Danny Boyle has left Bond25 over 'creative differences'

191011121315»

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,394MI6 Agent

thats how I read it too, TwoFour, back to thematic Roots

and other than that, and the two bits that made it into the film we saw, I dont see much actual info about what Boyle wanted to do. more about how Boyle fancies himself too good for franchise films. ah well, thought it was worth sharing, since we'd long speculated.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 658MI6 Agent

maybe...I probably got distracted by this in the article I read "What seems to have stalled things with Boyle’s vision for Bond’s final outing was wanting to confine the story to Russia and deliver an internal drama around Bond’s origins."

Point stands re John Lydon though.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 19,966MI6 Agent
    edited May 11

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think the overall plot can be used now anyway because of the current political situtaion, the Russian war in Ukraine and the new cold war. Ironic, isn't it? A plot about Bond and cold war can (maybe) not be shot because of cold war ....

It's possible the plot can be used if countries like Finland, Hungary and the Czeck republic is used as stand-ins for Russia, but my guess is the script will be canibalized for use in other Bond movies.

• DblOJoeDblOJoe Posts: 65MI6 Agent

I am reading this article and just shaking my head......

I don't believe for a single second that DBoyles script was so outlandishly different and controversial then the crap that was penned for NTTD. Boyle left because he thought that killing Bond off was an idiotic idea and didn't want to be a part of DCraigs final F-You to the franchise/character. I can totally see the temper tantrum DCraig might of had over the phone with Barbara as she was trying to get him to come back after Spectre being like "If I come back one last time, Barbara, then I need to be a co-producer and I am killing Bond the **** off so I never have to do this **** again". 🤣

I don't believe the Boyle script was outlandishly different. If so, why would EON sign on to it in the first place? Neither do I think EON was blackmailed into the NTTD ending. I actually believe it was naturally for CraigBond to both show the begining AND the end of that timeline and both Craig and EON saw it that way. However I do think Craig insisted on that ending, and being sure he wouldn't be asked the rest of his life if he was going to return as James Bond (like Connery) was important to him. This doesn't mean NTTD was a "F- You" from Craig to the Bond character and franchise. Craig always had a deep affection fro James Bond, even though his vison of Bond wasn't the same as all Bond fans.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 33,421Chief of Staff

To quote Q- "That's putting it mildly, 007".

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,627Chief of Staff
    YNWA 97
    Currently Head of Station C: Canada 🇨🇦

EON did go for that script for some time, that was what I meant.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,627Chief of Staff

Not really…there already was a script but Boyle wanted his own input, so Hodge was hired.

Eon went with Boyle for some time.

YNWA 97
    Currently Head of Station C: Canada 🇨🇦

Can you say anything about what was so outlandish about Boyle's ideas?

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,291MI6 Agent
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 658MI6 Agent
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,394MI6 Agent

asp said:

Making Bond a drug addict.

would he at least have a Scootish accent once again?

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 9,713MI6 Agent

Boyle's latest interview has him saying that his treatment had Bond dying - it was in Craig's contract so it had to be done - but his plan was to take Bond back to Russia, and his past - but the powers that be didn't like it so that was that.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent

I like Tildesley's comment about trying to get Danny involved again. Makes you wonder.

• John from CorkJohn from Cork Posts: 84MI6 Agent

Boyles treatment didn't make any sense as Russia and the cold war aren't part of Craig's Bonds past, he only got his double O status in 2006.

edited June 8

My interpretation of Boyle is that the character as written by Fleming has his roots in the cold war, not CraigBond.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 4,758MI6 Agent

Hodge did get scratch his itch by writing the recent Ipcress File TV series, which I thought was pretty good fun.