Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I truly despair...

Guns are (mostly) banned over here in the UK - but it doesn't stop the determined criminal...again we are seeing the rise of 'Gunchester'...many gunshot related deaths in Manchester once more...

And what are the gun laws in Manchester? I should think they're quite strident.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,677Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I truly despair...

Guns are (mostly) banned over here in the UK - but it doesn't stop the determined criminal...again we are seeing the rise of 'Gunchester'...many gunshot related deaths in Manchester once more...

And what are the gun laws in Manchester? I should think they're quite strident.

Not really...quite easy to get one if you know who to talk to...but still illegal...not as easy as the US though - where you can get one with your breakfast cereal...
    YNWA 97
    edited October 2015
    Sounds like Texas ;)

It's really more about the quality of the people who have them, ultimately, and that genie is out of the bottle---world wide.
    Sounds like Texas ;)

It's really more about the quality of the people who have them, ultimately, that that genie is out of the bottle---world wide.

Which is sadly true...Americans just aren't going to give up their right to bear arms...so the kiddie coffin business is going to be strong for many years to come :#
    YNWA 97
    Let's not forget the rest of the world---where guns are employed, with zeal, without the blessings of the United States' Constitution ;)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,838MI6 Agent
    edited October 2015
    You are wrong about laws and guns, Loeffelholz. Restricting the access to guns as a clear effect on the murder rate in a country, especially massacres. Norway has had no school massacres, Sweden one, Denmark none. Finland had one of the most liberal gun laws in Europe and suffered two. They restricted the gun laws severely, and has suffered no massacres since. the same happened in Australia. The US is the only developed country in the world where several school massacres happen every year.

Watch this "Late show" episode on Australia and gun laws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVuspKSjfgA

I also believe the assumption that owning so may guns somehow makes you more free. Do you really believe the US is a more democratic country than Western Europe, Japan, New Zealand, Australia and Canada? The UK, Australia and Finland has pretty much outlawed guns on civilian hands (I think that's an overreaction, but there you go), but you can't seriously believe those countries are totalitarian.....

Here is a democracy index I found. I should think there are more such indexes and most show the same:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    To be honest I think it's putting an awful lot of responsibly on Loeffelholz
    shoulders, having him try and speak for America. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited October 2015
    I think Loeffelholz is solely responsible for everything the US has done wrong, including fattening fastfood, rap music and George W. Bush :))

Seriously, I'm just debating the issue. I'm responding to his views that he has made on this thread.
    I do agree he is responsible for everthing ;)

I was just curious to the mind set of Americans who have been brought up
    for generations with the gun being a plain old fact of life like death and taxes.
    Compared to our European attitude of keeping them for hunting etc. I wasn't
    Getting into any " Right or wrong " debate. :) as you can't learn much from TV as
    They always go for the obvious " Gun Nut" to interview. Which in my opinion doesn't
    Give a balanced picture. While Loeffelholz seems quite well balanced .......... For an
    American {:) :p ( only joking) ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    While Loeffelholz is responsible for a lot, I don't think he is responsible for everything. I don't think he is responsible for American inventions such as rock music, westerns or cheerleaders. Let's reasonable :D

While he often seems rational, he voices some opinions that I think don't hold up. Gun Laws are not a slippery slope that leads to dictatorships. Gun control does work. He makes fun of gun laws because killing people is already illegal. It is, but with easy Access to guns, murders happen far more often. Every statistic shows this. Criminals don't follow gun Laws, but guns are much easier to come by in a society that overflows with weapons. In much of Europe only the most violent and hard-core criminals carry guns, and burglars and and most other types of criminals very seldom do.
    A lot of my " Gentleman's interest" DVDs have Cheerleaders and
    rock music. ;)

I can understand if as a community you feel threatened, they having a gun
    would be sensible ( I'd get one myself) I can never see America Banning
    gun ownership, but I can see some sort of "Control" being introduced.
    It would be really interesting to hear some opinions from ordinary gun
    Owners, rather than the local nut job, most TV presenters go for. :)
    Let's not forget the rest of the world---where guns are employed, with zeal, without the blessings of the United States' Constitution ;)

Again, true....I wonder where they buy them all from ? ;)

It's a sad state of affairs when the people of the US have to take up arms to 'protect' themselves...do they not trust the Police force or US Army to deal with this ? Obviously not !

Btw, all my comments on this are not directed towards Loeff himself.
    YNWA 97
    I have a deep and personal hatred for Loeffelholz and all my all my comments are aimed directly at him :v
    As one of your own country women would sing " Let it Go, Let it go ..... "
    Sing along everybody ! :))
    No. Bickering and quarreling over the internet is a common and valid social relationship. And honestly I would like to hear him reply to my more serious (and perhaps the less serious too) points I've made since he posted last. And remember that "Reindeers are better than people", or at least conservative Americans :D
    Yes, I keep forgetting you guys eat " Rudolf " ;)
    and I was very disappointed at that " Lapp" dancing
    club, it was all Folk dancing. After showing my discontent
    They told me to folk Off ! :))
    I remember reindeers wandering into our firing range when I was in the army. We we ordered to stop firing, in spite of our "requests" to just shoot them and let the Kitchen staff destroy the meat :))
    You obviously didn't know that when attacked Reindeer take to the air,
    and rain large amounts of Poo over their enemies. :))
    Wow! You know all this, like, smart science stuff. :)
    It's one of my many talents. ;) Fighter, lover, adventurer, man of mystery ;)
    edited October 2015
    Number24 wrote:
    I have a deep and personal hatred for Loeffelholz and all my all my comments are aimed directly at him :v

Well, that's fair.

I'm not suggesting that countries with gun laws that please you are totalitarian---only that it would take a totalitarian movement to attempt total gun confiscation here. Our gun crimes are exponentially worse in places like Chicago, where guns are illegal...and thus criminals wield them without compunction.

We will never agree on this. I've become convinced that a Euro-centric point of view prevents many from even a basic understanding of our culture. And that's all I'm going to say. So you can congratulate yourself on winning an argument and rest easy in your superiority. And then run along and pass more laws, because that's the answer.

And I'll get back to creating things that make your hatred flourish {[]
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,632MI6 Agent
    "...and in the latest poll, 5.5 out of 10 AJBers said that in a head-to-head race they would vote for Loeffelholz over Donald Trump for U.S. president..."
    I never thought there'd be anyone to make George W Bush look like
    an intellectual giant ! ......... Then came Donald Trump :))
    No, even Danald fails :))
    Number24 wrote:

Well, that's fair.

I'm not suggesting that countries with gun laws that please you are totalitarian---only that it would take a totalitarian movement to attempt total gun confiscation here. Our gun crimes are exponentially worse in places like Chicago, where guns are illegal...and thus criminals wield them without compunction.

We will never agree on this. I've become convinced that a Euro-centric point of view prevents many from even a basic understanding of our culture. And that's all I'm going to say. So you can congratulate yourself on winning an argument and rest easy in your superiority. And then run along and pass more laws, because that's the answer.

And I'll get back to creating things that make your hatred flourish {[]

First of all - I hope you understand that pretty much all the comments I made about you to TP were jokes. I also would like to ad that I served in the military and I have been a member of pistol clubs on and off and enjoy shooting guns. I don't think a complete ban on handguns is a good solution - at least not for Norway and certainly not for the US. I do think more restrictive gun laws in the US would be sensible.

About totalitarianism you did write: "The only answer is a Totalitarian one: government confiscation, and that will certainly make a lot of headlines, worldwide, if it is ever seriously attempted, and obvious unfortunate historical parallels can be drawn about what happens afterward."

I understood this to be a general statement and not just about the US. I might have misinterpreted you, but I feel it's a fair reading of what you wrote. Especially what you wrote about "what happens afterwards" seems general and not exclusive to the US. Finland, the UK and Australia has laws that may not be complete bans on owning handguns, but it's not far from it. I'd say none of those countries are totalitarian and they are in no foreseeable danger of becoming totalitarian.

I would like it if you replied to my points that I made about gun legislation and not the jokes that I wrote to TP. Hopefully it would be gainful and interesting for both of us.
    They were Jokes Number 24 ? :o
    oh !....... Please forgive me Loeffelholz, for all those threatening and offensive PMs !
    I was under the influence of a sun deprived Norwegian ! he ... er ... Made me do it ! ;)
    If anyone read my comments about Loeffelholz personally and not his views as serious and not in jest, Im sorry about that. I really believed the ridiculousness of the comments and the use of the :v symbol made it clear I was joking.
    Number24 wrote:
    If anyone read my comments about Loeffelholz personally and not his views as serious and not in jest, Im sorry about that. I really believed the ridiculousness of the comments and the use of the :v symbol made it clear I was joking.

Yea...I understood it was just that from yourself -{
    YNWA 97
    edited October 2015
    No offence taken; when I posted "That's fair," deadpan style, I was attempting to match the obvious absurdity of 24's statement, which I actually found humorous. I can take a joke as well as anyone---honest! ;)

It's just that I find the larger subject of our discussion so dreary that I just won't engage it anymore, as minds won't be changed, and it's perhaps best that I just ignore such situations -{

Cheers ;)
    Damn! He out deadpanned me - and Loeffelholz isn't even British :))