencing that Vote by their massive contributions for „Leave“
    - While voting for Brexit - a large part of those people did not mean to exit without a deal
    - the result was massively influenced by the lack of voter participation particularly by young people and Remainers, who all thought that Remaining was a done deal

I have never seen you backing me up when I‘ve received decent flak for those positions X-(

Well, a compromise WAS worked out in the end. In the final days the EU did capitulate to a large,but not total, extent from their previous stance. .

The EU position was always to keep a level playfield and as I understand UK products can only be sold to the EU market by certificating that EU standards are kept.
    Otherwise tariffs will be charged.

I can‘t see much capitulation here - the 0,3% contribution to the BIP by the fishermen aside.

It‘ll be interesting to see if the EU membership fees will remain to flow „hidden or not“ for that „privilege“ - I do hope so but can live with it if they don‘t

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

I imagine there are those on both sides who see compromise as capitulation and weakness, just as there are those who realise that it's healthy and rational. Making 'an example' of the UK is hardly showing the spirit of goodwill or compromise, wouldn't you say?

I'm sure you've read the detail of the agreement, so you'll realise that the UK compromised on a significant number of things, such as restrictions on trade, travel and fishing among others. Looks to me like both sides can hold their heads high.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    I imagine there are those on both sides who see compromise as capitulation and weakness, just as there are those who realise that it's healthy and rational. Making 'an example' of the UK is hardly showing the spirit of goodwill or compromise, wouldn't you say?

I absolutely agree!

But having heard the arrogance, rhetoric, insults, lies and such that came from the Brexiteers and their associated press for the last 4 years, I‘ve gotten totally fed up and just wanted a Hard Brexit.

For the sole purpose to show how wrong the Brexiteers where and still are!

It may surprise you - contrary to the main perception - I am not perfect :D

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,793MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

That's a depressing and alarming view. It's wrong and it's exactly what Putin and other anti-democracy leaders wants us to think.
    Higgins wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Hear, hear!
    Number24 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

That's a depressing and alarming view. It's wrong and it's exactly what Putin and other anti-democracy leaders wants us to think.

If only :# and I’m surprised that this comes as a shock to you :o
    YNWA 97
    I still find it amazing that the old “didn’t know what they were voting for” expression keeps getting bandied about, I have more faith in the general public of the working heartlands of Britain than the smug, pretentious, sanctimonious, sneering, elitist metropolitan mob who look down on us mere mortals.

With respect, you don’t live here anymore...Brexit was ‘sold’ on Boris’s bus 8-) which was just an outright lie...and it’s not the first time he’s told such huge whoppers...but Brexit was mainly ‘fought’ on “keeping foreigners out”...a sad but true state of affairs...so around 52% of the general public of the UK are either xenophobic or they didn’t know what they were voting for...
    YNWA 97
    edited December 2020
    Sir Miles wrote:
    but Brexit was mainly ‘fought’ on “keeping foreigners out”...a sad but true state of affairs...so around 52% of the general public of the UK are either xenophobic or they didn’t know what they were voting for...

{[] {[]

Higgins wrote:
    You are deflecting!

I was talking specifically about the Brexit referendum and my opinion still is

- the campaigning was misleading - full of lies ( in particular about the EU) with a strong xenophobic undertone
    - Russia where influencing that Vote by their massive contributions for „Leave“
    - While voting for Brexit - a large part of those people did not mean to exit without a deal
    - the result was massively influenced by the lack of voter participation particularly by young people and Remainers, who all thought that Remaining was a done deal

I have never seen you backing me up when I‘ve received decent flak for those positions X-(

Was this aimed at me?
    If I was “deflecting” it’s more to do with the fact that I had no idea what you were on about :))

As for your points above…
    True. But FAR less to do with the EU.
    Possible to a degree.
    True. But that’s because Cameron thought he was being clever by only giving an ‘either or’ question.
    False. Everyone knew the result would be very close. Young voters were targeted specifically and encouraged to vote...and many did.

You are a big boy...you don’t need my help...do you? :v
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

If only :# and I’m surprised that this comes as a shock to you :o
    I believe in democracy and with few exeption election in democracies the election are fair. Not only according to me, but also according to the courts, election observeres, the political parties, the press and the voters. Try to explain why you think they are wrong.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :))
    Who ever loses an Election always claim it wasn't “free and fair” . We have Trump supporters
    in the US crying that at the moment. Back in 2016 the Democrats were upset and also
    claimed it wasn't “free and fair” due to the Russians ( always the bad guys ), With the
    Brexit vote, all the Anti-Brexit coalition also used the same excuses to claim that vote
    ( You guessed it ) .... wasn't “free and fair” :)) we'll all hear the same accusations
    in 2024. Happily only the SNP accept the outcome of a referendum, they haven't mentioned
    Independence since. ;)

"I was so upset with my Parents voting for Biden, I've decided not to visit their graves this week" :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    As far as I can remember those are among the very few excepions (I did write "almost"). Every year there are lots of election all over the world. With the exeption of the mess in the US the losers accept the result as free and fair. I'm leaving out Brexit because it wasn't an election and it's been debated so much in this forum. The Russian involvement in the 2016 election is well documented by law enforcement and intelligence organisations, not to mention the Muller report. (No direct link was found between Trump and the Russian involvement, but the report was very clear about the Russians helping Trump) . After the 2020 election the Republicans made about fifty attempts to prove election fraud, but they lost every single time. This includes the Supreme Court where Republican presidents has apointed six of the nine judges, including three apointed by Trump himself.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Thanks N24, you've just proved my point. :)) Nothing wrong with our outcome, but
    It's a proven FACT that "their" election was fraudulent {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
This discussion has been closed.