Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I see several Generals have pored scorn on Cameron's statement that there
    are 70,000 Syrian freedom fighters just waiting to fight IS. I think this statement
    will be to Cameron what the WMDs dossier was to Blair. :# We the voters keep
    getting lied to.
    As for bombing working ? The IRA bombet N.Ireland for almost 40 years and it
    achieved nothing. There are other ways of fighting IS, and I predict that troops
    will be sent in. :#
    I'm of the opinion that politicians are very quick to send in young men and women
    to war. Not their own kids of course, just ours.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,838MI6 Agent
    Bombing alone can't destroy ISIL. You need long-term inteligence work, twarting them economically, new alliances and perhaps even a deal with fractions of ISIL that's willing to do so.
    But I think bombing is neccesery to stop ISIL's military expansion and bomb their oil infrastructure. I suspect ISIL is about to change from a regional military force to a world-spanning terrorist organisation in the style of al-Queda. I think ISIL would have started bombing in the West sooner or later, but the bombing has pushed it forward in time.

I don't mind that Germany joins the bombing campaign. The country had a much deserved time-out from international military operations during the cold war and is only slowing getting more active. The country has accepted a very large number of immigrants and refugees from the Middle East, so there's a danger of some of them using terror as a revenge for the German bombing of ISIL.
    But Germany is the major economical/political force in Europe, so that danger is there anyway.
    I just read in the Guardian that Germany won't actually bomb ISIL, but their air force will supply reconnaissance jets and tanker planes. A frigate will help protect the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle.
    edited December 2015
    ;) Germany is doing just enough, .......... to look like they're doing something.

on a different subject, the latest sales figures for VW in
    the UK show sales down by 20%.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    actually I think Germany IS doing enough:
    - helping out greece
    - taking a good lot of refugees
    - now the military operation
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    I agree, Germany is doing more than their share.
    I was just poking fun at our German friends -{ if anything I think
    Germany is taking a more sensible course of action, and if their
    Statistics are correct the German Tornado fighter planes, have
    Much lower emmisions than ours. ;)
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Just watched a fasinating interview where Lotte Lenya talks about her life and career.

https://youtu.be/zORaO_MPehk
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    A 101 year-old woman cheerfully playing in the snow :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PxZEZKTKo
    I'm glad that turned out to be a mistake.
    I haven't been a good boy all year for nothing. ;)
    I must say I had mixed emotions about it. Father Christmas filled knitted stockings with snacks every night before Christmas day. then my sisters and I would watch Disney movies on TV while eating the snacks ...... good times :)
    But in recent years he has stopped filling our stockings and instead chosing to give snacks to my nephews and little niece - pure ageism! X-( I mean, why should we be denied the right to eat snacks while hearing Jiminy Cricket sing "When you wish upon a star" only because we are all in our fourties? :(
    It is a sad day when he moves on.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    What's all this Camsex I keep reading about? :s

ELECTION%20Witney%20013741
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :))
    image.jpg
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    not that I'm trying to pour oil in the fire but recently there was a little discussion about guns here:
    I just found this: http://m.bild.de/news/ausland/weihnachten/schiessfreudige-weihnachtsgruesse-us-politikerin-bewaffnet-familie-fuers-fest-43680146.bildMobile.html

a politician from Nevada posing with guns for the family photo. Now that attidute has to stop! It's crazy?!
    Nothing says "Good will to all men" like some hot lead
    Flying through the air ! :))
    I guess if Father Christmas isn't bringing any good presents, he'll be sorry for it :))
    These days Santa would be shot for attempting a home invasion. :))
    " God bless us, Everyone"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,701MI6 Agent
    "Merry Christmas" from the mouth of my sub-machinegun! :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,701MI6 Agent

"Welcome to Scotland!" comes to mind too! :)) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Have received my first Christmas Card:

eb2rnle.jpg?resize=600%2C600&quality=80&strip=all
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    the Grinch will have no chance with them :v
    Keeping gun massacres in the family. I'm so proud of them. :v
    It's a cultural thing. They are trying to send a message, adn surprisingly it isn't: "We want to kill you!"
    Perhaps it's: "We're free and independent, and we're willing to protect it."
    That's the most positive thing I can write about it, because it looks bonkers to us :D
    Some of you might remember I posted about a 13 year old boy I know who walked to the North Pole with three other kids. Part of the reason for this was to highlight climate change, and today the four of them spoke to the Climat Change Summit in Paris!

EpKpM7mpQ6zpzAuDgaHlxQX89iYU_sJTm6zdST4oIaQA

You can see Johannes to the left :)

3RaJc77Wf_8XAyweVuc7UQGUyRdOgzbRVJHdorHOfe9w

Chairman of the UN Ban Ki-Moon introducing the kids to the summit.
    He reminds me of me, at that age ;)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited December 2015
    Number24 wrote:
    "We're free and independent, and we're willing to protect it."

Yes. Thank you {[]

I'll bet there are no 'gun massacres in the family.' 8-)

Who's game to roll onto their property and tell them they have to give them up? Now...imagine that household, multiplied by tens of millions. It's part of our DNA; borne of revolution from an oppressive government, and ever-vigilant against an encore performance by enemies foreign...or domestic (to paraphrase the oaths of our military and our president).

We're told that we can't judge Muslims by the actions of a few...and yet responsible gun owners can apparently be freely judged by the actions of a few---apparently now including radicalized Islamists---and that's quite fine and fashionable.

The genie is out of the bottle; the horses are out of the barn; the toothpaste is out of the tube. Pick your metaphor. The only guaranteed path to a gun-free America is a totalitarian gun confiscation (read: Civil War II). Make them tougher to get, make people take a test, ban certain styles of weapons (again), whatever. Freedom---once had---is not relinquished without a fight. It's most certainly easier if you've never had it, I imagine.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I can't imagine many believes a total ban on guns in the US is possible, or even desireable. But I do hope more limitation on gun sales and ownership will come. But I don't think many Europeans can understand to what degree gun ownership and the idea of freedom and independence has melted together in the minds of many Americans. I can't think of any way they are any more free than we are (other than the freedom to have guns. but that would be a circular argument: "Our guns make us more free, because they give us the freedom to own guns ...". But I believe all countries behave irrationally on issues conserning a national myth. The Japanese think of themselves as a victim of WWII, Norwegians rally to the flag when foreigners mention whaleing, in Northern Ireland people have murdered each other for centuries because they og to different churches on Sunday. I think most of the members of this forum knows there are traditions or myths in their countries that seem irrational to foreigners. It doesn't mean we should stop discussing them, but we should try to understand it.