So, besides 007, what do you play?

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I got my new issue of GAME INFORMER in the mail yesterday and the early insight on SUPERMAN RETURNS does not look good.

An EA game based on a movie licensce that isn't any good? Wow, like that's never happened before. That's what happens when you blow half your budget to get the actors from the movie to do unnecessary voiceovers.
    However the mag said that the new JL game will feature unlockables such as Aquaman. YES!!!! I've always liked the character and thanks to shows like ENTOURAGE, he may be finally getting his due.

Interesting. This is one character that I've never really cared for at all. It doesn't help that his animated incarnation in the JLA/JLU shows is a pompous arrogant ass.
    I see they're going to use the John Stewart Green Lantern; I like him alot due to Neal Adams introducing him in the comics of the 70s but I can't understand why no one's showing the love for Hal Jordan in these ventures...

I just lost nearly all my interest in this one. Honestly, Hal has been the pre-eminent GL for 40 years and last time I checked he was the #1 GL in the books again. When is somebody going to make him a playable character in one of these games? I was never a big John Stewart fan; I'd rather have anybody else: Kilowog, Tomar Re, even Ch'p or Gnort.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I got my new issue of GAME INFORMER in the mail yesterday and the early insight on SUPERMAN RETURNS does not look good.

An EA game based on a movie licensce that isn't any good? Wow, like that's never happened before. That's what happens when you blow half your budget to get the actors from the movie to do unnecessary voiceovers.
    However the mag said that the new JL game will feature unlockables such as Aquaman. YES!!!! I've always liked the character and thanks to shows like ENTOURAGE, he may be finally getting his due.

Interesting. This is one character that I've never really cared for at all. It doesn't help that his animated incarnation in the JLA/JLU shows is a pompous arrogant ass.
    I see they're going to use the John Stewart Green Lantern; I like him alot due to Neal Adams introducing him in the comics of the 70s but I can't understand why no one's showing the love for Hal Jordan in these ventures...

I just lost nearly all my interest in this one. Honestly, Hal has been the pre-eminent GL for 40 years and last time I checked he was the #1 GL in the books again. When is somebody going to make him a playable character in one of these games? I was never a big John Stewart fan; I'd rather have anybody else: Kilowog, Tomar Re, even Ch'p or Gnort.

IMO, any of the GLs are acceptable to me with the exception of Guy Gardner, who I think is just a joke. The Moe haircut doesn't help either. I have an old book where Jordan beats the crap out of him and I remember writing the editor at the time saying that the @$$-whipping wasn't thorough enough. :))

I mean that alien piece of celery in the GL costume is more pleasing. But Stewart is solid...come to think of it...I remember I stopped buying GL right after the Crisis deal because I refused to accept Rayner and the new guy. I thought making Jordan the bad guy was a mistake at the time.

Tony, why don't you at least admire Aquaman? I mean he was practically useless on the Superfriends cartoon usually riding shotgun with Wonder Woman on missions...JLU brought some prominence back to him as a true King Of The Seas. The arrogance is clearly warranted for him to command the respect he's missed for decades in comics and other animated appearances. And the hook just made him look even more of a bad@$$.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    edited August 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    IMO, any of the GLs are acceptable to me with the exception of Guy Gardner, who I think is just a joke. The Moe haircut doesn't help either. I have an old book where Jordan beats the crap out of him and I remember writing the editor at the time saying that the @$$-whipping wasn't thorough enough. :))

I mean that alien piece of celery in the GL costume is more pleasing. But Stewart is solid...come to think of it...I remember I stopped buying GL right after the Crisis deal because I refused to accept Rayner and the new guy. I thought making Jordan the bad guy was a mistake at the time.

I didn't mind Guy Gardner when he was used as comic relief. As Hal once said to him: "You're a brain damaged thug, but by God, you're OUR brain damaged thug". In a supporting role he was OK but as the lead, I agree he was way out of his depth.

I have the issue you're talking about. There was also a famous JLA book where Batman knocks him out with one punch. Guy was a joke most of the time; I think even the writers of his books knew that.

As an aside, I think Daniel Craig would make a great Guy Gardner; all he needs is the sugar-bowl haircut.

John Stewart just left me cold. I think part of the problem was DC often didn't know what to do with him. First he was a GL, then a DarkStar, then a Guardian, and on and on and on. He's much better since they brought Hal and the guardians back but I didn't like him at all until recently.

The animated Stewart is even worse, a one-dimensional marine flunky who always shoots first and asks questions later. It is me, or is he always the first guy to get knocked out in a fight?

Kyle Rayner was DC's attempt at creating another Peter Parker, complete with lousy job and relationship problems. He started off badly and I lost track of the number of times the writers had to have him say "I'm the one Green Lantern". Suuurre you are Kyle.
    Tony, why don't you at least admire Aquaman? I mean he was practically useless on the Superfriends cartoon usually riding shotgun with Wonder Woman on missions...JLU brought some prominence back to him as a true King Of The Seas. The arrogance is clearly warranted for him to command the respect he's missed for decades in comics and other animated appearances. And the hook just made him look even more of a bad@$$.

I guess his powers just never resonated with me. Given his powers, he only works within very specific situations; take him out of his element and he is very much a fish out of water (no pun intended). As you say, he was the most useless Superfriend; and he also had one of the lamest costumes ever. I just didn't see how he could contribute to any situation. As for the JLA/JLU shows, his arrogance may have been warranted but it also made him very annoying to me. You'll notice that the only way the writers could make him and the Atlantians matches for the JLA was by giving them superior technology. Given his sporadic appearances since the first series, I think it's fair to say that even the writers weren't really sure what to do with him.
    edited August 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    The animated Stewart is even worse, a one-dimensional marine flunky who always shoots first and asks questions later. It is me, or is he always the first guy to get knocked out in a fight?

Coincidentely by Aquaman in one episode. :))

I felt he deserved that punch though.

• Hunter HarryHunter Harry Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    I've started GTA: Vice City again, my favourite game of all time.
    edited September 2006
    I've started GTA: Vice City again, my favourite game of all time.

I traded in VC:3 because it just didn't hold my interest like Vice does now. You literally have no pulse if you don't enjoy this title... that is if you like this style of genre... ;)

Tony & Night, I really hope that you're getting Tiger '07 next month; could make for some interesting games between us. ;)

And thanks for calling me last night, Night...My luck seemed to change right after I hung up with you. I made such a comeback in Skins Mode that whoever I was playing against literally disconnected out of disgust. {[]

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Anytime, buddy. Too bad my luck isn't changing.

I may get it if they improve the graphics... wait- are you going to be getting it for the 360?
  • xman25xman25 Houston, TexasPosts: 80MI6 Agent
    I'm playing through 'The Godfather' on the XBOX 360. I got it this past Tuesday. I've played about five hours of it and I'm really enjoying the game. It's better than I thought it would be.
    edited September 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Tony & Night, I really hope that you're getting Tiger '07 next month; could make for some interesting games between us. ;)

Hey Rogue, if you get the 360 version I'll pick it up as well. I haven't play a nice relaxing game of golf in years.
    xman25 wrote:
    I'm playing through 'The Godfather' on the XBOX 360. I got it this past Tuesday. I've played about five hours of it and I'm really enjoying the game. It's better than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the info. The reviews have been pretty good and I just may pick this one up as well.
  • RogermooreseyebrowsRogermooreseyebrows Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    At the moment, i've got back into the 'old school' retro Nintendo.

The original Mario bros on the Nes and other classics.... oh the memories... what has happened to the gaming world? :s
  • GoldeneyeRA1GoldeneyeRA1 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    NFS: Most wanted, the original DooM for the PC, Duke Nukem 3d, Hellbender (Space based game from Microsoft, really kicks) and B-17 Gunner: Air War over Germany. I go old skool, except for NFS.
    I got Alias today for the XBOX. It's based on the TV show of the same name. I paid $6 for it. I'm in the first level. I'll give a little review after I'm done with it. After Alias I'm going to see if I can find a copy of Dark Angel.

xman25
    edited September 2006
    I've been playing Lego Star Wars (the original game based on Episodes 1, 2 and 3). I bought this a few months ago but never got around to playing it. It's a bit on the easy side but still tons of fun. Great gameplay, humor, and very creative use of the Lego blocks to basically build the Star Wars universe and characters. Once I finish this, I'll be picking up the sequel, Lego Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes 4, 5 and 6).

I've also been logging some hours in Burnout 3: The Takedown. Blazingly fast racing game with great graphics and many innovative game modes. Very addictive once you get into it.

I have the Xbox versions of both games and since they are backwardly compatible with the Xbox 360, you get the added bonus that they run in hi-def mode at enhanced resolutions and with clearer textures.
    I TOLD you Lego Star Wars is great. When you get II, make sure to play until you unlock the Lego City level. Not only is it worth 50 gamerscore points if you beat it, but it is so cooooooooool! It is like Star Wars in the real world... but Lego.
    I picked up Doom for the 360's Xbox Live Arcade. The game is an exact port of the 1993 original; as such, the graphics look very coarse and dated by todays standards. But the gameplay is just as fast, fluid, and fun as it ever was. The Doom games always managed to keep things simple (keep moving, find the exit and shoot at everything that moves along the way) and the controls take about 30 seconds to learn. Overall, a fun fun game that just never gets old.
    edited October 2006
    I got Call of Duty 2 today. It's the Game of the Year Edition that comes with a bonus DVD that has content about the game and World War II. I'm at the start of the third level. It's a really good game.

xman25
    It isn't worth playing unless you play it on Veteran difficulty. Oh god is it a great game if you do. And it is BRUTAL. I still haven't beaten it.
    After I beat it on the Regular difficulty I'll go through it on Veteran. You get more Achievment Points for playing the game on Veteran.

xman25
  • GoldeneyeRA1GoldeneyeRA1 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    I picked up Doom for the 360's Xbox Live Arcade. The game is an exact port of the 1993 original; as such, the graphics look very coarse and dated by todays standards. But the gameplay is just as fast, fluid, and fun as it ever was. The Doom games always managed to keep things simple (keep moving, find the exit and shoot at everything that moves along the way) and the controls take about 30 seconds to learn. Overall, a fun fun game that just never gets old.

Hell no, it don't ever get old. The movie kicked also, IMHO.
    TonyDP wrote:

Hell no, it don't ever get old. The movie kicked also, IMHO.

Yup, I enjoyed the movie as well; but making the monsters the results of genetic mutations was lame (they should be from hell, like in the game, or at least from another dimension, ala HP Lovecraft). Come to think of it, Carl Urban just might make a pretty good James Bond someday...
    And you think Craig is ugly? Wow...
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    It isn't worth playing unless you play it on Veteran difficulty. Oh god is it a great game if you do. And it is BRUTAL. I still haven't beaten it.

Amen, that is exactly what I love to do, Call of Duty 2 is one of my favorite games that I am playing currently
    And you think Craig is ugly? Wow...

Sorry Night. To my eyes the difference (both in looks and acting style) is like night and day. This opinion, BTW, is based on how he looks and acts in the Doom movie and the accompanying featurettes, and not on any other films he's been in.
    Opinion is opinion, right? I haven't seen Doom, but I have seen the Bourne Supremacy, and I really don't think he looks right for Bond. Maybe a henchman, though.
    Opinion is opinion, right? I haven't seen Doom, but I have seen the Bourne Supremacy, and I really don't think he looks right for Bond. Maybe a henchman, though.

Based on Bourne Supremacy, no, he would not seem like a good candidate for Bond. But he looks and sounds surprisingly different in Doom. You should check it out sometime, if only to see how they ported the game over to a movie.
    Can do!
    I got Dark Angel today for the XBOX for $5. I'm at the start of the second level. So far so good.

xman25
    I've been playing Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy. I'm about halfway thru (not bad for 1 1/2 days); it's a really fun game with great control and surprisingly good graphics. It actually captures the Star Wars feel beter than some of the more serious and high profile SW games. Highly recommended.
    Told ya. Wait until you play the Lego City level, you need 60 gold bricks to unlock it. It is AWESOME.