Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,796MI6 Agent
    edited August 2022

I took these photos a few nights ago. No filters were used because I don't know how. I can't tell you exactly where it is. Section 26 paragraph 5. I'm sure you understand.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff

It's your back door, isn't it? 😁 Beautiful!

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,257MI6 Agent

Very nice

edited August 2022
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

...and Finland reminded me of Canada, only with more herrings.

Finland also has more saunas than Canada. Probably cannons and citizens with military training too.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    YNWA 97

My sources say Finland is full of mixed-gender saunas. I'm very interested in different cultures.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,222MI6 Agent

I think you know when you’re getting old when the headline news is the passing of someone you’ve never heard of! Condolences to the family and friends of Darius Danesh, but I don’t watch reality television it’s never appealed to me, but it does show how out of touch I am with the real world as it is now. I hardly watch any new films, there really is virtually nothing that appeals to me, I’m done to death with superhero movies, although I still love to read my silver age comicbooks. The Bond films are going in a direction I don’t like and it may well be the end of that for me as well. I will stick to the original DN-LTK run instead, although I will watch CR06 again, such a shame it ultimately went lame.

I know that the world progresses and it’s for the young generation, I can remember laughing at my dad for not knowing who Roy Wood and Noddy Holder were, it’s just when you actually reach that point in your life you wonder where all the years went.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Agree with you on most of that, of course, but I still have hope that the Bond films will sort themselves out.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

A new era of Bond films is always a chance for change and a new direction. If you don't like the current direction of the Bond films there's always the hope that you will like the next iteration of Bond better. I'm a Bond film traditionalist too though I did enjoy the back to the books approach of the Craig era after the Fleming-lite Brosnan era.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

Just wait for f*king snow shovel season in Canada.

I bet you‘re gonna miss the UK very soon 🤔

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited August 2022

Just saw my cousin and his wife over from Toronto last night at a family get together and his wife was talking about Vancouver and Victoria. She said they were very British compared with other parts of Canada and that a lot of rich retirees lived there, given the property prices there.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited October 2022

Have you seen the Finish PM's leaked dancing video? Fight for your right to PAAARTY, is say!

What kind of crisis can happen in Finland in the middle of the night that requires a completely sober PM anyway? 😁

I say we forgive her because she's hot. ☺️

It speaks for the crazy time that we are living in when those kind of recordings are used as political footballs.

She‘s dancing - she‘s having fun - where is the problem?

edited August 2022

I think we should be very grateful it's her we get a video of dancing and not for example Olaf Schulz, Boris Johnson or Biden. 😧

edited August 2022

I hear she's having a drug test taken to prove she wasn't on any illegal drugs at the time. I suppose politicians partying has been a big news story here in the UK over the last year with the Partygate scandal. It's been one of the things that has forced Boris Johnson out of office. I've read that the German Chancellor Olaf Scholz is in some kind of bother too and there are even calls for him to resign.

I would like someone to compare the dancing of Sanna Marin and Theresa May. Who's the best?

Surely there's no contest with the UK's own Dancing Queen? It has to be Theresa May.

It was not the partying per se that forced BoJo out of office.

He shouldn‘t have repeatedly done it while demanding that his population stay at home during Covid lockdowns and he constantly and blatantly lied about it.

So, imo you are comparing apples with oranges here 😉

It’s the housekeeper’s day off today and Mrs CHB has gone to church with family, so I’ve cooked myself a James Bond breakfast. Scrambled eggs on sourdough toast followed by more toast with Frank Cooper’s Vintage Oxford marmalade and a pot of Blue Mountain coffee. Part of the joy of reading Fleming was his descriptions of food and drink, the stone crabs with melted butter and toast and pink champagne in silver tankards in LALD always makes me hungry!

So, last night...

Our drummer's Ruby Wedding. We're supposed to be retired now, but obviously this was pleasantly unavoidable.

(And the Bond joke- ten fingers on the Fender!)

The Last Waltz?

I’m planning a trip to the UK next Spring, I hope to get to Scotland at some point, it would be nice to see the group out of retirement for one last gig while I’m there 🙂

YNWA 97

That’s probably true…Victoria has a big ex-pat community, and house prices are eye-wateringly high 😳 but it’s FAR more diverse now 🙂

From Salt Spring Island…fabulous place, but no internet for 3 days 😱🤣

YNWA 97

Canada has always been on my “must visit” list and your pictures have elevated it to the top of the tree @Sir Miles

The photos honestly don’t do this country justice 😮

I’m currently in Calgary airport awaiting my flight home ☹️

I can’t wait to return 🍸

YNWA 97

Strikes, shortages, and soaring prices all await you, Sir Miles.

edited August 2022

No, I know it wasn't the partying during lockdown alone that forced Johnson out of office. That was why I said it was merely one of the things that did force him out in the end. Like a snowball rolling down a hill, these things tend to grow and gather momentum until they are simply unstoppable. Of course, Johnson tried to hold on to high office as long as he could where any previous British prime minister would've long since folded and realised that the game was up.

As well as Partygate there was the Owen Patterson affair and the attempt to change the parliamentary rules and finally the scandal of appointing Chris Pincher as Chief Whip after Johnson knew of the allegations of sexual misconduct against him. This was the straw that broke the camel's back. This in turn led to the mass resignations of members of Johnson's Cabinet from the most senior level to junior ministers.

I don't think I was really comparing what the Finnish prime minister did to what Johnson did or making any judgement on it. I merely said such stories of politicians partying at a sensitive time politically and economically were currently in vogue after what has happened in the UK. Politicians in high office need to be mindful of the fact that people have smartphones in their pockets and can easily take pictures or footage and leak it online or to the media for money. So there is a responsibility incumbent on our leaders to act responsibly and to realise that what happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas. Incidentally, I see that the Finnish PM has had to apologise again for topless pictures of two women at the party she attended which were leaked onto social media. There's that snowball rolling again. I personally see no benefit to politicians being on social media like Twitter, Instagram or TikTok. Yes, i suppose it means that they're "down with the youth" but they more often than not get themselves into trouble eventually there. The UK Parliament has even closed down its short-lived TikTok account, due to fears over Chinese espionage.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent

Doesn't matter who you are, you've got to maintain your brand.

So I was going to buy this Remington Retro shaver.

It just seemed kind of cool but - oh dear - some of the reviews really do put you off. Makes it sound like buying a Suffolk Punch lawnmower for that old time mowing feel only to realise - like a car without power steering - it's just easier these days. I mean, an Aston Martin DB5 would not be as easy to drive as any basic car these days, nor as safe.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017