The Billy Reid Peacoat is a GO!

Comments

• ReturningsonReturningson Posts: 560MI6 Agent
    im glad BR listened to us but seriously guys, i mean its only smart business when you have hundreds of fans clamoring for a piece to do a rerelease (companies that dont like Zara are insane in my opinion, from a business perspective) however, you guys are telling you would be totally cool that if a year from now this coat was still be made and thousands were released? And you could find them on the secondary market for $300-$400? Really?
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    i havnt got the pea coat. i decided against it and went for the barbour,

the barbour is a on off design, ive not seen another like it,, however, a pea coat,, is a pea coat,, 100,s of makes, all looking very similar,

but !! i doubt if we will see any of the BR coats on ebay, maybe some,, put up by ppl who want to charge far to much, as someone already has with a barbour, (£790) i believe,
    the BR coat is lovely, and i think owners will cherish them ,, and keep them,
  • mattbistromattbistro Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Hey Mantis,
    Thanks for responding...I just measured from the inside of my armpit to my wrist which is 22-23. I am not a very big guy in terms of muscle but am kinda tall.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    im glad BR listened to us but seriously guys, i mean its only smart business when you have hundreds of fans clamoring for a piece to do a rerelease (companies that dont like Zara are insane in my opinion, from a business perspective) however, you guys are telling you would be totally cool that if a year from now this coat was still be made and thousands were released? And you could find them on the secondary market for $300-$400? Really?

Well one thing to remember is that this was released well before Bond / DC used it hence there could be many out there before the reissue (mine is not a reissue). How many were made before the Bond connection??? Maybe there are loads already out there from last year

Personally I really don't care less if they go for $400 next year on eBay, im just happy I got one! -{
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    no, production runs for this piece before the reissue was very small (both the navy and the black)...
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Today on GQ.com
    http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/2012/11/jany-temime-skyfall-interview-james-bond-style-daniel-craig.html

"We spent a lot of time on the last sequence. He wanted to look as though he had found the scarf in the Bond family's home. Another one of Daniel's ideas: When he's playing the chauffeur in the airport, he was the one who said, "I want to have a blue peacoat. I know Billy Reid makes very nice ones." So I ordered ten pieces, and I must say, they put this little piece of leather on the back and it is beautiful. And paired with the chauffeur hat he's wearing, it gives Daniel a sort of boxy look. The unusual shape makes him completely different, you know?"
  • redsleighdownredsleighdown USAPosts: 450MI6 Agent
    Let's also not forget someone's (sorry to lazy to look up) quote from earlier, reminding us that this isn't a custom costume piece that was going to be released in small numbers. This was a readily available jacket 2 years back. Many people picked it up before the fact that it was in Skyfall was known.

That being said, I think it has been proposed to Graham and BR to POSSIBLY (don't quote me) do something for the die-hard fans who snatched up the first 150-250.
  • dr godr go Posts: 50MI6 Agent
    Let's also not forget someone's (sorry to lazy to look up) quote from earlier, reminding us that this isn't a custom costume piece that was going to be released in small numbers. This was a readily available jacket 2 years back. Many people picked it up before the fact that it was in Skyfall was known.

That being said, I think it has been proposed to Graham and BR to POSSIBLY (don't quote me) do something for the die-hard fans who snatched up the first 150-250.

Hi
    I am one of the Bond fans who bought one of the 150 original batches of the reissued BR coat. I was a bit disappointed that the original run has been extended though I am glad to get one at all.
    I was wondering if anyone in the UK or outside of the US has received their coat yet?
    Also, there have been mentions of BR possibly doing something more special for the original 150 buyers. Does anyone have details of what this might be?
  • RYH666RYH666 UKPosts: 105MI6 Agent
    dr go wrote:

Hi
    I am one of the Bond fans who bought one of the 150 original batches of the reissued BR coat. I was a bit disappointed that the original run has been extended though I am glad to get one at all.
    I was wondering if anyone in the UK or outside of the US has received their coat yet?
    Also, there have been mentions of BR possibly doing something more special for the original 150 buyers. Does anyone have details of what this might be?

Im same as you mate from the UK and first 150 haven't received it yet graham said they would ship friday but haven't got any shipping notifications. I also feel a tad disappointed with all the reissues as did struggle to get funds quickly for my coat as i thought was 'limited'. Kind of hope the first 150 or 250 get something, if anyone knows anything be good to know.
    i sent an message to Br voicing my and some other members concerns. I dont think the first orders will get anything special (mine was shipped out yesterday and should be here by thursday) but i did ask how many were made, if the run would be an open edition. I will let you know what they say.
  • richi717richi717 Posts: 124MI6 Agent
    Give people an inch and they try and take mile. Enjoy the coat. I'm sure BR will issue a refund if you guys are that upset and no long want the coat anymore.
    no, no...sorry its called bad practice. People buy something told one thing and then turns out to be something else. Simple as that. Cant be any clearer. Its not a gray area.
    First world problems at its finest. I'll be enjoying my coat Thursday.
    yeah...your right...its only a $700 peacoat. I mean, $700 is just the leftover change in my cars cupholder. :s
    I don't doubt that.
  • RYH666RYH666 UKPosts: 105MI6 Agent
    Its true though Billy reid should not say its a limited run and get everyone hyped up trying to get there money together to place an order asap, then for it to turn into a unlimited run. Im happy just to get one but i do think for a company like billy reid to go against there word isnt very professional especially for the people like myself who really struggled to get money together for the first run.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,597Chief of Staff
    RYH666 wrote:
    Its true though Billy reid should not say its a limited run and get everyone hyped up trying to get there money together to place an order asap, then for it to turn into a unlimited run. Im happy just to get one but i do think for a company like billy reid to go against there word isnt very professional especially for the people like myself who really struggled to get money together for the first run.

Mmmm...well...it probably will be a limited run...but limited to thousands rather than hundreds...they will most likely alter the shape of the pockets on next years model or the collar or dye it a slightly different shade of blue, anything that will give them a new model...unfortunately that's business practise...and I can't blame them for doing this...they could have easily refused to re-make the coat in first place...so I would count yourselves lucky that you got one at all...I'd love to have one but even with them making more I STILL won't be able to afford one...
    YNWA 97
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    Everyone is getting what they paid for at the end of the day. And there was no price hiking. Use it, enjoy it. -{
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,597Chief of Staff
    ExpatJB wrote:
    And there was no price hiking.

Excellent point....they could have doubled the price and kept a smaller run...
    YNWA 97
    people keep telling us to THANK BR for rereleasing it. Why? Werent we the ones (the target market) who informed them they had a serious amount of interest in a single product that sold out within weeks making them 170K? It sounds like we did their job for them. Look, im glad they catered to the fans but people on these boards act like they bent over sideways to deliver a product that only a VERY small few wanted. Sorry, wasnt the case. They made hundreds of thousands of dollars and got TONS of free press and mentions. If anything, THEY SHOULD BE GRATEFUL TO US... :#
  • jonny-dhjonny-dh Posts: 257MI6 Agent
    people keep telling us to THANK BR for rereleasing it. Why? Werent we the ones (the target market) who informed them they had a serious amount of interest in a single product that sold out within weeks making them 170K? It sounds like we did their job for them. Look, im glad they catered to the fans but people on these boards act like they bent over sideways to deliver a product that only a VERY small few wanted. Sorry, wasnt the case. They made hundreds of thousands of dollars and got TONS of free press and mentions. If anything, THEY SHOULD BE GRATEFUL TO US... :#

Perhaps a rep from BR could send you a thank you note. I'm sure it could be arranged.
    Hardy har. I actually dont want anything except for a reasonable edition size cap (like was promised in the beginning). No note, a BR signature or discount. I simply want BR to follow what they said.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I think they are grateful. And there are companies out there that we have give much attention to (Zara) that did not heed our cries...on their web page they even have a link to the BR videos we did as a nod...and I don't think its over yet...I have a vague hunch that we will be seeing BR in future Bonds....its good that we are connected with them early on.

Regardless, I believe they fully know the power of the voice of this board.
  • GatsbyGatsby GermanyPosts: 44MI6 Agent
    I can understand both sides. I think the discussion gets a bit emotional.

It´s business. Every Fan who ordered one of the first 150 or 250 is thankful that BR did the reissue and is glad to own the bond pea coat. Both sides win.
    A "rare" screen accurate coat for the fans. Money and great puplicity for BR.

No one is angry because more fans ca own the coat. That´s a great thing in my opinion. I´m glad for everyone.

And the guys who are a little bit upset, like myself at the beginning, are just emotional about it. To buy this coat and pre order it months before the shipping date was a very emotional decision and the promise of a very limited run made them (us) rush with the pre order and to get the money ready in a short time. That´s what collecting is about, right? Buying things you don´t really need just because you love something.

Great job by BR, great job by AJB and by Mantis.

Try to understand both sides :)
  • singhammersinghammer Posts: 108MI6 Agent
    :-(

"Thanks for contacting us.

Your coat has not been shipped. Unfortunately, we encountered a problem on Friday when we received the first shipment of coats. Our manufacturing facility shorted us 50 medium coats. Apparently, there was some kind of confusion re: our order. We have placed a rush production and shipment on the missing coats, and we expect them to arrive within a couple of weeks. At that time, we will ship yours out immediately."
  • TintinTintin Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    singhammer wrote:

Your coat has not been shipped. Unfortunately, we encountered a problem on Friday when we received the first shipment of coats. Our manufacturing facility shorted us 50 medium coats. Apparently, there was some kind of confusion re: our order. We have placed a rush production and shipment on the missing coats, and we expect them to arrive within a couple of weeks. At that time, we will ship yours out immediately."

That doesn't sounds good. I have a bad feeling about this.
    edited November 2012
    Gatsby wrote:
    I can understand both sides. I think the discussion gets a bit emotional.

It´s business. Every Fan who ordered one of the first 150 or 250 is thankful that BR did the reissue and is glad to own the bond pea coat. Both sides win. 
    A "rare" screen accurate coat for the fans. Money and great puplicity for BR.

No one is angry because more fans ca own the coat. That´s a great thing in my opinion. I´m glad for everyone.

And the guys who are a little bit upset, like myself at the beginning, are just emotional about it. To buy this coat and pre order it months before the shipping date was a very emotional decision and the promise of a very limited run made them (us) rush with the pre order and to get the money ready in a short time. That´s what collecting is about, right? Buying things you don´t really need just because you love something. 

Great job by BR, great job by AJB and by Mantis.

Try to understand both sides :)

I dont think you adequately described both sides. Im not "emotional" by any means. It seems people keep trying to argue against the solid and substantiated fact that BR promised a limited edition and now they are going against that. Again, its a peacoat with hundreds of different versions and types all avalible for way cheaper than BR's retail. The main attraction factor is that Bond wore it and Bond doesnt usually wear mass produced mall store garments. To put it bluntly, if this was a Banana Republic peacoat, i would say the more the merrier but this signature piece deserves to be released in a limited edition to make it more special to those who have it and also allowing it to retain (potentially increase) it's value. Emotions really have nothing to do with it.
  • GatsbyGatsby GermanyPosts: 44MI6 Agent
    singhammer wrote:

I got the same reply.

That's not good. I'm slowly getting frustrated with this whole affair :(
  • dr godr go Posts: 50MI6 Agent
    Gatsby wrote:
    singhammer wrote:

I got the same reply.

That's not good. I'm slowly getting frustrated with this whole affair :(

Hi
    Sure, yours should ship this Friday.

Shipping doesn't take too long, typically 5 to 7 business days from the time it leaves our facility in Alabama, so hopefully you'll have the coat in hand by the end of next week.

Let me know if you need anything else.

The above was the message I got from Graham when I enquired about the shipping date on the 8/11/12.
    Feel for the guys whose coats will be delayed. It is disappointing that there are delays as having having the item at the time of the movie buzz is the most fun. I saw Skyfall 2 weeks ago in London and as much as I loved it, the 'buzz factor' does fade slightly. It also stung when I paid the heavy shipping and custom fees. But maybe the expense and wait be worth it when it finally arrives!
    Anyway, I'll see what transpires...
  • MinkGloveMinkGlove Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    Hi to everybody - just joined this forum after being just a follower for quite a while.

I was among the first to order the peacoat and just got the message from BR that mine cannot be shipped either. Seems like the non-US customers (I am living in Germany) are regarded as less significant by BR.

Have to say that I find this very disappointing. I don't really care how many jackets they will sell. But after having waited almost eight weeks now (and having paid almost 800 E at that time), it's sort of frustrating to hear such message.

Could Mantis or someone else with good connections to BR please try to find out the exact expected delivery date? That would help me a lot deciding whether or not to cancel the order. A "couple of weeks" could also mean some time after Xmas, which is miserable timing for a winter coat...

Anyway, I know that some of you will feel the same way. But let's not forget: Classic first world issue