Coronavirus

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

Southafrica is selling 1 Million Doses of AZ because it is not working against the variant B.1.351

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

Everything from the stewards in the car park to the people wiping down the seats. All volunteers and all spot on.

Everyone in my immediate circle has been vaccinated. It's such a relief.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

Two "fun" facts:

- Yesterday the UK vaccinated more people than Norway has managed to vaccinate in total.

- The US now has a slightly lover number of infected per million than Norway has.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

This new website is doing nothing for our stress levels.

It's hard to tell what the emoticons are.

And this picture attached I put up for a laugh but didn't send some days ago. Now I can't get rid of it.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Thank you, I concur.

I also concur with NP (and Lady Rose) in a different thread. Hopefully we all get used to it in time.

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

I had mine on Thursday (had a rough couple of days afterwards but much better now). The organisation was fantastic, from the initial online booking to the volunteers and procedures, and everyone was very cheery.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

C&D

which vaccine have you received?

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff
    edited March 2021

Now this I find funny 🤣 talk about totally missing the point 🙄

In the Kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is King 🤴

Asp9mm - I hear ya 🍸

YNWA 97
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent

Yes it is, but has been widely criticized for this move, as the vaccine still reduces severe illness. The who has some interesting info on the efficacy of the various vaccines against new variants. There advice was that the AZ should still be used in South Africa.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

No, the EU made an advanced payment for it's vaccine to help supply, 3 months after the UK had signed it's supply contracts, contracts that do not state specific amounts on specific dates.

Macron gave Sanofi tax breaks worth 200 million euros to help them produce a vaccine last year, after the EU had ordered 300 million doses that never came to fruition and before the vaccine was they were working on was abandoned, they are reported to be working on a further vaccine that could be available later this year.

edited March 2021

The contract details between the EU and AZ remain unclear, the EU repeats, that the AZ promise of delivery was not limited to production site/availability and so on. There is a fixed timeline and AZ fails to follow it according to the EU.

It still remains that Sanofi announced troubles by Mid of December and it‘s clear since then that we can‘t count on Sanofi.

Why Macron would burn AZ from this point „because he‘s invested in Sanofi“ is still unclear.

We would need Sanofi now, later this year, we will have more than enough vaccine, so burning AZ in favour of Sanofi „later this year“ doesn‘t make sense either.

It just doesn‘t make sense and Macron for sure is not an idiot.

Tax breaks for research and building up production facilities (in particular for crucial vaccines) is not unusual, I am pretty sure that Oxford/AZ has benefitted to a similar degree from the UK government btw....

There have been various parts of the contract made public by non other than astrazeneca CEO Pascal Soriot (who btw is French Australian). According to a French journalist Macrons approval rating has plummeted to 29% after his 4 u- turns and downright dangerous approach to the vaccination rollout. He has also (according to many French) cemented himself as "a European Union Power Player" who's actions are purely political ! Just for interest here is a quote from the French article, due to the translating programme it may contain some grammatical errors.

.Macron then performed yet another spectacular U-turn, almost certainly because German chancellor Angela Merkel – his chief EU ally – had suspended the use of AstraZeneca.

The scientific evidence for the suspension was negligible – leading French doctors united with health authority chiefs to say the temporary ban was entirely political, and even when lifted it would cause “catastrophic” damage to the vaccination programme. In the words of MP Nicolas Dupont-Aignan: “The executive sails blindly, no longer thinking for itself and only knows how to follow in Germany’s footsteps”.

Irrelevant of nationality it is plain to most what has been going on here.

With reference to my earlier posts regarding Sanofi, these are historical facts from last year when it was thought that Sanofi would produce a viable vaccine, and Macron pledged 200 million euros towards this endeavour. As it stands they are said to be turning some of their facilities over to producing Johnson and Johnsons vaccine, which has also angered Macron!

You should really think twice before using such a quote to make your point.

Macron blindly sailing ... follow in Germany's footsteps - hilarious!

So, Macron's poll numbers are bad - what does this have anything to do with the ridiculous theory that he's burning AZ for Sanofi's benefit?

I have already commented on Sanofi's benefits - it happened and even on a much larger scale happens now that we all realize how important the development in the field of vaccines is.

edited March 2021

Not really I added the quote from a French source so I couldn't be charged with using British sources that you always deem nationalistic or unreliable when they don't support your opinion.

Who says he's "burning Az"? Certainly not a quite from me. But his ratings are low due I part to his handling of the vaccine roll out, and his constant u turns on it. It's also not helpful that he suspended a viable vaccine and fear mongered it to a French population that already have a lot of distrust in such things. I also don't think its "hilarious" that thousands more are at risk of contracting a potentially deadly disease because some leaders have decided to play political football with a life saving vaccine!

edited March 2021

That doesn‘t make the crazy claim by your quoted article any better or more realistic.

The author better gets his mental health checked.

Her name is Nabila Ramdani, freelance journalist .

Recommend that you check your sources a bit before you present a frechman whitnes against Macron:

member of the EU-critical Debout la France which managed to get 800.000 votes i(3,5%) n the last EU elections

>>Although he shares many policies and views with Marine Le Pen, he is considered less hardline than she and has criticised her in the past.<<

What's next, Chris?

Are you using a Johnson-critical quote by Corbyn as evidence that BoJo is finished? 😂😂

I've no idea who this man is 🤷

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff

Mental health issues are not a laughing matter.

YNWA 97

In the whole context of the piece she wrote Nabila Ramdani also quoted Jean Castex, who I am sure you know, so it may or may not surprise you to hear he contradicted Macron with regards the vaccine! Perhaps he hadn't been told of the French presidents latest U-turn. Quoting from different sources on opposing political stances makes the article more unbiased and level, so a quote from your chappy up there who I know nothing about and a quote from the French prime minister in an article about why the French people are upset about the vaccine and the handling of its roll out! I don't see your problem, other than you don't agree with it 🤷

No it's certainly not, it wasn't then and it's not now especially as it's so prevelant thanks to this cursed pandemic.

edited March 2021

The „chappy up there“ is quoted in your post for saying

„The executive sails blindly, no longer thinking for itself and only knows how to follow in Germany’s footsteps” 🙄

I had hopes that your memory would last that long.

I can assure you that like in France, here in Germany everybody is quite upset about how the vaccine orders have been done. And that is mainly against the EU and rightly so - and I am upset, too.

Nothing wrong with my memory, I just don't find it necessary to research every quoted person, in the multitude of articles I read that interest me ! I do however on occasion research the journalist to make sure they aren't politically biased.

edited March 2021

The main point of your post above was heavily politically biased as I have tried to show you.

I‘ve written a long and elaborate post (#1427) about why AZ was temporarily stopped here and that it was not a „political football“.

It where scientists that rose the warningflag and it would have been totally irresponsible to ignore it and move on!

Just imagine what the yellowpress would have made out of it here and in the UK.

AZ had issues right from the beginning as it‘s efficacy was reportedly not as high as Biontec and Moderna, the breech of contract from AZ did not make any good and there have been strong sideeffects known after the first doses have been given to healthworkers. In parts 50% of hospital staff have reported sick after vaccinations with AZ and all this happened before AZ was temporarily stopped - which was well communicated here.

If I was called tomorrow to receive an AZ vaccination, I‘d 100% go and get it.

edited March 2021

According to various European news outlets, AZ is hoarding around 30 million EU-produced doses in Anagi, Italy and those apparently should have been exported to the UK.

there is an info, that the Dutch production site is not certified yet, but the following is still valid:

So far the legend was, that the AZ shortages only affect the European sites and the UK are getting supplied in full by their UK sites......

Seems that European bureaucrats where on the right track some weeks ago ( I wrote about it in post # 1350) when border checks in Ireland where announced and shortly after pulled.

I‘d say the ice is getting thinner for those who so far pointed out, that AZ is telling the truth about their contracts with the EU while at the same time refuse to disclose the contract.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Just back from having my AZ jab. Now to wait till they tell me to go back for the second one.

Cheers, Barbel! 🍻

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

Congratulations? 🤔

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

Turns out that non of those 29 million vaccines where headed to the UK after all.

The EU are playing a very dangerous game trying to hide their own incompetence.

This discussion has been closed.