Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,838MI6 Agent
    We must also understand that having or owning a gun isn't always irrational. Personally I enjoy going to the range and shoot pistols and revolvers for fun - it can be a good hobby. Also, some people actually need guns to keep them safe. I've read that some of the areas where private ownership of guns is most popular are rural areas With little police presens that are realatively close to urban areas with a lot of crime. Then again, there are real reasons for hunting whale too.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I don't think gun ownership is the major problem, as Canada. I think also
    Has a large amount of guns in private hands. There has to be something
    about the way a people/community/population feel. America seems to be
    Constantly told they are " Under attack", hence the feeling that people need
    Firepower to protect themselves.
    It's not an easy question and I ain't smart enough to come up with an answer,
    It's just so terrible to keep hearing of these vile attacks more and more often.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited December 2015
    Norwegians have many guns too, but the great majority are hunting rifles and shotguns. Perhaps a lot can be explained by the media? I remember Michael Moore's documentary "Bowling for Colombine". When he went to Canada he noticed how different the news was from the US. It wasn't mainly about gangsters in the ghettos, drive-by shootings and murders, but balancing the Budget, School politics etc. Because of this many Americans believe crime is going up, but in reality crime rates have been going down for years. So they buy more guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Violent_crime_rates_by_gender_1973-2003.jpg
    edited December 2015
    double post
    I think in some ways ( could be wrong here as I don't live in the US) from
    where I stand. America has entered the 1984 mind set. Always on a war
    Footing. Making it easy for governments to bring in any draconian laws
    They want ( as it's needed for " Security") with no amount of legally held
    Firearms being able to stop it.
    For instance many say the " Patriot act" stripped so many rights from US
    citizens,giving the government so many ways of checking in to all aspects
    Of peoples lives. New laws to imprison, hold and convict people.
    Maybe I'm an old " Conspiracy nut" but I think the military coup has already
    Happened in America. While the population was fighting to keep the gun laws,
    The people behind the scenes were, stripping them of their rights and privileges.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited December 2015
    While 'military coup' is the wrong term, I've been thinking the same thing. All those guns didn't help at all against the Patriot Act. If the people keep a sharp eye on the news and vote accordingly, there is no need for guns to keep them free.
    For military insert " Political, industrial" ;)
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    the problem is how the guns are handled: we had learnt about it in school,and the accidental deaths of all those children are horrible!
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    It's a part of the problem, but far from all of it.
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    I think it should be enough reason to overthink the current situation there
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    the problem is how the guns are handled: we had learnt about it in school,and the accidental deaths of all those children are horrible!

I seem to remember (it was along time ago) we was told ,during our officer safety training ,that more U.S police officers had been shot and injured on duty ,by their own ,and their colleagues ,mis handling of weapons, than any other incidents involving guns .
    if I have totally mis remebered this ,please accept my most humble apologise.
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    From listening to some of the latest news on the American Republican
    Contest to find a Presidential candidate. I can't help but think that Donald
    Trump is having a midlife crisis of some sort.
    edited December 2015
    It seems like many Americans, and especially Republicans, seem to value entertainment value and an uncompromising attitude very highly in candidates. Political experience and willingnes for bipartisan compromise seems to be seen as negatives. it must be said that Obama also has a "superstar" quality and had little political experience when he became president, so it's not unique to the GOP. When Trump stepped into the political scene I gave him no chance, but now I'm not so sure. He does seem like a dream oponent for Hillary Clinton, since it must be real easy to look unifying and "stateswomanlike" next to him. Of cource, to many Republicans Hillary is extremely unpopular and will rally voters to any candidate they will chose.
    It's not like Trump is the only extreme candidate among the Republicans. Ben Carson (speak softly, say outragous things ....) and Ted Cruz are also far to the right.

I'll say this for American elections: they are facinating!
    Yes, always entertaining. :)
    I like the system the parties chose their presidential candidates by. The candidates must visit states, meet voters and face elections again and again. Not only is it entertaining. It's open, it engages the public and tests the candidates. if they can't handle this, they probably shouldn't be presidents anyway. In Europe presidential or prime minister candidates are found in the back rooms of the political parties and then they "emerge" as candidates. The American system seems better in many ways, but it does have an Achilles heel in the enormous amount of money needed to get elected.
    I remember reading ( sadly, I can't remember the source ) that the founding
    Father's. Didn't want professional politicians, but rather shopkeepers, doctors
    etc. Who'd do a few years, then leave to go back to their businesses.
    Although I too like the American system, as a candidate has to bring all sides
    Of their parties together, but the thing I always thought odd. Is you vote for the
    President, and he then chooses all other members of his cabinet. Whereas in the
    UK you vote for the party, and the cabinet is full of elected politicians.
    Here in Norway prime minsters chose their ministers. Most ministers have political experience, but usually one or two ministers have a different background (unions, business, education etc). Clearly there are US Republicans who want a president from outside politics, such as Trump, Carson and Fiorina. While the idea sound appealing, I think it's a bad idea. A president has a much better chance getting his politics through in Congress if he knows how to play the game. I think Obama would have done better if he had more political experience before he ran for president.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I have many American Democrat friends who tell me there are many Americans even within the Democrat party who don't particularly like Hillary Clinton. They tell me that many people find her arrogant, condescending and have genuine concerns about both Benghazi and the email business but won't say so out-loud for fear of looking like the loonies who are speaking very loudly about both issues. If the Republicans had one decent, intelligent and sensible presidential candidate, they really could win next year's election as the middle ground is still up for grabs. However, neither Trump or Cruz can beat her or any other Democrat so in a way, if the Republicans choose Trump or Cruz, they're throwing away the election.
    I too would like to have seen more strong Democrat candidates, and especially someone less controversial than Hillary. I also agree that the Republicans will probably destroy their chances if they nominate a right-wing candidate. The worst case scenario for the GOP would be if Cruz or Carson wins the Republican nomination and Trump decides to really run as an independent.
    I think the esteemed members of this forum guess the name of the captain of the newest US Navy destroyer. it's surprisingly obvious ....

USS_Zumwalt_t700.jpg?f40c0e74b997dbb01ce524758e0d04a31382c8af
    It's a very high-tech vessel of the US Navy ......
    Ok, I'll bite, is it Captin Kirk ? :D
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,701MI6 Agent
    Is it Captain Dog by any chance? :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Ok, I'll bite, is it Captin Kirk ? :D

Yes! The USS Zumwalt is commanded by captain James A. Kirk -{
    :)) :)) :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,488Chief of Staff
    Seems... logical!
    Although I think very quickly that ship will be nicknamed the
    USS Kumquat ! :D
    I magine the log book on USS Zumwalt will be entertaining reading material. :D

BTW, William Shatner has sendt the crew a message.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    So I just heard that Donald Trump's real name is Drumpf and that his grandparents were German immigrants. Funny, I always thought it was Dumkopf!