So, besides 007, what do you play?

Comments

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I NEED Gears. I was thinking it may be overhyped, but after the great reviews...
  • xman25xman25 Houston, TexasPosts: 80MI6 Agent
    What difficulty level are you playing on?

The 'normal' difficulty level.

xman25
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    I NEED Gears. I was thinking it may be overhyped, but after the great reviews...

Gears definitely raises the bar in terms graphics and shows what the 360 is really capable of; all of a sudden the PS3 doesn't look that imposing anymore.

I am a little concerned that the gameplay may get stale if it remains 100% run, cover and fire; hopefully there's some variety in there. One of the great things about Halo was its variety: on foot combat, Warthogs, Wraiths, etc. From what little I played Gears seems to focus mainly on relatively close quarters combat (albeit with some very smart squadmates); we'll have to see how that holds up over the long haul.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Finding cover is absolutely vital to staying alive; if you stand out in the open you're dead in seconds.

:o Am I excited about this already... {[]
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Pretty sure there are vehicles in Gears... I think...

I hate not being able to go out and buy this with it being rated M. Have to do it online, and that means asking the parents... yuck. :))
    I hate not being able to go out and buy this with it being rated M. Have to do it online, and that means asking the parents... yuck. :))

I have a fake mustasche that you can use to look older... ok, you might look like Rollie Fingers when you put it on...but it's blond. :D

edited November 2006

You may well be right; I really didn't pay too much attention to this game while it was in development and now that I have it, I don't want to know too much so that it will stay fresh. I went into MUA the same way and have been having a ball.

Don't know if this will make a difference but based on the first level, I think the M rating is more about the violence than the profanity. There is the occasional utterance of four letter words, but so far it's been quite reserved and nothing like GTA or any of its clones.
    So the actual gameplay is as vivid as the commercial? The cutscenes too?

edited November 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    So the actual gameplay is as vivid as the commercial? The cutscenes too?

The cutscenes look just like the commercial; the actual gameplay looks just about the same as well. I think they all use the same engine.
    TonyDP wrote:

You may well be right; I really didn't pay too much attention to this game while it was in development and now that I have it, I don't want to know too much so that it will stay fresh. I went into MUA the same way and have been having a ball.

Don't know if this will make a difference but based on the first level, I think the M rating is more about the violence than the profanity. There is the occasional utterance of four letter words, but so far it's been quite reserved and nothing like GTA or any of its clones.

Oh, it isn't that my parents won't let me get it, it is just that Gamestop won't sell it to me without someone over 18 with me.

Besides, RA knows that profanity doesn't bother me. :))
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Dang 360 just keeps looking better...it would be a shoe-in to buy, but only if Mercs 2 came out for it...that one game decides for me...why??? Well on Page 51 of this months EGM, it is stated that MGS4 may come to the 360 as Hideo Kojima is being "forced" into making a version of it...well guys, looks like you win again...and I may have to pwn some of you guys if Mercs 2 is announced for the 360 and I get one.

Also, what did you guys think of Perfect Dark: Zero if you played it??? I had heard great reviews until today...
    0064 wrote:
    Dang 360 just keeps looking better...it would be a shoe-in to buy, but only if Mercs 2 came out for it...that one game decides for me...why??? Well on Page 51 of this months EGM, it is stated that MGS4 may come to the 360 as Hideo Kojima is being "forced" into making a version of it...well guys, looks like you win again...and I may have to pwn some of you guys if Mercs 2 is announced for the 360 and I get one.

There still hasn't been any announcement for Mercs 2 on Xbox 360, at least none that I'm aware of. Still, I'm betting that it will be released for all major consoles, unless Sony seriously greases some palms.

As for MGS4, PS3 can have it for all I care. I played the first couple of games but they lost me after MGS2, one of the most incoherent, boring, inane, and downright stupid pieces of dung pressed into a DVD I've ever had the misfortune of spending money on.
    Also, what did you guys think of Perfect Dark: Zero if you played it??? I had heard great reviews until today...

I didn't care for the single player campaign at all. The graphics were great but the voiceovers and dialog were beyond cheese and often times the objectives for each level were very difficult to make out, reducing much of the game to trial and error. I'd heard that multiplayer was a lot of fun but I never tried it myself.
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Well, it gives me a little more incentive to buy the 360 and spend the $100 on games at a bargain like GRAW PD:Z and others, but I really like GoW.

As for mercs, I know...im just saying thats the deciding factor between me getitng a 360 and a PS3. But if I do get a 360, I will not get Halo, I cant stand it.
    edited November 2006
    0064 wrote:
    But if I do get a 360, I will not get Halo, I cant stand it.

I never cared for Halo's multiplayer, especially online with Halo2. It felt like every game I was in was spoiled by somebody who took the whole thing way too seriously and absolutely had to trash talk everybody else in the session. I guess that's the price you pay when a game becomes really popular and crosses over into the mainstream. The mute function quickly became my favorite feature.

But I did enjoy the single player campaigns, especially for the first Halo. That one had a really good story behind it, really diverse levels and lots of innovative elements to the gameplay. Just my opinion of course.
  • xman25xman25 Houston, TexasPosts: 80MI6 Agent
    0064 wrote:
    The game is OK, not near as good as the first one that came out on the N64 back in 2000. The single player is good for one play through. I usually like to play through a game more that once, but I'm having a hard time getting myself to keep playing it for the second time.

xman25
    Halo 1 was fantastic, Halo 2 is not. That goes for both multi and single player. Halo 2 always had some annoying five year old ruining the game online, and the single player was boring. Halo 1 had no online, and it was incredible to play CTF with your friends, and the single player is incredibly fun, if repetitive.
  • evilhenchmanevilhenchman U.S.Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    Max Payne is one of the best games ever!
    edited January 2007
    I finally broke down and picked up Justice League Heros for the Xbox today (I had a $20 store credit so the game only cost me $20).

The graphics and gameplay are very similar to the X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. The visuals are nice, and if you have a hi-def TV the game supports widescreen and hi-def resolutions. There is also quite a bit of RPG style leveling up. The action is a bit repetitive (just about every enemy in the first level is a robot).

Still, as a DC Comics fan, I'm glad I bought it and will be keeping it and playing it through. Now if only Microsoft would make it BC with the 360, the bump in resolution would improve the visuals even more.
    Just bought Indigo Prophecy and Shenmue II on eBay, should be getting them soon. Shenmue II always interested me when I read about it, and I never purchased it, and I thought it was time, now that it is backwards compatible on the 360. Indigo Prophecy had a wonderful demo, showcasing a really interactive world and gameplay style, on OXM and got stellar reviews, but I never got around to purchasing it before. It is now also backwards compatible.
    Just bought Indigo Prophecy and Shenmue II on eBay, should be getting them soon. Shenmue II always interested me when I read about it, and I never purchased it, and I thought it was time, now that it is backwards compatible on the 360. Indigo Prophecy had a wonderful demo, showcasing a really interactive world and gameplay style, on OXM and got stellar reviews, but I never got around to purchasing it before. It is now also backwards compatible.

Just as an FYI, a friend who works at EBGames told me that they and Gamestop will be massively discounting many of their original Xbox titles starting late next week. I guess they want to start phasing out the software and this is their first big push.

Circuit City has also marked down a ton of original Xbox games. I picked up Half Life 2 ($9) and Moto GP 3 ($10) today.
    I thought of getting Half Life 2, but it will be coming out for 360. Or has it already? I have no idea.
    edited January 2007
    I thought of getting Half Life 2, but it will be coming out for 360. Or has it already? I have no idea.

Hasn't come out yet. The version in development for the 360 is supposed to include HL2, Episode 1, Episode 2 and Team Fortress. The last preview was back in late September and there's been no news since. For 9 bucks, I thought I'd take a shot, if only to see how it looks thru BC.

I also put in a few hours into Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Wii. This is the first Zelda game I've ever played and I'm definitely a noob who's learning his way. The story is very good as is the art style and music. The world is quite expansive and there will be lots to do before this adventure is over.

The graphics however are very coarse compared to other consoles (jaggies and muddy textures everwhere) and the music is sampled MIDI, not a true orchestral soundtrack. There is also no spoken dialog in the game, everything is flat text that must be read. The Wiimote control scheme is more of a hindrance than a benefit. The joystick on the nunchuck makes precise movements difficult at times and using the Wiimote to slash the sword, fire the slingshot, etc. feels tacked on rather than a natural fluid part of the gameplay (as it does with the Wii Sports games).

Overall I can see the appeal of these Zelda games; they're well designed and very original and creative but technically, graphically and sonically speaking LOZ:TP clearly shows the limits of the Wii hardware when compared to the other next-gen consoles.
    My friend should be getting a Wii soon, I'll tell you whether I like it or not. The only thing I'm truly, truly excited for is Tennis. It looks AWESOME.
    edited January 2007
    My friend should be getting a Wii soon, I'll tell you whether I like it or not. The only thing I'm truly, truly excited for is Tennis. It looks AWESOME.

I'll be very curious to hear what you think. The golf and baseball games in Wii Sports are lots of fun too. Both are simple to control but feel so much better on the Wii as opposed to other consoles since you actually mimic the sports' physical moves. That's the Wii's saving grace, IMHO. The gameplay compensates for the bland visuals.
    Well, provided he doesn't get scammed (he bought off eBay) you'll know soon.
    edited January 2007
    I took advantage of the bad weather to stay indoors and put in some quality time with Justice League Heros for the Xbox. The game is quite a bit of fun and trying out all the powers of JLA is a treat (especially with Superman and Green Lantern). The action does get repetitive but the locales you fight in and the boss battles are very well done. I'll hopefully finish this one up later this week.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    My youngest son, Sean, wants to know what game has the most soldiers on the battlefield. He is currently playing Call of Duty 2.

He saw a game called World in Conflict for the PC, that he thought looked good.
    edited January 2007
    Call of Duty 2 is already a great game on its own. Let me suggest playing it on its hardest difficulty: Veteran. It is frustratingly difficult, but it is so much fun and oh so rewarding.
    My youngest son, Sean, wants to know what game has the most soldiers on the battlefield. He is currently playing Call of Duty 2.

He saw a game called World in Conflict for the PC, that he thought looked good.

I don't do PC gaming but as far as consoles go, and answering that question from a purely technical standpoint, Kameo: Elements of Power for the Xbox 360 (which I believe you said you received as a gift) has a few levels where there are literally hundreds of characters fighting on screen in real time, each doing their own thing. You can move your character right into the midst of the fray (on foot or on a horse no less) or wisely go around the perimeter of the chaos and avoid most of the combat. That was one of the most impressive things I ever saw from a purely technical standpoint as it really demonstrated the raw processing power of the Xbox 360.
    That was a great screenshot. I never bought the game because I played a demo and thought the gameplay was lackluster and the control scheme overly crowded, but that screenshot looked awesome.