The Billy Reid Peacoat is a GO!

Comments

• StefanStefan VirginiaPosts: 568MI6 Agent
    Awesome, can't wait, got the PM, will put something together.
    " Not All Who Wander Are Lost "
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Thanks! BTW, the site is live to watch the video etc... www.thebondexperience.com

TBELIVE.jpg
  • KittlemeierKittlemeier U.S.Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    What color is the inside on the original and the new release? Also, does the new one have the buttonhole on the lapel? Seems to be missing from the model shots.

Thanks
  • GatsbyGatsby GermanyPosts: 44MI6 Agent
    Paid for express plus shipment but it still has the status "processing" and i have not recieved tracking information yet.

Goodbye to wearing my coat this weekend ;)

The backorder thing ... I understand that from a business point of view and i don't think my coat is less special without beeing limited to 150. and as been said before, the coat was around before the bond connection. The thing BR did was very nice and i think it's good business for them as well as for us bond fans. Thanks for that.
    But next time don't call something limited edition when it's not.
  • RYH666RYH666 UKPosts: 105MI6 Agent
    Spoke to graham about shipping and he said they are seen as processing but are all being sent out on friday apparently so im guessing we wont receive until next week.
    Kittle, do you mean the inside button hole and button to keep the lines of the coat flat? The first one you button? If so its there. :)
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    Kittle, do you mean the inside button hole and button to keep the lines of the coat flat? The first one you button? If so its there. :)

Are all the buttons stitched onto another button on the inside???? My Billy Reid had one button sewed onto another and it is solid, the other buttons were a bit weak and stitching fell apart (I had them redone) but believe my one was a sample from last year so buttons were prob not done properly.

Is the inside button supposed to be buttoned to keep a certain shape??? I wondered about this
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I don't think all the buttons are sewed to another...and yes, the interior button is supposed to be buttoned.
    The Mantis wrote:
    I don't think all the buttons are sewed to another...and yes, the interior button is supposed to be buttoned.

Cheers for clarifying!! -{
    On the buttonhole, I mean the one on the left peaked part of the lapel. The place where you'd put a flower if it was a suit.

And the backside of the wool on the older ones I've seen is grey, where the pics from the BR site of the new one seem to be the same blue as the outside. Not that that matters to the look of the coat, just curious.
  • chartfieldchartfield Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    edited November 2012
    Hi Mantis, first of love the vids and James Bond experience site. I am looking at ordering the peacoat today. I believe you have the med jacket and wondered if you could tell me your height. I'm 5,9 small frame but well built, shoulders, arms and chest, 32 inch waist. Would the med be the one for me?

Thank you,

Carl
    I watched the video review.
    The coat is complete unlined on the inside. Does that mean it has no inner pockets for a wallet or something else?
    Can you give me your chest size...I can help you if I have that...

Inside is blue, not grey on the new ones....will check on the lapel button when I get home.
    The Mantis wrote:
    Can you give me your chest size...I can help you if I have that...

Inside is blue, not grey on the new ones....will check on the lapel button when I get home.

Hi, 41" chest and shoulders 18" Lots of muscle on small frame. Out of interest how tall are you, as this would help me gage how long the arm length and jacket length would be on me.
    Gatsby wrote:
    The coat is complete unlined on the inside. Does that mean it has no inner pockets for a wallet or something else?

Yeah I miss the inside pockets, Levis and Billy Reid dont have them!
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Gatsby wrote:

Yeah I miss the inside pockets, Levis and Billy Reid dont have them!

Oh no :( i didn't know that. I allways use inside pockets for my wallet and keys. Sounds like it wont be a coat for daily use then :(
    Chartfield, I am a 40/41 chest...decent muscular build...nearly 5' 9"...32 waist....medium is perfect...you can see in the video I have room for layers etc...without it looking puffy or ill fitting.

david_jacket1.jpg

david_phone1.jpg

I don't miss the inside pockets as the jacket has four pockets...the flap pockets are very deep and very secure with button closures etc...
    The Mantis wrote:
    Chartfield, I am a 40/41 chest...decent muscular build...nearly 5' 9"...32 waist....medium is perfect...you can see in the video I have room for layers etc...without it looking puffy or ill fitting.

david_jacket1.jpg

david_phone1.jpg

I don't miss the inside pockets as the jacket has four pockets...the flap pockets are very deep and very secure with button closures etc...

Thank you so much I am going to order the med in that case. Really good of you to reply so quickly. I did watch your video of you in London... Really good. It's just so difficult to gage how tall someone is. Great coat at a reasonable price just the import tax to the UK that stings. Oh well small price to pay for a bit of Bond history.
    The Mantis wrote:

Thanks, so the old one is grey on the inside?
    Actually I have seen an old one that is grey and an old one that is blue...the older grey one may have been from The Heirloom side...
    Hmm I have the Skyfall one from last year (non reissue) im sure mine is grey

Will check when I get home!!!
    The new one I have DOES have the lapel button....!
  • ReturningsonReturningson Posts: 560MI6 Agent
    I feel like I have to speak my mind about this piece because its buggin' me.

Maybe im the only one but im starting to be completely put off by the fact that this now seems likely to be an open ended edition instead of a special limited edition, as blatanly stated by Graham in the original posts. We, as Bond collectors, love to focus on quality and pieces such as this deserve to be capped at a relatively limited number to preserve their appeal. Such pieces as this can be considered an investment (this way of thinking seems to be in more conformity with what Bond's thinking may have been when he bought this if he were real as he only wears heirloom quality pieces) but, at least in my own eyes, it was instantly cheapened when Billy Reid decided to just release as many and moreso. They already sold 258 (at $700 a piece, they are making $170K on one single product). I understand how enterprise and captalism works, and if I was a shareholder in BR im sure my opinion would be different but I also believe in customer service and appreciation. When Belstaff changed hands, several warehouses were left with dozens of leftover italian made belstaff leathers. Instead of selling them at a severely reduced price, they stated that would be destroyed because they didnt want to flood the market and cheapen the brand. Thats true quality in a company. Something that BR seems to lack.

Now, im grateful that they consented to a reissue. 150 is a good number. 250 is fine as well. But an open ended edition just doesnt work for me. The only real counterargument that keeps being posted is that they are being indunated with requests and that other bond fans shouldnt be dissapointed. Sorry to point this out but the real bond fans were the ones who actively participated in and who pre-ordered this coat (and in doing so help generate the amount of buzz thats currently being seen). Shouldnt they be ones rewarded with a very special, limited edition piece?

I feel like just cancelling my order, waiting 6 months and then scooping one of these up on evilbay for half, maybe even a 1/3 of the price. Does anyone else feel like this? I dont think im out of line. I dont see Levis going and ramping up production on their LVC. Again, just feel kinda bummed out that this very special piece is not going to be as special as I thought it was.
  • redsleighdownredsleighdown USAPosts: 450MI6 Agent
    Maybe a solution can be reached. Have you thought about addressing this concern to a representative at Billy Reid (respectfully of course). I saw that Mantis had his coat signed by BR himself. Maybe a deal can be worked out that the first XXX could be signed, or even have a certificate mocked up that perhaps we could convince Billy to sign? BR has been very generous to open up this line again for us, the fans, so I'm sure he/the company would be up for working with us on something like this.
  • ReturningsonReturningson Posts: 560MI6 Agent
    Yeah, something should be done. I mean, if the impression was never given that this was going to be a limited run, i wouldnt complain. But all along we had Graham's countdowns ("only have 100 left guys, get your orders in soon" etc) so i ordered under a false impression. Mislead even. Similiar actions were done by Steady clothing during the construction of the DRIVE scorpion jacket after claiming they could only make one run. Then two, then three. Over a year later, they are still making them...
  • mattbistromattbistro Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Hey Mantis,
    I bet you are probably tired of answering questions about sizing but I hope you could help me. I am currently deciding on whether to get a L or XL. I wear a 42L in a suit jacket and usually wear a L in most clothing. I am 6"3 tall and have a waist of 33-34. What size would you recommend?
    Happy to help and I never tire of getting someone the correct fit...yours is a bit challenging with your height...I was tempted to say L right away...but I am worried about sleeves, not girth or length of coat...what is your sleeve length?

Returningson, I sympathize with you more than you know. I do know that the price would not have changed either way on these coats limited or otherwise...$695 is a typical price for one of their pea coats. That being said, I do wish in interviews and marketing BR gave a slightly deeper nod to this board and the legion of fans that spoke up to motivate a re-issue...and then caused a viral flood of demand. But I remain hopeful!
    It was a win win situation for all parties involved. We bond fans are able to get a screen accurate limited edition bond coat and they got amazing PR. Magazines, this forum, the video podcasts. Many people never heard of BR before this coat was in the media.

Just a small gesture to the first pre order guys who e-mailed Graham and ordered the coats within a few days to get one of the 150, would be nice.

I understand that not every coat can be signes from BR, but just a little gesture.

The mantis did huge things for them i think. He made the thing big with us, the podcasts, the interviews, answering a truck load of questions in this thread.

I hope the guys from BR are aware of that.
    I understand peoples anger but on the other hand when I first wrote to Billy Reid I honestly didnt expect to get one of these Peacoats.

This could easily have been another Zara Shirt scenario e.g. we would never get one and that would have been gutting since its prob one of the main pieces of the film (my fave part of the film personally).

Personally I dont care if there are more out there, its still peanuts really quantity wise and unless you go to a 007 convention or around Mantis's house I dont think you will see another :), hence I dont care about the exclusiveness factor!! However I DO feel sorry for people who broke their neck trying to get one fast thinking it was limited etc and prob had to struggle financally to get one before they sold out.

Overall Im glad Billy Reid listened to the fans, obviously they are making a nice earner however if it was a bigger company im sure we would have been ignored or told "no" hence I think we should also appreciate that and to me that outweighs the "limited" factor e.g. I would rather have the jacket under these circumstances rather then none at all!
  • jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I understand peoples anger but on the other hand when I first wrote to Billy Reid I honestly didnt expect to get one of these Peacoats.

This could easily have been another Zara Shirt scenario e.g. we would never get one and that would have been gutting since its prob one of the main pieces of the film (my fave part of the film personally).

Personally I dont care if there are more out there, its still peanuts really quantity wise and unless you go to a 007 convention or around Mantis's house I dont think you will see another :), hence I dont care about the exclusiveness factor!! However I DO feel sorry for people who broke their neck trying to get one fast thinking it was limited etc and prob had to struggle financally to get one before they sold out.

Overall Im glad Billy Reid listened to the fans, obviously they are making a nice earner however if it was a bigger company im sure we would have been ignored or told "no" hence I think we should also appreciate that and to me that outweighs the "limited" factor e.g. I would rather have the jacket under these circumstances rather then none at all!

I agree, considering a number of people may have ordered multiply ones too like me, I have three ordered
    Ross