The Rant Box

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    We need Ross Kemp to sort this out. :D

"If you took Ross Kemp and all his programmes and fitted them into a black hole I'd shake your f
    hand!" - Paul Calf (Steve Coogan). :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :))
    Ross would never back down from a group of crazy bargain hunters. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Robbo88Robbo88 Newcastle, England.Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    "I'm here on the streets of Britain, anarchy has taken over. The people of the UK are running wild. There's no order, the police are helpless and all because of a Russell Hobbs 2 Slice Stainless Steel toaster being marked down 37 pence than it's actual street value."

Read that in Ross Kemp's voice haha. It's like an intro for everyone of his programs.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    "Greatness From Small Beginnings."
    :))
    I'd love to see him having secret talks with different bargin hunting gangs.
    Pensioners in balaclavas and mobility scooters, talking about plans to rush
    ASDA, for some big screen Telly, while fighting off the rival gang of Nurses
    from the local hospital. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3378081/Looters-target-flood-victims-homes-Thieves-steal-properties-submerged-dirty-water-Storm-Frank-threatens-6in-rain.html
    Looters target flood victims homes !
    I'm guessing the law has changed but I always assumed that Looters were shot ! 8-)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Just reading about the terrible floods effecting parts of the country and do you know what really makes me mad ??? Pictures like this ......

2FAF737000000578-3378081-image-a-47_1451489140274.jpg

Why do people behave so stupidly? Guy there has taken a baby and a young child to the sea front on a very stormy day ... what could possibly go wrong ? X-(

So unnecessary and putting all at incredible risk for no reason.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    First snow since I got my VW Jetta, and I have one thing to say: DEATH TO ABS!!
    As a professional driver I can say that the stupid system (as it exists in my VW) increases stopping distance in snow by at least 1/4. I KNOW when to release my brakes- I don't need a badly programmed system to second guess me with a one-way-for-every-sensed-tire-rotation thing going on.
    Tomorrow I disable my ABS (simple fuse pull), but that also disables ESP (which controls power to wheels as road surfaces interfere with traction & all kind of s**t like that & turns your breaking & drive system into that of a normal & less expensive car)- GOOD!!!

Heysoos Marimba, they gotta justify their jobs by pretending to protect us, eh? X-(
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    stag wrote:
    Dunno the rules in the US but please be aware that if you do & you have an accident which then involves a police investigation & examination of the vehicle you could be in deep merde.
    We have many cars here without ABS. Besides, it's more likely to CAUSE an accident than prevent one. X-( 8-)
    stag wrote:
    the trick with ABS is not to pump the brake pedal but just keep your foot on it. You should be able to maintain directional control of the vehicle
    It's a system made for untrained & inexperienced drivers. For them it works well. For experienced drivers in hampers their ability to control a situation. In short, it makes bad drivers better & good drivers worse. Welcome to the future where there is no need to be exceptional, because they'll devise a system to make us all the same anyway.
    And thanks btw, my research shows that if I were to disable the ABS system and a car swerved over the center line and straight into me it would end up being MY fault for having a known modification to a standardized required safety system on my vehicle.
    F**K it. I'll just accept that I can't use my skill anymore & just let the insurance company deal with it. X-(
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I agree with Stag.
    Manipulating the safety components is not a good idea.

If you have brake performance problems on snow - get new snow tires.
    Additionally ABS is able to stop 4 different wheels independently - unless you have 4 pedals I doubt that you can be that good
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    unless you have 4 pedals I doubt that you can be that good
    All crappy drivers love ABS because they have no skill. No need to drive that home.
    I love ABS :D

My ABS are fantastic, pity they're on the car and not my stomach. ;)
    edited January 2016
    I did that once. Chased a perp in a V-8 & was mere inches behind him for what seemed like an hour. But then MY uniform wasn't real- it belonged to the studio I was working for. :D
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I must admit ,all my recent BMWs have had ABS , and to to be honest I think in the past 8 years ,its only ever been engaged once (it feels like driving over corrugated iron) im certainly no Stig Blomqvist,or Stirling Moss , a fair driver maybe, but I tend to drive fairly defensively ,I try to look far ahead to predict dangerous situations ,and adjust my driving accordingly .So no need to rely on the ABS or the DTC .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Well, ABS, in the end, is like driving with broken mirrors or something- not ideal, but it is workable. I've done a ton of research on this now, and the ONLY advantage to ABS is if you are breaking in a straight line, and you can't help but mash down on the break. People who pump their non- ABS breaks take way less distance to stop. 8-)
    Pretty sure it's not that easy.
    Each wheel is controlled individually by sensors and the breaking power rises until the wheel stops to spin properly.
    That's the pulsation that you feel. And that for every single wheel seperately!

The only negative is with snow or sand where a blocked wheel builds up a sand/snow wedge and increases the stopping power. This a spinning wheel can't do.

But you can't manually find the optimal friction point like ABS can and that individually and independently for 4 wheels!

edited January 2016
    Higgins wrote:
    But you can't manually find the optimal friction point like ABS can and that individually and independently for 4 wheels!
    Poor deluded German man. You've been sold a bridge. This was a system designed for aircraft landing on slick runways. When you take a half-million dollar system and make a four hundred dollar version to go in a car what do you think happens to the pinpoint accuracy of the system? Yes! That's right! It gets simplified down to the quality of a TOY. It basically kinda works okay. That's why in actual across the board TESTS it fails to deliver. Like I said before, it serves non-skilled drivers well, but those are the only ones who benefit at all.

This explains a little:
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2006/08/killer-abs-abs-braking-increases-rollover-risk-by-51/
    Quote from your linked article ( from 1998!!)

"People in Cars With Antilocks at Greater Risks"

And sorry, your article is incorrect.
    On modern ABS, each wheel,is individually controlled and the braking power is regulated for every single wheel and not for the entire system only, like your linked article suggests.

Just call your local Bosch hq and they'll confirm.

PS I personally know people who worked at Mercedes at the developement of ABS and these guys don't do cheap and simple.
    Cost reduction by larger unit numbers are common, otherwise we would be paying tens of thousands for recent computers.

Higgins wrote:
    On modern ABS, each wheel,is individually controlled and the braking power is regulated for every single wheel and not for the entire system only, like your linked article suggests.
    The article was just to point out the risks beyond what I was talking about. But you can't refute what I'm saying, so naturally you pick a tangent thing to deflect.

it's a crap system and it doesn't work the way you think it does. It ATTEMPTS to work the way you think it does, but basically fails when put to the tests.
    And my last car had no ABS, and I never lost control of it on snow or ice. My new car HAS ABS and I've never slid farther in my life. I didn't lose full control, but it surprised me how badly it worked seeing as it's a 2010 VW.

I won't bother posting any other stuff I've read on the matter because you'll find a way to be "right" no matter what. Just keep believing what you believe.
    And btw, LTK was a profitable movie. :))
    No tangents taken here.
    The point of your article from 2006 was that 1996 research results where that people wih ABS took larger risks than drivers without.

And I was pointing to technical inaccuracies to dispute the competence of whoever wrote that article.
    He did not even know how ABS works!

You're still not addressing what I'm posting here. The article was a small addition. Can you stop obsessing over it?
    No, because you can't discuss my main points.
    But that's okay. :)
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I have a DTC button (direct traction control) button on my car ,you can switch it on and off ,depending how mad you want to drive , 8-) I leave mine in the safe mode :D ,but I read on a BMW forum ,if you wrap your beemer round a lamppost and you have de -activated your DTC ,the gentlemen from your local constabulary will take a dim view and push for a harsher penalty .leave the wheelspinning to Mr Clarkson .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I have a DTC button (direct traction control) button on my car
    I have no problems with any other systems. DTC (ESP on my VW) seems to work well.
    Higgins wrote:
    On modern ABS, each wheel,is individually controlled and the braking power is regulated for every single wheel
    For ABS to work like you think it does it would need to be able to sense whether the loss of traction while braking was caused by oils, water, ice, snow, dirt, gravel, etc. to decide differences in necessary pumping durations to achieve maximum traction levels. It doesn't do this. It's simply loss of traction = system engaged. ONE system. The same reaction to all conditions. If it worked like you think it does, the ABS itself would cost what the whole car does. That it uses this ONE (simple) system independently for each wheel is very nice, but it still isn't as efficient as a skilled human. Note also that manual transmissions STILL get better gas mileage in urban driving conditions than automatic. Same basic reason.
    My wife's late father was a farmer and to keep driving in snow etc, he'd just
    throw a bale of hay into the boot. :)) this was long before ABS etc.
    chrisisall wrote:
    For ABS to work like you think it does it would need to be able to sense whether the loss of traction while braking was caused by oils, water, ice, snow, dirt, gravel, etc..

Does not matter!
    If the sensor detects that the wheel slows down to a certain amount, the system takes action and reduces braking power on this particular wheel.

You may start again that I obsess over things - I think you do.
    You THINK that you are a better driver and you THINK that your ABS Jetta does not perform well.

I know how the sytem works ( clearly you don't but rely on your "feelings" or word of mouth from colleagues) I know its limits but these are not what you are complaining about 8-)

Higgins wrote:
    Does not matter!
    If the sensor detects that the wheel slows down to a certain amount, the system takes action and reduces braking power on this particular wheel.
    Thanks for proving to me that you really don't understand the physics of loss of traction while driving. :v But you keep on loving that ABS! I'm sure it actually does help you out a lot! {[]
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    My wife's late father was a farmer and to keep driving in snow etc, he'd just
    throw a bale of hay into the boot. :)) this was long before ABS etc.
    I'm not sure that would help with the stopping? Ive just recently had experience of this as I had a crash just before Christmas. My car had newish tyres and abs/asc/ etc etc. When a lovely chap decided to pull out right in front of me on a 60mph Road in the wet and dark my car more or less just slid when I hit the brakes, I did have some slight ability to steer but alas the impact was inevitable! so abs didn't help me one bit! My lovely alfa romeo has been written off and the t**t who pulled out on me got a scrape on his bumper, oh and it's my fault despite him saying he never saw me!!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Ive just recently had experience of this as I had a crash just before Christmas. My car had newish tyres and abs/asc/ etc etc. When a lovely chap decided to pull out right in front of me on a 60mph Road in the wet and dark my car more or less just slid when I hit the brakes, I did have some slight ability to steer but alas the impact was inevitable!
    The system didn't allow you to brake for yourself. Yep. I think you might have fared better with standard brakes there.
    And Higgins, sometimes it's better to let your front wheels pull you out of a skid, but the systems engage & you can no longer do this either. All we can do now is what Chriscoop did... hit the brake and watch it all happen.
    Alfa Romeo... what a shame, dude... :#