NTTD garage scene, jeans identification

Comments

• Mattia De VartiMattia De Varti ItalyPosts: 488MI6 Agent

Yep, they found sales records, so seems pretty certain. Doesn't it?

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,330MI6 Agent

I wonder. As we know from seeing it, watching the movie doesn't provide any extra detail. And you can't pause or rewind.

It's interesting that the paper trail was there for two-plus years but since no one was looking, it was waiting to be discovered.

• 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,517MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Colour is about identical between the two. But after a few washes it'll be more / less SA depending on what costume did.

The bright brown patch seen on screen (filters / lights) is replicated perfectly on my 11's.

Coin pocket detail is right.

Happy to accept I have a 1oz lighter denim and hence not SA

Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

It all seems a bit sketchy to me if honest after listening to the Podcast. And there are three stretch Selvedge models also anyhow

I don't think we will ever get to the bottom of it unless a pair turns up in auction.

Instagram - bondclothes007

• Could be the weird guy in "nightshade"? orange stitch, white edge pocket and brown patch on the back? Naked and Famous really does have a lot of different colors, fabrics, and washes. If anyone is trying to buy a screen accurate pair at this point, it's a shot in the dark. The jeans were purchased 3 years ago.

• 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,517MI6 Agent

I'd trust Mattia and his findings. But unless you find a brand new 3 year old pair, what I was trying to say is they'll be different. So I'm happy with right brand right colour denim, right stitching and mostly right details.

Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • Lee JohnLee John Beautiful British Columbia Posts: 90MI6 Agent

Here is a pair of 11OZ stretch I purchased about three years ago. I’m a denim nerd and have an absurd amount of jeans. I own 8 pairs of Naked and Famous jeans. I’ve seen the film twice and I must say they do look closer to the 11s from my perspective. Hope that helps.

• Hart008Hart008 Posts: 710MI6 Agent

guys i am going to a styore that sells naked and famous in jakarta, so basically the 2 most identified are the wierd guy stretsh selvadge amd wierd guy in dirty fade is it ?

Yes i did ride the CAT
  • NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

can I ask you if you have any information if N&F got a confirmation from the production team that DC wears indeed the Weird Guy Fit?

according to this video N&F had no clue that they are in the movie, means they have same pictures as we all to identify the jeans as N&J. hard to believe that someone identifies the correct fit just by the movie glimpse even for a sales manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9qLVZm3Y5M

Edit: or is it the colour of the tag which marks them as he weird guy-fit?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2021

Buy whichever fit suits your body type. Screen accurate doesn't mean anything if you look like garbage.

If you are a heavy guy, you don't want slim jeans, and if you are a slim guy, you don't want baggy jeans.

Easy guy is a little more generous if you need a little more wiggle room.

Personally, I think the weird guy in "nightshade" look pretty spot on. But unless someone has the screen worn pair in hand,

I wouldn't lose too much sleep trying to figure out what naked and famous don't even know.

What I can tell you, cause it's what I was said, is that they managed to find some papers of the purchase back in 2019. Then crossing info have come to the conclusion they were for Craig.

As Suttirat has stated in a recent interview they have more or less a team of people in every big country (USA, UK...) who make the purchase for them. So they could have been bought without saying a word about an involvement with NTTD.

My contact told, after all the inquiries and seeing the movie, he skimmed through all the receipts of that period a found a match. 12.5oz Stretch Selvedge in Weird guy fit.

That's all I know.

• NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

you are right, member Ferinstal said already some wise words regarding the fit-topic. I can only speak for myself and personally I dont care for the sa fit that much as 80% of my cloth are tailored to my bodytype anyway, but I wanted to ask that question before the weird-guy-fit is known as "the" sa fit, it seems very important for some people

I had about 3-4 members who give me a confirmation to buy my TF NTTD jeans and they all didnt pay bc of "uh straight fit? not sa" or "slim fit? naah not sa, sorry I am out" 🙄

thank you for the explanation

You're welcome.

Then, tbh I as well am more inclined to buy the fit that fits most your body type

• Well...let's face it. Some people on here actually believe they are James Bond and finding screen accuracy is the least of their problems.

Before spending $800+ on a pair of jeans, they would be better off putting that money towards a psychiatrist.

One of the rules of cool is to innovate, not emulate.

Now I can appreciate a luxury item as much as the next guy,

but if your whole life has to be "screen-accurate". I'm sorry but at that point, you are insane.

• RichardCard82RichardCard82 Posts: 292MI6 Agent

I agree, like with the grey TF jeans. I would have liked the SA jeans but I didn't want to pay $700 for a used pair some guy was selling on eBay, he was selling the straight fit ones (which he claimed were the sames ones in the movie). It was tempting but no. I went with a brand new pair which were the slim fit, same exact color but only paid $300. They look the same but just a little slimmer. Theres a certain point where you have to go with the next best thing or else you'll go broke. Its cool that DZ has pretty much every item from the movie which I know he can afford due to his job but even he didn't know if the jeans were straight or slim fit so he went with the slim fit as well.

• DBSDBS Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,015MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

I ordered a few different pairs of the Naked & Famous Stretch Selvedge denim, and they've finally arrived and I've sorted the sizing, so I was able to do a side-by-side comparison. For reference, I ordered a pair of the 12.5oz. Stretch Selvedge in the Weird Guy cut (noted by Mattia's contact as the confirmed version in the film), and the 11oz. Stretch Selvedge in the Super Guy cut.

First observation, the sizing is off. The N&F sizing chart says the waist size of the 12.5 oz Weird Guy in size 31 is 33 inches - it's actually 32 inches. The Weird Guy fit is just that... weird. After the first time trying on, I'm not a huge fan of the fit. The thighs are snug, and I don't have muscular thighs. I know slim fit is going away and the wider leg is coming back in style, but I'll be damned if I ever slip on another pair of bootcut jeans in my life - no thanks. I'm not saying these are bootcut - they stovepipe from the knees to the hem instead. They actually remind me a lot of the 7FAM Mercer jeans from "QoS." In fact, in terms of coloring, the mercer wash is very close to the N&F 12.5oz. You can see the dot-like pattern of the fabric weave in the photo below which gives it a metallic-like finish. The stitching is more subtle, and the leather badge has a more orange patina to it.

As for the 11oz in the Super Guy cut, I went up a size to 32 for these since the fit is more slim (more my style). Again, the waist sizing is off from the N&F chart, just not as severe as the 12.5oz. Instead of 33", these measure 32.5". I understand N&F provide a disclaimer that measurements are within +- 0.5 inches, but this is definitely pushing it. While the 11oz. have the white edge detail on the coin pocket (which many here say is visible on the screen-worn pair - I couldn't see it in the stills from the film), the color of the denim is much different than the 12.5oz - it has a more uniform color without all the silver texture visible on the 12.5oz pair, and the stitching is much more pronounced with a yellowish orange color thread. The leather badge is also slightly darker and more brown in color. Here are a few side-by-side pics -

Kind regards,

Craig

• CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,368MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

Thank you for this review.

Is the 11OZ your favorite?

The 12.5OZ also reminds me the 74AM mercer jeans.

The white line on the coin pocket remains a mystery.

Is your regular size 32" ?

• MyselfMyself Posts: 64MI6 Agent

I tried the 11oz Stretch Selvedge and other Models of Naked & Famous. My regular Jeans size works perfectly no matter which model. Therefore I‘d say they are true to size.

i can confirm what Craig stated compared to Scotch & Soda Ralston N&F much wider around the calf and ankle.

Interesting bts. Though blurry it shows the jeans

• jclemzjclemz Posts: 85MI6 Agent

Nice! @Mattia De Varti I took your word a week or so ago and ordered the 12.5oz stretch selvedge - I had already emailed Naked and Famous to ask if they knew which ones were screen accurate but was already pretty convinced after seeing the film 6 times and photos of the 12.5oz. A few days after receipt, Naked and Famous responded to my email confirming I had purchased the correct ones and that they’d been able to confirm it with the sales staff who sold the jeans to production. I saw From Tailors With Love have also updated their article after receiving the same confirmation from N&F.

On another note, I’m surprised how dark the costume department made the sunrise boots! They look more like the chocolate colour!

• DBSDBS Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,015MI6 Agent

The boots look much darker here - dark brown rather than the tan sunrise color. Interesting!

I'm happy you're satisfied with your purchase. Was a though job to ID that piece indeed.

Hope to see some pictures wearing the jeans. Are those really that big like someone mentioned?

Think it's only a question of lighting here. Also the jeans look very dark compared to the scene we see in the movie

So did these have the white coin pocket strip back in the day when costume dept purchased them???

Or are we seeing things.

Not that I’ve found! I either take a size 29 or 30 depending on the brand - Rag & Bone fit 2 I take size 29 and Levi’s I take a 30 for example. I went with a size 30 in these (the weird guy fit) and they’re perfect on my waist without the need for a belt. I wouldn’t want them any tighter and given that they stretch I wouldn’t want them any bigger either.

They don’t have a white coin pocket strip, and I could never actually spot a white coin pocket strip in the film. However, the actual pocket trim is white and quite prominent, so I wonder if this was mistaken for a white coin pocket trim from the angle you see. I’ve put a photo below to show what I mean.

Yeah im positive in the film the pocket strip is there so really interested to know if the 12.5oz did previously have the strip

OK thanks the clarifying about the sizing.

Well, tbh I've seen the movie as well some times now and never spotted the white trim. As I also pointed out earlier on demand of @welshboy78 I think, my contact told it's hard to know whether or not it was there back then cause the model change so frequently even from a season to another in the same year.

To me, and also pointed out earlier, it's the rivets that when Daniel turns to uncover the V8 hit by the sun produce a sort of trim effect. Don't know if it can actually be or just an idea of mine.

Comments are well welcomed

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

Looking around for old photos of the 12.5oz stretch selvedge models from 2018/2019, it doesn't look like they had the selvedge edge coin pocket.

Here's a photo from Reddit from July 12 2019 of 12.5oz Stretch Selvedge. The guy says the jeans are 8 months old, so they'd be from around the same time the jeans would have been purchased for NTTD:

Here's a link to the Reddit thread:

And a couple of ebay listings for N&F jeans that look like they're from the same time (also with the regular coin pockets):

But there is a listing for a NWT pair of 12oz (not 12.5) stretch selvedge that has the selvedge coin pocket

And N&F did do another 12oz model specifically called the Indigo Slub Stretch that had the selvedge coin pocket, but I'm not sure when those went out of production (plus in all the photos I saw, the back patch was a much darker leather).

Thanks for that. The reason I was digging was that I was sure these jeans have not changed in that respect which your post kind of shows.

I guess the home release of NTTD will confirm the coin pocket detail as im 99.99% sure its def present on the two occasions I watched out for it!!!!