The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    How on earth did I prove your point? I believe facts matter. If Trump had won in November and the Democrats had claimed he won it through voter fraud, then taken it to court and lost fifty times (even in courts dominated by Democrat apointed judges) and wining a total of zero cases - I would have said Trump won fair and square. Facts matter because if people stop believing that and think everything is just a matter of opinion and perspective, then we as a society are lost.
    This year the Democrats have about fifty court rulings and the Republicans basicly have rumours on Facebook and Twitter. There is a difference and it's not what party I favour.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    You're not a Trump fan, as many past post can prove, and you're not happy about him winning
    back in 2016, so you are not an impartial person, I bet he wouldn't like you on his Jury :D
    So you keep posting about how he's in the control or the pesky Russians. You're obviously
    watching too much CNN ;)

Michael Gove really took the p*ss out of Ian Blackford today in Parliament, Sometimes that
    place is a real bear pit, :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I was very unhappy about Trump winning in 2016. But he won that election and I accepted it because that's how democracies work. I spoke out (posted out?) against the "Not my president!" protesters because Trump was in fact the president.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    It shouldn't keep anyone up at night, that's true. ;)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :)) Oh, I'll be up for ages, since I won't be working for the next six weeks. I've
    nothing to get up early for. I read today that Alastair Campbell has given up on
    re-joining the EU, as he's now going to save the planet, so stand back Greta,
    Alastair is taking over. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    "You don't like the outcome of the election, you accuse the other side of having had unfair elections"

In a world of populists and simplification - this may sound reasonable - but it's simply not true.

The US 2016 were manipulated by the Russians - even most of the US agencies confirm this - just like the recent Cyber attack on US Institutions by the Russians.

I can honestly say, that in the last 16 years - in all Government Elections, local elections and elections for the EU parliament, I have never voted for the late winner!
    I have accepted the voter decisions and never spoken up about "rigged" or "unfair elections"

Biden was my preference in 2020 but I have called out (and still do) the US elections being unfair for several reasons:

- The system with the Electoral College is unfair as it often happens locally and nationally that the majority of votes is simply not respected.
    - The US - and in particular the Republican Party have a long history of voter supression which is shameful and still goes on with Gerrymandering and the recent campaign against mail in voting.

What I observe is WHATABOUTISM* (yes, it's a term - just look it up) in political discussions here and in social media in general.

When one writes about the lies of the Brexit Camp, the standard tactics of the other side is "What about the lies from the Remain Camp" as if it makes the Brexit lies any less significant.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,205MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I still find it amazing that the old “didn’t know what they were voting for” expression keeps getting bandied about, I have more faith in the general public of the working heartlands of Britain than the smug, pretentious, sanctimonious, sneering, elitist metropolitan mob who look down on us mere mortals.

With respect, you don’t live here anymore...Brexit was ‘sold’ on Boris’s bus 8-) which was just an outright lie...and it’s not the first time he’s told such huge whoppers...but Brexit was mainly ‘fought’ on “keeping foreigners out”...a sad but true state of affairs...so around 52% of the general public of the UK are either xenophobic or they didn’t know what they were voting for...

I may well have emigrated, Sir Miles, but I have not lost my nationality.

Of the 52% who voted Leave, granted, a very small percentage may have been xenophobic, my guess would be a mere fraction of 1%.
    To say the rest didn’t know what they were voting for is ludicrous. I think you severely underestimate the knowledge of the working class, they have been deserted by the Labour Party and now have no choice but to vote Conservative to keep Labour out of power.

My prediction is that the next election will be fought by Labour saying, “we will rejoin the EU if you vote Labour.” Further ensuing a landslide Conservative victory.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    On the point of not living here, how
    Many celebs not living in the UK all
    Campaigned for remain ? Surely this
    Is all " sauce for the goose " ;)
    And how many said they would leave the UK if we left the EU?

Emma Thompson, Jamie Oliver and the rest - let’s see you act upon your words :D
    „You are not living here...“

Whatabout all the Celebrities ...“

Proves my point :D

:)) Happy to be of service, M'lord

Watching a bit of The Remains of the Day, It struck me as how in one hundred years things
    haven't really changed. Anthony Hopkins as the butler of a grand house. Is quizzed by one
    of the toffs, on the gold standard etc. Hopkins says he doesn't know much about it, and the
    Toff replies something like " Yet, these are the people you want to give a vote ! ".
    Sounds to me very much like " They didn't know what they were voting for " mantra we
    hear from the Pro EU side. Showing the divide between the upper and middle classes and the
    working class in Britain.
    Still what's done is done, Those who are pro EU will remain so and those who are for an
    Independent Britain will also remain so. So why keep kicking over the coals of a dying fire.
    I'll simply end with I hope we all have a better 2021 and that both the EU and Britain will
    have a successful future.
    Please note that Sir Miles has not even tried to argue why he believes there's never been a fair election.
    The Conservatives labeling themselfs being the saviors of the working class and middle class.
    Or working/middle class people who live the illusion that the Conservatives do care and fight for them....

I am not sure what is more crazy - but who'd thought that that pitch would even remotely work.... :)) :)) :)) :))

“Namaste" oh great one :D
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    Please note that Sir Miles has not even tried to argue why he believes there's never been a fair election.

Please note that I’ve been at work...if that’s ok with you?

Or should I quit just so I can tell you what you already suspect but refuse to see?
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I still find it amazing that the old “didn’t know what they were voting for” expression keeps getting bandied about, I have more faith in the general public of the working heartlands of Britain than the smug, pretentious, sanctimonious, sneering, elitist metropolitan mob who look down on us mere mortals.

With respect, you don’t live here anymore...Brexit was ‘sold’ on Boris’s bus 8-) which was just an outright lie...and it’s not the first time he’s told such huge whoppers...but Brexit was mainly ‘fought’ on “keeping foreigners out”...a sad but true state of affairs...so around 52% of the general public of the UK are either xenophobic or they didn’t know what they were voting for...

I may well have emigrated, Sir Miles, but I have not lost my nationality.

Of the 52% who voted Leave, granted, a very small percentage may have been xenophobic, my guess would be a mere fraction of 1%.
    To say the rest didn’t know what they were voting for is ludicrous. I think you severely underestimate the knowledge of the working class, they have been deserted by the Labour Party and now have no choice but to vote Conservative to keep Labour out of power.

My prediction is that the next election will be fought by Labour saying, “we will rejoin the EU if you vote Labour.” Further ensuing a landslide Conservative victory.

I don’t recall saying you had lost your nationality...not sure why that would even be relevant ?:)

Who mentioned the ‘working class’? Are you telling me only the working class voted in the 52% majority?

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion...but I would suggest your figures would be closer if you switched them...Brexit was basically fought on “keeping foreigners out” :# no matter how you try and hide from it, that is the truth...it’s all Farage seemed to bang on about :o
    Of course NOBODY knew what they were voting for - it’s taken over FOUR YEARS to try and cobble something together...and people STILL don’t know what’s going on :)) :# :o
    YNWA 97
    the claim of a fraction of 1% being xenophobic is ludicrous!

Shows how out of touch some people really are....

Stanley Johnson will apply for the French Citizenship!

Higgins wrote:

Again, I can only agree...which really concerns me :o
    YNWA 97
    https://youtu.be/1QeqjkNVviY
    This might help. along with some Lavender and Chamomile Oils ;)
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Please note that I’ve been at work...if that’s ok with you?

Or should I quit just so I can tell you what you already suspect but refuse to see?

Being at work is an excellent reason not to reply. You know, it's new years eve. We both have better things to do and I want to end the year on a positive note. Why don't we take rain check? :) -{
    I too would like to end the year on a High Note ;)

high-F.jpg
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,317Chief of Staff
    That's an E. For a tenor, no problem at all. For a baritone, a high note but not unreasonable. For a bass, very high! I'm a bass-baritone so can only hit that on a good day. :#
    :)) Very Interesting, I play by ear, as I find using your Hands, too easy
    I was actually looking for a High F, but couldn't find one.
    so Now when asked about Politics I can honestly say I couldn't give an F ;)
    cr67-pre-credits.jpg

There you go, TP.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Again, I can only agree...which really concerns me :o

Out of touch. Just about the mildest insult anyone could throw out, but an insult all the same. I expect nothing less from Higgins, he always resorts to insults when he loses an argument. But I am a little disappointed that you endorsed it, Sir Miles, especially as you are a moderator, but I take no offence, really, it’s quite laughable but also a little sad, that you’re both so bitter about your ideals being rejected by the democratic majority, that you allow it to eat away at your insides.

But it’s 2021 here, just gone 7am and 80F. I’m sitting in my rocking chair on the balcony, eating my James Bond breakfast of natural yogurt, fresh green figs and coffee, white not black, but it is Blue Mountain. I will soon be on a video call with my daughter to celebrate the UK new year. I hope you both will find the peace and contentment that I have in the coming year, because the stress of being so bitter is not healthy for you.

So, happy new year, Higgins, happy new year Sir Miles {[]

This is definitely my last post on Brexit, it has just flashed up on my phone that 11pm has passed in the UK and the breakaway is complete. But despite Brexit, I still want to know why thousands of people want to risk their lives leaving the wondrous utopia of the EU countries, by traversing the English Channel in flimsy rubber dinghies, to enter the nasty, racist, xenophobic UK?
    Being „Out of Touch“ an insult?

Sunshine - your last „question“ just shows how out of touch and clueless *you really are!

First of all the few refugees that are crossing the Channel from France to the UK is nothing compared what happens in the Med Sea from Turkey to Greece, Italy and Spain.
    We all should be ashamed how we are treating many of those individuals who had to leave home because there is war and other nasty stuff - instead of using them for a cheap shot like you just did.

The reasons why some try to leave France in that direction are many:
    Some of them have been rejected in EU countries, some of them hope that their applications are processed much quicker then in France.
    Before you start praising the UK for that again, look up the number of refugee applications in France vs UK.

Happy New Year to you as well!

* and that‘s the version giving you benefit of doubt

Peace, guys, this is getting out of hand.

Please remember the title of this thread and don't make matters personal. I won't hesitate to close it if necessary, and point out our wonderful PM system.

Now, a Happy New Year to all.
    Happy New Year, Barbel.

Higgins, you can keep throwing insults at me until all that angst inside you has gone, I will not retaliate, but once you have finished and all that hatred has gone, you may well find an inner peace and be in a better place. :)

Once again, a happy and peaceful new year to you.

And thank you to all those who have PM’d me with support but don’t want to express themselves openly on here, as always, the silent majority rule.
    8-) I still have no idea where I have been insulting you - or is any opinion that you don‘t like - offensive for you?

You have no idea about my life and about how happy I am so stop speculating about matters that you - again - have no clue about!

This discussion has been closed.