New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,714MI6 Agent

I think it’s interesting to note just how similar that ‘walking down the hall in Elizabeth’ anecdote is to the Connery ‘walking like a panther’ one, and how somehow it’s used as ammo against Ms Broccoli whereas the panther one is used to illustrate how clever Cubby and Harry were, even though the choice of both actors was shown to be equally successful. Is it just misogyny?

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent

Whoa there.

I don’t know the anecdote about Connery resembling a panther, a tiger, or any of the other big cats.

I am a fan of Craig’s Bond and believe Broccoli’s instinct and approach were defensible, smart, and an unqualified success, and I hope she trusts her gut going forward. I’ll take her intuition (and what she finds rugged and sexy) over some of the cold calculations I’ve seen on display here and elsewhere. That was the point of my post.

In general I wouldn’t carelessly accuse people of misogyny (or any form of prejudice) on this forum. It’s bad manners. And a smaller man than I might take offense.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,344Chief of Staff

Having read the above, I would suggest that emtiem was speaking generally and not specifically about you, Cheverian, although I can see how it might be read that way.

No more here. Take it to PMs if you have to.

Oh, and the anecdote re Connery was about Saltzman and/or Broccoli (accounts differ) watching Sean from their office window as he left from their first meeting, comparing his walk to one of the big cats. "For a big man, he moves light on his feet, like a cat".

• Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent

Richard Madden from Bodyguard. Ideal choice.

• CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent

The Elba conversation is picking up steam again. If all the fervor about age is true, then he'll be too old. Wasn't he last rumored to be a contender for a villain role? Publicity is publicity I guess.

James Bond producers say Idris Elba is 'part of the conversation' to be the next 007 | Ents & Arts News | Sky News

I edit, therefore I am.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

He was originally written as a spy then evolved into more of a secret agent!….didn’t think there was anything silly about Hiddleston casting as special forces imo… contrary to popular belief most special forces aren’t the muscle bound guys on social media!

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    edited January 2022

Yes. I don' tlike to repeat myself ...... actually I do it all the time, but here's a picture of a modern day Special Boat Service soldier. There seems to be some kind of blotch covering his face (😉), but this clearly isn't a man who spends his days lifting weights.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

I suppose Idris could do Mr Bond like Sir Ian Mckellen did Mr Holmes...

There is a generation of wonderful actors who seem to have been heading peoples lists for the entire Craig era whose moment has slipped by...but it would be a fascinating aside to take the Bob Dylan I'm Not There treatment and find a vehicle to give them all a one off shot.

• MepharielMephariel Posts: 15MI6 Agent

The problem for me is, he has a sad puppy face. He is very good looking, but he always has this guilty sad face that I don't associate with Bond.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent

If they’re going to cast someone as old as Idris, I’d just as soon they bring back Pierce. Michael Keaton is playing Batman again so why not? (I’m joking. Mostly).

Think ideal age for a new Bond is 42(sounds old) Pierce and Tim were both 42…do 3 good standalone films … first at 42…second 45 and third 48… no Bond begins …no backstory … just Bond an established agent being sent on a mission… no personal stuff… no rogue agent stuff either!..can we please have that for next 3 movies!…Gives Cavill the chance to get all his other commitments out the way… he has 3-4 years before he is 42😂

edited January 2022

Blimey, I keep repeating it: I’m not talking about build but about being convincing. Niven in Navarone: convincing; Clint in Eagles Dare: convincing; Hiddleston in Kong: fey and unconvincing. Looks like an actor pretending to be hard.

I thought he was myself and believe me I have met many SF officers( I was never in them btw) and believe me my friend unless you knew you would not be “convinced “ they were!.. I think Hiddlestone could be interesting in the role.. you don’t…let’s leave it at that👍

edited January 2022

I hate this “I’ve met real ones therefore my opinion is better” stuff: you don’t know my experiences or who I’ve met, and frankly it doesn’t matter- if an audience member finds someone to be wet and unconvincing they don’t need to prove it. Craig wasn’t more convincing as Brosnan as a doublehard guy just because he’s a bit bulkier, it’s all about the way he carries himself and the way he plays the character.

Hiddleston would be a disaster, he’s like a wet paper bag. Just watch him in the Night Manager even trying to copy Connery’s walk.

I’m sorry to hear you never got in any SF officers, maybe you should have tried buying them a drink ;)

"Got in any SF officers" 😮😏

We don't all dream of experiencing that 🤣

To be fair we all do embarrasing mistakes when posting, or at least I do it a lot. In a recent PM I wanted to write trainspotting, but wrote transpotting instead! 🤣

• StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent

Agreed Daddy! I think so many of us just want that. Cavill would be great, but Idris now seems the most likely...prepare to divide the fans at least as much as Daniel Craig did in 2005!

Idris is 49 or 50 ....

What makes you say Idris is most likely? The recent podcast where Ms. Broccoli referenced Idris is being taken wildly out of context by the clickbait press. She was asked a pointed question about people wanting him to be Bond and she very politely said he’s a great actor and a friend. There was no “wink and a nod” here. Just a courteous answer to a stupid question.

Idris won’t play Bond, but I could certainly see him playing a villain, and I think he’d be great.

Yes agreed he would make a great villain!

Or a great M, but only if the next Bond actor is clearly younger. We can't have a Bond and M who look like they went to school together.

Haven’t we just had that 24😂

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,135MI6 Agent

I could see Idris playing M. I think he would be a good M.

I could see they might have him and a much younger actor as Bond in the field together on a mission at the start, to build up Idris' part and the new M character and acting as a superior officer/father type figure to Bond. I wouldn't like that angle personally, but nothing would surprise me anymore.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    edited January 2022

We did, but I think M should be clearly older than Bond. That's still the traditional way.

I think Idris would kill it as M. Love that idea.

I do think we’ll see Idris in Bond at some point. Just not AS Bond.

Think he would be a better villain…war lord/war criminal sort of thing!

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

Idris would make a great M. The only drawback could be that with someone like Idris Elba, could EON resist putting him out in the field with Bond?

Clark Peters and David Harewood would also make good M's.

Elba plays a war lord/war criminal type in "Beast of no nation" (2015). I haven't seen it, but reportedly he's brilliant in it.