The Rant Box

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    That's exactly it! Its OK the abs allowing me to still have some steering control but in my instance I was travelling too fast for that to work and simply slid headlong into the back of the idiot who pulled out! I loved that car too. But the upshot is I went out last week and bought myself a new alfa romeo gt in sterling grey....a good little bond connection there (sterling being bonds undercover name in TSWLM)
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,250MI6 Agent
    I'm enjoying this ABS debate, only because I know nothing about it :)) , but as far as I am concerned no one can call themselves a professional driver until they have driven in metro Cebu ;) :D
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    And ABS can't do miracles.
    When you're too fast, you are too fast. You can just sit, press the lever and wait what happens (or try to get around the obstacle)

Most drivers (including professionals) panic in that case and press too strong - natural human reaction.

I once took a driver's training and the first lesson was to adjust your seat so that your arms can not be pushed straight by holding the steering wheel.

In the event of an accident a natural reaction is to freeze and stiffen your body to prepare for impact. With straight arms, your upper arm bones break.

That's why all race drivers seem to be too close to the steering wheel.

right:
    Walter-Roehrl-Deutschlands-bislang-einziger-Rallye-Weltmeister-ein-Virtuose-495x330-ff3142e14ce8866e.jpg

wrong:
    1_ADAC_Fahrischerheit_falsche_Sitzposition_.JPG

So, it took another tangent. Why?

If even professionals freeze in the eye of an impact, I doubt that the "experienced" drivers stay cool and have a better performance than ABS :)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I wasn't too fast, it was a 60mph Road I was doing 55 and took my foot off the power completely as I suspected the car on the side may do something daft! At that point all I could see was his lights! When he pulled out at snails pace I was a good 40-50 meters away, applied brakes and did manage to get a few degrees of turn to attempt to go around him as the oncoming lane was clear of traffic. But the car just essentially slid. I would have been better hitting him straight on as I impacted my passenger side front corner....a delicate area on an alfa gt! I am an experienced driver have an done my civilian advanced driving course and my military driving courses including evasive and pursuit. Abs is very effective at slow speeds with space but in snow, ice or at speed its no more effective than cadence or non abs braking! In hindsight I would have fared better pulling the handbrake on and yanking to the right.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    To quote the driving God, Clarkson " POWER, POWER, POWER !!!" ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I meant that you where too fast to avoid the impact ;)
    And of course a car even under ABS can slide sideways when the speed it too high or the friction powers are not there.

I've said, that ABS can't do miracles ;)

That's why I stopped worshiping it, I now put my faith in
    Oddly shaped fruit. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,606Chief of Staff
    stag wrote:
    Anyway I hope we all agree that we are all experienced enough to have our own viewpoints on the matter. All I can say is that after driving both non & ABS fitted vehicles under 'challenging' circumstances I would opt for the latter without hesitation.

Works for me -{
    YNWA 97
    Yes it was dark and wet, and I had anticipated the car pulling out which is why I took my foot off the power. But with the ever decreasing distance I reckoned the chance of him pulling out also decreased....how wrong I was! Like I said the other drivers excuse was that he didn't see me!! Strange as my car was fitted with xenon, more to the point I assume he just wasnt paying attention. I would of course always prefer abs, and in the near future a dashcam is on the shopping list! What doesn't help though is the method we have in the UK of resurfacing roads, Ie spread a load of chipping down and let the cars compact it! As for bond abs doesn't stop him writing off nearly every car he drives (notwithstanding bullets, explosives and rivers in Rome) so I guess I'm in good company -{
    That's why I stopped worshiping it, I now put my faith in
    Oddly shaped fruit. :)
    You'd like my old alfa then as the front end now resembles a banana
    If you got there in one piece I'd say that qualifies you nicely.
    Totally agree stag, the only way I could have modified my driving for that event would have been to stay at home! Nothing more dangerous than an idiot in a car!......perhaps a suicide bomber.....or a North Korean dictator......or most women with pmt etc etc
    " Nothing more dangerous than an idiot in a car !"

Hey ! I resemble that remark. ;)
    Come now Tp I'm sure you drive your Bentley with absolute precision!
    :D True, I am the Stig's older, fatter cousin.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,250MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    as far as I am concerned no one can call themselves a professional driver until they have driven in metro Cebu ;) :D

I've driven through Paris & round the Arc de Triomphe while towing a caravan! Does that count?

Of course {[]
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    They are quite spectacular, the road I was travelling on I'm very familiar with, and the section I had my collision on is a mile and and a half straight, the road my nemesis was coming out on has clear visibility id say of half a mile in my direction so he had age to have seen me, he is lucky it was me as I often get overtaken by cars travelling well over 80 mph on that road and once by a BMW m3 who must have been topped out!! I would say the driver I hit was preoccupied by his phone or the preposterous huge and loud stereo bolted to his dashboard. I was sub 60mph when I saw him and by the time I reached him must have been sub 40mph. My airbags didn't deploy. Honestly he was still just straightening up when I hit him. I even suspected he had done it on purpose as a crash for cash! Quiet rural roads, no cctv or witnesses.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    In the event of an accident a natural reaction is to freeze and stiffen your body to prepare for impact. With straight arms, your upper arm bones break.

If even professionals freeze in the eye of an impact, I doubt that the "experienced" drivers stay cool and have a better performance than ABS :)
    I had one accident, and it was a car totaler, but I didn't stiffen up because that's not what I do. I was unhurt because I don't panic. I understand your need to project you lack of ability & training onto others, but assuming that everyone else is just like you is straight up foolishness. I couldn't hold my own with a Formula 1 professional race driver, but I'm a better driver than most cops. A man's got to know his limitations.

Higgy Baby, you need to know that you don't know everything- that's the beginning of wisdom. :D
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Have to say, I'm not prone to panic, but I am aware thing can go very wrong very quickly with driving even at modest speeds. And even though Im trained, Experienced and calm in a crisis I managed to come unstuck!
    When I was in my 20's and I got my first Mustang (rear wheel drive) I was driving one snowy early evening on a parkway- the ONLY person on the road because it was unplowed with 3 inches of powder and still coming down. So of course I was going the speed limit (55) and on a declined curve I lost it and started spinning. I remember calmly thinking that I just had to let whatever was gonna happen happen and that it would be nice if I hit a snowbank instead of a tree. Fortunately I got my wish. I got out & dug my tail end out a bit, then proceeded home at a reduced speed. All in all, it was very interesting. :)
    stag wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    I'm a better driver than most cops.

I'm glad you said "most"! :))
    I've known some cops that are just natural pro racer material, and as experienced as I am, I'm just not in that league.
  • Robbo88Robbo88 Newcastle, England.Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    It's not really a rant but, I went out with an old friend for a few beers last night. Hadn't seen him for years, just stayed on lager. Now I feel more hungover than I have in years. Not that I don't drink, it just feels as if I've had a bottle of vodka haha.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    "Greatness From Small Beginnings."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Sick of those FB pages that use pictures of disabled people or people with deformities to emotionally blackmail people into giving them like, shares and comments.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Sick of those FB pages that use pictures of disabled people or people with deformities to emotionally blackmail people into giving them like, shares and comments.

Yes, I'm sure that is pretty patronising for those with disabilities - it's a sensitive area where more sensitivity could be shown than has hitherto been the case.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) :)) I bet your traffic garage skipper loved you
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    I'm a better driver than most cops.

I'm glad you said "most"! :))

If you're referring to our American police colleagues you're probably right. The standard of instruction and training they receive is pretty awful.

I haven't got involved with the ABS debate because I haven't got the technical expertise to take part but I asked my hubby who is/was an advanced police driving instructor of many years ... taught everything from basic response to pursuits, armoured vehicles ,vans, skidding, carriers, covert ... just about everything (and as a police officer has done it for real too ;) ) and his response was ' I'd rather drive a car with ABS than without ' ....
    I do think that is the general consensus, I think chrisall was just expressing his dislike of the abs in snow, where it is pretty ineffective, on the plus side though after the loss of my beloved black Alfa gt, yesterday I collected my new (well new to me) shiny alfa gt with a couple of very tenuous bond links, firstly the colour is sterling grey which as I mentioned is a bond under cover name and the previous owner was a commander in the navy.
    edited January 2016
    Wonder-81-Dog-Sled-Static-Image2.jpg

With this I have no problem stopping or starting in snow. ( do have to take a load of poo bags though)
    Not for the dogs, ........ I find it all a little scary !
    :)) do you use that when it's too slippery for the Bentley then?
    Richard Hammond was not excited about the fact that Huskies are able to poo in full speed :D