Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Poor Number24, he miss it now. :D

I think it's moving to SKY ! ;) to help pay for that big Football deal. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    I went (litteraly, I walked or took the train) all winter before I bothered to buy a new car when the old one stoppe working, so I can live without Top Gear too :D
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Poor old Fith Gear gets forgotten :# :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    :)) Yes, I heard that too ! About Sark TG. :D

The three lads contracts are up, so I'm only guessing but I do think they'll be off to
    Another network. Although I was thinking, about the poor producer. He'll now be known
    ( if Top Gear goes) as the guy who killed off one of the BBC's biggest money making
    Shows ! That can't look good on your CV ? :#

Although I enjoyed Fifth Gear, it didn't have the big personalities of TG.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Dave Cameron will not stand for a third term if elected ?
    Boris Johnson, ..................... Come on Down !! :))
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff
    stag wrote:
    Doesn't the BBC own the title 'Top Gear'? If so I couldn't see them allowing its use by sky unless they carve out a particularily health percentage for themselves.

Also with regard to Top Gear earnings, surely a large amount comes via licensing of said name/format to other countries who then produce their own versions of the show. Clarksongate would be irrelevant for that particular income stream.

I've heard the Top Gear show made by Sark TV is rather good!

Clarkson sold the rights to Top Gear to the BBC for a large profit ! He writes it and comes up with most of the 'challenges'...if he is sacked then he will sue for loss of earnings (as will May & Hammond) , they will get paid out and then have tv companies fighting over them to make a similar program elsewhere - the BBC will lose out...
    YNWA 97
    American Politics ?
    Only caught the end of the news, about the first guy to throw his hat into the ring
    For the next President, I think he's a Republican. The news said he was Born in
    Canada, but has renounced his citizenship ?
    Now I thought to be President you had to be Born in America ? Hence all the fuss
    The Republicans tried to stir up about Obama ?

Cruz is politically slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun, so Fox News will love him :#
    He wants to remove all of Obama's health reform.
    I guess they won't be looking for HIS birth certificate. :))
    If Borris Johnson becomes Prime Minister, God help us all :D
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    :)) He's the man to stand up to Putin ! ;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Cruz is politically slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun,

:)) :)) :))
    You've got that right.

I find it pretty scary and it speaks volumes about a country when such a character is considered to be on of the leaders.

Frightening......
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff
    stag wrote:
    If he is sacked for gross misconduct he will have to convince an employment tribunal that he was unfairly dismissed. Assault? He's on for nothing. Also didn't someone mention their contracts were up. Woss didn't/couldn't sue when he got sacked & clarkson won't be any different.

They will have to prove gross misconduct - good luck with that ! The only witnesses are May & Hammond :))
    Their contracts aren't up just yet...they have all the Top Gear Live events yet - that will cost the BBC a fortune to scrap !
    Ross couldn't sue as he was caught 'bang to rights' on radio - no recorded evidence of Clarkson...so I think Clarkson's case is totally different...be interesting to see how much money he gets out of this...

The guy he's supposed to have hit just wants his job back apparently - something Clarkson is happy to do...but if Clarkson is sacked then this guy is out of a job ! Bizarre !
    YNWA 97
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    American Politics ?
    Only caught the end of the news, about the first guy to throw his hat into the ring
    For the next President, I think he's a Republican. The news said he was Born in
    Canada, but has renounced his citizenship ?
    Now I thought to be President you had to be Born in America ? Hence all the fuss
    The Republicans tried to stir up about Obama ?

If ever you want to see someone twitch, remind Cruz that he is/was Canadian! He was indeed born in Calgary to an American mother and a Cuban father who were working there in the oil industry. As his mother was American - and I believe his father was a US resident at the time, although not a US citizen - Cruz was born as a dual American and Canadian citizen. When Ted was four years old, the family moved to the US. When Cruz recently became interested in running for president, he renounced his Canadian citizenship.

The US law about presidents being American is vague. The exact wording is "natural-born-citizen." It doesn't specifically say you have to be born in the US, just that you have to have been born a US citizen, which Cruz was, although as that's one interpretation of the law, Cruz's eligibility could certainly be challenged in court.
    I was wondering, given the hard time many Republicans gave Obama over it. :#
    I wondered the same thing, TP. Had Obama actually been born in Kenya as the 'birthers' allege, under this definition of the 'natural-born-citizen' rule, I would have thought that as he unarguably had an American mother, he would have been entitled to US citizenship at birth any way, as Ted Cruz was. I'm not sure what the difference would have been between the two cases. Canada permits dual citizenship so Cruz got both. Perhaps Kenya didn't allow dual citizenship at the time and therefore if Obama had been born in Kenya he would have only been born a Kenyan citizen (which was a British colony at the time)? I really don't know what the difference is between the two.

Of course, Obama and Cruz aren't the first to experience this. Former Republican presidential candidate John McCain was born in Panama and there were Democrats who challenged his right to be president. He claimed he was born on a US military base and therefore he was born on US soil, but as the son of two Americans, surely he was a "natural-born-citizen" regardless of whether he was actually born in a US military hospital in Panama or a civilian hospital in Panama?

I don't really see the difference between Obama, McCain and Cruz although the eligibility of all three to be president has been challenged by political opponents from both the Democrat and Republican parties. Maybe it's time the Supreme Court ruled on this once and for all.

On the bright side, whatever the conclusion is, at least Arnold Schwarzenegger will never be allowed to be US president!
    Aw!!! I'd love Arnie for Prez, He'd stand up to Putin ! ;)

Very interesting facts TDE, I would asume if your Parents are American then so are you, no matter where you
    where born.
    I always find it contradictory that the U.S. takes great pride in a history of opening its doors to immigrants from all over the world and proclaiming itself to be a giant melting pot, boasts that only in the US anyone can be born poor and attain wealth and power, yet immigrants aren't allowed to attain the highest office in the country. I know that rule was created for security reasons and I understand that, but it does strike me as being contradictory that someone born overseas to foreign parents who emigrate to the US when the child is 2 or 3 years old can't become president.

Canada has had three PMs who were immigrants born outside Canada including one in the 1980s; Australia's had 5 or 6 including 2 recent ones; New Zealand's had 5 or 6 including one acting PM in the 1970s. There are plenty of precedents in other English-speaking democracies that have opened their doors to immigration, but not the U.S.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    It is my understanding that even if both you're parents aren't U.S. Citizens, if you're born on U.S. soil or in an American Embassy or American Military Base that you are automatically a U.S. Citizen.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    I'm reading a Jack Reacher book right now. It says Reacher was born in West Berlin, but because his father was American and the birth happened on an US military base he was automatically an US Citizen.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    The Daily Mail (amongst others) are reporting that Jeremy Clarkson is "to be sacked TODAY" after a BBC investigation. Clarkson reportedly launched a 30 second physical attack on Oisin Tymon. Clarkson himself tweeted earlier today: "Just to keep everyone up to date, I haven't heard a thing."

Jeremy Clarkson 'to be sacked TODAY'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3010167/Top-Gear-presenter-Jeremy-Clarkson-sacked-BBC-internal-investigation-concludes-did-attack-producer-steak-dinner-fracas.html
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    I'll have to watch a couple of episodes of Top Gear on Dave, before I'll be
    Strong enough to take the news later on. :# :D
    I wonder if he will be replaced?
    I'm sure the BBC will try and replace him but I would be very surprised if the other
    Two stayed on, and to be honest Top Gear wasn't a car review show. It was an
    entertainment programme, I watched it for Clarkson :D some of his quotes are
    Outrageous, but so funny. :)) .
    Can't see this hurting Clarkson or the team, as I said in an earlier post. Sky will
    Have a new motoring/entertainment show soon, hosted by the old team. ;) as
    For the poor producer who made the complaint. I doubt he expected all this to follow
    and may affect his career as on his cv, it will now state he finished off Top Gear ! Would
    You risk having him working on one of your top shows,in case he has another " argument"
    With your star ? :#
    It will be interesting to see the new SKY Show though.
    Clarkson also had a talk show long ago which was very good, Even Russell Crowe said
    This morning on telly that traveling around the world, sometimes Top Gear is the only
    English language programme on. :)) so it is a work wide hit.
    If it does end up on Sky ( or where ever ) I'll be watching, I'm sure they would have had a
    Few ideas to update and refresh the show.
    I agree -{
    edited March 2015
    That's it Clarkson is Gone :#
    " For God’s sake let us sit upon the ground
    And tell sad stories of the death of kings "
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Much as I like Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear. If what is reported is true regarding the verbal and physical nature of Clarkson's assault on Oisin Tymon, then the BBC have made the right decision. As for Top Gear. Well, the Bond films survived without Sean Connery, so why not Top Gear without Clarkson (and probably also James May and Richard Hammond)? Stranger things have happened.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    in many ways, it's all a sad mess that could have been delt with far better. Nobody wins. On the doorstep
    James May was asked about Top Gear etc, and said they'd all have to think about it as, all three made the
    team.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I love Clarkson but I can see the BBC really had no choice.

In any other work place scenario, if someone is punched by a collegue you would expect dismissal.

Clarkson has sailed very close to the wind recently and this really was the end of the line. Its also a shame because I also enjoy Hammond and particularly James May.

Apart from the programme, there are also the live shows, magazine, merchandise that always appears at Christmas and Fathers Day, the DVD's .... this is a massive decision for the BBC.

I'm curious as to why they have said 'his contract has not been renewed' as opposed to sacked.

Perhaps this may leave the door open for a Clarkson return in the future.

Clarkson meanwhile needs to go away and sort himself out. Finalise his divorce, get his hips fixed and cut down on the booze and fags.